1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Tell me about my 1911

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jackman, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

WWI 1911 whats it worth? (pics)

I have my Grandfathers model 1911 service pistol its serial #57420 , it was brought home after WWI ,is it possible to tell the year and anything else about this gun? I will be firing it this week I took it to a gun shop had it checked out and was told everything is in good shape and ready to fire, it has not been shot in probly 60 or more years I am chomping at the bit can't wait to chamber a round.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

How about some pics? Is it a Colt? Just guessing that it is a 1913 Colt but that is a guess without more info.
  3. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Ill try pics I am challenged in that area...... Yes its a Colt I did find a date for the serial number which makes it a 1913.
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Re: Tell me about my 1911 (pic)

Another old thread now with a pic its my Grandfathers WWI service gun he brought it home from France in 1918 I ahd it all checked out at a gun shop he replaced a couple of springs abd said it was safe to shoot we have since put about 400 rds through it having fun but a more modern less historical piece is high on my want list...

Any comments are welcome:)

[​IMG]
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

That's an awesome pistol with an awesome history the older colts with the patina look always catch my eye wish I had my grandpa's service weapon when he was in his seventies he could still tell me the serial numbers I wish I would have thought to write them down..
  6. Danny

Danny Member

Hello,
    I have several of these older babies. What is the SN# on yours?
    Thanks
    Danny
  7. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Serial#57420 ,,,,,,,, are you up on ways to tell if this 1911 is a rebuild? Just behind the trigger and forward of the grip is a round stamp I can't tell what it says but it is there , other than the Colt horse stamp on the rear upper there are no marks on this gun which leads me to think its not a rebuild.
  8. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I like the patina too I wish I did a before pic though cause this unit had tons of patina almost a goner from sitting in a barn tool box for 50 years :( oddly enough Gramps kept the magazines warm and dry in the house :rolleyes:..
  9. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Re: Tell me about my 1911 (pic)

Any thoughts on the value of this 1911 with two original mags, military web belt and WWI holster.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  10. Jackman

Jackman New Member

11. Jackman

Jackman New Member

12. Jackman

Jackman New Member

13. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Interesting, I was just going to post a similar thread, but the gun and holster are almost identical. This gun is a Colt serial number C90376. So would be interested in knowing the values. Thanks, David
  14. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Bigdel , mine is worth way more than yours :rolleyes: a pic speaks a 1,000 words , post a pic it helps...