The Firearms Forum banner

Tell me what you think of this setup...10/22

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Bullseye 
#1 ·
Fajen Thumbhole Silhouette Stock Ruger 10/22 920 Barrel Channel Laminated Wood Midnight Finished Gloss with Adams & Bennett Barrel 920 Diameter 1 in 16" Twist 18" fluted Blue

Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Adjustable Objective Truplex Reticle Matte

Can you think of anything else I may need. I will be working the trigger later but wanted to get the appearance there first.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
The drop in trigger parts from Volquartsen are excellent. The Power Custom parts are only marginally better than stock and are no where near the Volquartsen parts for a quality trigger pull. I tried both on 10/22's that I have modified.

I also think the Volquartsen barrel is superior as I have been getting 1/2 groups at 50 yards regularly. A bit more pricey than your choice but accuracy cost money.

LDBennett

#5 ·
Welcome to TFF, tooclean!! Glad you stopped by; hope you'll visit and post often! :)

Bullseye, that's some good shootin'!! :)

#6 ·
If this will mostly be a paper puncher I'd maybe go with a smaller objective on your scope to keep the two axis closer together. If this will also be used for hunting where the critical first and last 5 or 10 minutes of light is important then I'd stick with your choice.
Another option I'd CONSIDER too is a carbon-fiber barrel.

You might be very suprised how well just a factory 10/22T with the hammer-forged heavy barrel will often shoot. I had a $1,200 Volquartsen custom and a $325 Ruger factory 10/22T and while there was some difference in accuracy, I was disappointed in the difference for the cost. I don't remember the numbers anymore but I think the Volquartsen's group was less than 1/4" smaller than the factory 10/22T heavy-barrel. I think the hammer-forged factory barrel looks kinda cool too.
I'm in no way trying to talk you out of a custom, nor am I saying all of those guns will shoot with the factory guns. But, that was the results of my two rifles.

#8 ·
Thank you guys very much for your opinions. I have done quite a bit of reading over the past couple weeks and from what I understand, it comes down to perference in alot of cases. Some basically "stock" guns shoot just as well as their more expensive counterparts, trigger work makes the gun much more enjoyable, and scopes are a matter of preference. I will be taking pictures of what I started with and how it ends up. Included will be comparisons shot groups before and after. I plan to have less than $600 in the entire setup as a final result. I just want to have a customized good shooting rifle that looks as well as it shoots, without breaking the bank.

Thanks again for your help,
Shane

#9 ·
LDBennett said:
The drop in trigger parts from Volquartsen are excellent. The Power Custom parts are only marginally better than stock and are no where near the Volquartsen parts for a quality trigger pull. I tried both on 10/22's that I have modified.

I also think the Volquartsen barrel is superior as I have been getting 1/2 groups at 50 yards regularly. A bit more pricey than your choice but accuracy cost money.

LDBennett
I have to disagree. I have sold and tested both. If you go to http://ruger22.com (my review/help info site) you can see a review that stacks Power Custom up against Volquartsen, and there Hammers (what most people buy) are almost identical for trigger/pull and creep and the power custom is not only cheaper, but actually performs better in accuracy because the VQ is thinner and needs shimming to get a good fit. Power Custom also offers a kit now with an adjustable set screw to eliminate creep...volquartsen does not and has quite of bit of trigger creep. As for there other products, they are priced too high for what I think you get. A clark or green mountain barrel is half of what a volquartsen costs and give as good or better results.

#10 ·
I will be working the trigger later but wanted to get the appearance there first.
Oh yeah, that appearance thing will do those upgrades a lot. Not saying you've gone about your project the wrong way, just have to laugh that you worded it this way.
I think you're off to a really good start there. I really like those blk/blk laminates When you finally get that trigger finished and head to the range, try a bunch of different ammo to see which your bbl prefers. then...enjoy the little tiny holes.
I'm pretty sure I'll be building up another 10/22 soon and likely will go with the silhouette stock this time. Blk/Blk or Blk/blue.

#11 ·
cheapgunparts.com

I don't know what "kits" you installed, but I have personally installed both! The Power Custom required stoning to get it to a creep free pull. The Volquartsen did not. The voltquartsen ended up with a better "feel" to me. Enough proof for me. Kits should not require stoning or "extra" parts to remove the creep.

I have about 25 pistols and 25 rifles and each has had some trigger work done by me. I know creep when I feel it.

LDBennett

#13 ·
LDBennett said:
cheapgunparts.com

I don't know what "kits" you installed, but I have personally installed both! The Power Custom required stoning to get it to a creep free pull. The Volquartsen did not. The voltquartsen ended up with a better "feel" to me. Enough proof for me. Kits should not require stoning or "extra" parts to remove the creep.

I have about 25 pistols and 25 rifles and each has had some trigger work done by me. I know creep when I feel it.

LDBennett
Power Custom's kit now has a set-screw in the sear that can be adjusted through an access hole in the trigger, and can be adjusted while you shoot until the creep is 100% gone, unless you bought one in the last month then you have not installed one. This has only been offered for a month or so. Even so, both VQ and PC hammers can require stoning at the safety engagement end of the sear in about 20% of the installs done. I agree that is a pain, but if the average person does not want to tinker, most gunsmiths will do a nice job for under $75. Me, I like to tinker.

#14 ·
cheapgunparts.com:

So those lucky enough to not have installed a trigger kit yet will be getting the enhanced version from Power Custom. What about all those that bought the older version? Do they get a free new version? I highly doubt it. Power Custom put out an inferior product (inferior to Volquartsen) and it has taken them a couple of years to modify it to be the equal of the Volquartsen kit! I'll still be recommending the Volquartsen kit as they did it right to start with. PC must have known that theirs left creep in the pull for why else did they change it. I think it is important for suppliers to give the best they can first time out, not after a couple of years, and many disappointed buyers!

LDBennett

#15 ·
LDBennett said:
cheapgunparts.com:

So those lucky enough to not have installed a trigger kit yet will be getting the enhanced version from Power Custom. What about all those that bought the older version? Do they get a free new version? I highly doubt it. Power Custom put out an inferior product (inferior to Volquartsen) and it has taken them a couple of years to modify it to be the equal of the Volquartsen kit! I'll still be recommending the Volquartsen kit as they did it right to start with. PC must have known that theirs left creep in the pull for why else did they change it. I think it is important for suppliers to give the best they can first time out, not after a couple of years, and many disappointed buyers!

LDBennett
I agree that manufacturer's should not put an inferior product out, but BOTH Volquartsen and Power Custom hammers have ALWAYS suffered from both creep and after-travel. Power custom is just the first to offer a solution (VQ has not yet, and while there New hammer coming out soon will have an even lighter pull, it still will not have addressed the creep problem.). as for inferior? Everybody is welcome to there own opinion, but I don't agree. neither do the recent hammer reviews like those on http://ruger22.com It shows how the Volquartsen hammer is thinner in width and requires shimming while the power custom does not. Outside of that creep and pull are almost identical (This was a few months back before the creep eliminating sear screw was introduced by PC).

#16 ·
but BOTH Volquartsen and Power Custom hammers have ALWAYS suffered from both creep and after-travel.

I ordered the VQ hammer some years ago and was amazed at the amount of creep that was felt after installation. I promptly sent it back.

A guy at the range had the entire VQ trigger unit installed in his 10/22 - something like $170 or so? Was not any better than my 10/22 with a stock hammer that has been honed and polished.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.