Tell me about my 1911

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jackman, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

WWI 1911 whats it worth? (pics)

I have my Grandfathers model 1911 service pistol its serial #57420 , it was brought home after WWI ,is it possible to tell the year and anything else about this gun? I will be firing it this week I took it to a gun shop had it checked out and was told everything is in good shape and ready to fire, it has not been shot in probly 60 or more years I am chomping at the bit can't wait to chamber a round.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

How about some pics? Is it a Colt? Just guessing that it is a 1913 Colt but that is a guess without more info.
  3. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Ill try pics I am challenged in that area...... Yes its a Colt I did find a date for the serial number which makes it a 1913.
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Re: Tell me about my 1911 (pic)

Another old thread now with a pic its my Grandfathers WWI service gun he brought it home from France in 1918 I ahd it all checked out at a gun shop he replaced a couple of springs abd said it was safe to shoot we have since put about 400 rds through it having fun but a more modern less historical piece is high on my want list...

Any comments are welcome:)

[​IMG]
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

That's an awesome pistol with an awesome history the older colts with the patina look always catch my eye wish I had my grandpa's service weapon when he was in his seventies he could still tell me the serial numbers I wish I would have thought to write them down..
  6. Danny

Danny Member

Hello,
    I have several of these older babies. What is the SN# on yours?
    Thanks
    Danny
  7. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Serial#57420 ,,,,,,,, are you up on ways to tell if this 1911 is a rebuild? Just behind the trigger and forward of the grip is a round stamp I can't tell what it says but it is there , other than the Colt horse stamp on the rear upper there are no marks on this gun which leads me to think its not a rebuild.
  8. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I like the patina too I wish I did a before pic though cause this unit had tons of patina almost a goner from sitting in a barn tool box for 50 years :( oddly enough Gramps kept the magazines warm and dry in the house :rolleyes:..
  9. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Re: Tell me about my 1911 (pic)

Any thoughts on the value of this 1911 with two original mags, military web belt and WWI holster.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  10. Jackman

Jackman New Member

11. Jackman

Jackman New Member

12. Jackman

Jackman New Member

13. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Interesting, I was just going to post a similar thread, but the gun and holster are almost identical. This gun is a Colt serial number C90376. So would be interested in knowing the values. Thanks, David
  14. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Bigdel , mine is worth way more than yours :rolleyes: a pic speaks a 1,000 words , post a pic it helps...