Teeny Tiny Hideouts

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, Mar 17, 2007.

?

Choice for deep concealment

1. Beretta auto, such as the 21A (.22 or .25)

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. Derringer style weapon

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Mini .22 like the NAA revovers

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. Something else

54 vote(s)
    65.1%
  1. We talk often here on TFF about appropriate pistols and revolvers, and also about adequate calibers, for use in concealed carry. I suspect just about anyone here would agree that, given the option, most all of us would prefer at least a 9mm or better for self-defense. I have no argument with that and I know I myself certainly prefer something with reasonable stopping power given the choice. Yet, I would argue also that there are times, for some of us anyway, when a weapon large enough to handle a 9mm or .38 special simply can't be concealed adequately. I'm talking here about really "deep" concealment, a firearm that can truly be totally concealed in a front or hip pocket, or perhaps elsewhere, and not reveal its existance short of a full body search. Given that sort of perameter, what would you choose? I've given some possible choices in the poll, but please do not feel limited by those. Also, while we are on the subject, what would you carry it in? Loose in a pocket? In some kind of pocket holster? If so, what kind?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2007
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Kel-Tec P3at with a pocket knife clip, Carried hooked to my wallet.
    I know it ain't on the poll but that is my .02
  3. Not a bad choice, Southern, assuming you can conceal it well. The clothes I must often wear makes something even that large (which is not really all that big) difficult to conceal. Where I work, firearms are absolutely forbidden, CCW or not. If I choose to carry anyway, it must be concealed so well that there is NO possibility it might be seen.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

The Keltec P32 is marginally smaller than the P3AT. I comfortably carry one in my pocket, without holster every day in the same scenario as yours. If you can carry the Beretta, the Keltec is a better choice, and it's lighter.
    The only other options are the mini revolvers or a Browning-style .25. Davis did make their double derringer in .32 ACP for a while. They are small, but don't hold up well.
    You could have a Kydex neck holster made for a slightly larger gun, and wear it under the front of your shirt.
    Bill
  6. ilts

ilts New Member

P-32 right front pocket holster.
  7. pawn

pawn New Member

maybe a j-frame 38 +P revolver with a pocket holster to hide the gun print... I intend to earn my ccw license soon, i like the idea of a "pocket gun" perhaps a taurus or smith and wesson.

-pawn :)
  8. I have several J-frames and carry them often, Pawn, and yes, I have both kinds of pocket holsters for them if needed. Problem is, they are still too big sometimes.
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I have a NAA 22 loose in my front pocket 100% of the time.
    (ok, unless I am in a court room, etc.)

I carry this IN ADDITION TO, whatever else.

With the amount of "lint" that gets in this, I would not trust ANY semi to work, if I had forgotten to de-lint it for a while. I do keep a good eye on it, and it is EASY to blow out the lint, and run a cloth through it. I would trust this little revolver to fire under "almost" any circumstances.

I don't expect to get into a long drawn out shootout with this little critter, but if there were an emergency, it's better than nothing. Also, if the bad guys get your regular carry gun. This one could be EASILY overlooked by them. Had a police officer pat me down once, he didn't find it. ;)

P.S.
    Just to stop the speculation, he pulled me over because my plates were too dirty to read. He saw the Buck knife I was carrying on my belt, and patted me down. Have I ever mentioned that I've been told that I may resemble a grizzly old biker looking dude?
    I don't blame him, "I" would have patted me down too. :p :D :D
  10. durk

durk New Member

What about an ankle holster for some of them small revolvers? I think they make some pretty comfy ones.:)
  11. Bill DeShivs

Ankle holsters are a great way to build your leg muscles and carry a gun that you don't need to get to.
    Bill
  12. Precisely, Bill. :D
  13. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Since I can no longer reach my teeny tiny hold out, what is the problem?

LL
  14. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Adittionaly I would consider a NAA .32 ACP
  15. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree, although I did carry a Model 36, and later a Model 60, on the ankle several years as a back-up, including in the courtroom [back during the 60s/early 70s].

I also carried my Baby Browning loaded with Winchester Supre X HPs in either my front trouser pocket or jacket pocket. When you were in my line of work and living in a pure redneck area, threats to one's life or the family's members lives came more often than one would imagine.....

Neither were ever seen or known about other than by the Presiding Judge and the Attorney General.
  16. obxned

obxned New Member

I love my P3AT, but if I need something even smaller, a mini-revolver is not a bad choice. I have owned one, and while .22 is not a one-shot stopper, it can be shot accurately enough and it does have 5 rounds.
  17. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Mine is the NAA 22 Mag revolver. Lot of firepower for something so small and you can hide it anywhere.
  18. SARG

SARG Member

How about the AMT 380 Backup ? I have one that I used to carry but have opted for the J frames and Glocks lately. I was just thinking about acquiring some of the 380 Ranger T ammo to see how it performed.
  19. SARG

SARG Member

Wait a minute....Let's talk about that. I carry a J frame in a open top Galco while on duty and when I'm sitting in the car the ankle gun is the one I reach for when someone... "shall we say strange? " approaches the vehicle.
    They never know I have my hand on the grip and I get the warm fuzzy feeling of the backup.
  20. Bill DeShivs

Ankle holsters work well for that scenario.
    I can't think of any other uses, though.
    Bill