Tell me what I have, please!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Poppin Fresh, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Poppin Fresh

Poppin Fresh New Member

I have aquired a small .22 cal handgun after the death of my wifes Aunt. It is a XL Double Action, Hopkins & Allen Arms Co., Norwich, Ct. It is a six shot,nickell plated with what appears to be a two piece wooden grip. Has a serial number of 804 in the grip. Just curious the age not really interested in the value.

Hope to take it to the range tomorrow and give it a try!
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

H&A made several slightly different guns using the "XL DOUBLE ACTION" name. They were made from around 1875 to 1907, in the black powder era. While H&A guns were of reasonable quality, I recommend you not shoot that gun with modern ammo.

While H&A guns are now gaining some collector interest, it is pretty much limited to a few models and to guns in like new condition. Even so, value would run about $200 tops, with average condition bringing half that.

Jim
  3. Poppin Fresh

Poppin Fresh New Member

Thanks for the information. I figured it to be around 90 years old, but was not sure. Will take your advise and keep it at home.