The Firearms Forum banner

Tell Me Why

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  williamd 
#1 ·
Have shot 22rf for over 60 years. Competion with Walther kkj-Olympic, Winchester M52D, various Remington's, Anshultz's, BSA's, etc. Probably over 50 different ones. But, I can make a 'relatively' cheap 10/22 shoot as well as any ... except perhaps the kkj!!! Not the 77/22, however. Can't get the 77/22 to do as well. A rabbit or ground squirrel would never know but a paper target knows!

G
#2 ·
I guess it all depends on how much money you want to spend on modding a 10/22.

My 40 year old Winchester single shot will outshoot a 10/22 out of the box.
There are no mods for my rifle. I'd bet that my 50 dollar Winny could keep up with any 10/22 that had 500 bucks in mods. Not sure what you mean by 'relatively cheap'.:eek:

#3 ·
What kind of groups can you get with your 77/22?
The reason I'm asking, I have an older 77/22 and "it" will out shoot the ruger 10/22, but unlike the 10/22, it's picky on what ammo goes through it.

#4 ·
I guess it all depends on how much money you want to spend on modding a 10/22.

My 40 year old Winchester single shot will outshoot a 10/22 out of the box.
There are no mods for my rifle. I'd bet that my 50 dollar Winny could keep up with any 10/22 that had 500 bucks in mods. Not sure what you mean by 'relatively cheap'.:eek:
My most accurate 10/22 is out of the box Sporter Model! Superb! Most any knid of ammo. Bought it second hand at local pawn shop.

#5 ·
My most accurate 10/22 is out of the box Sporter Model! Superb! Most any knid of ammo. Bought it second hand at local pawn shop.
That's the way mine was, just about any ammo other then remington thunderbolts. My 77/22 and the SR-22 are a whole different story on the ammo they like...:(

#6 ·
What kind of groups can you get with your 77/22?
The reason I'm asking, I have an older 77/22 and "it" will out shoot the ruger 10/22, but unlike the 10/22, it's picky on what ammo goes through it.
My 77/22 will shoot about 1.5 inches at 50 yds. My best 10/22 will half that, consistently. The 10/22 digests any ammo accurately ... just a ragged hole. The 77/22 does vary with ammo type. It likes Eley but I don't plink with that! A Remington block of 22rf that I have had for a decade works quite well in the 77.

My 77 is one of the 'green' stock models (thin laminations) with a Leupold VX. Got it all for $400 on a consignment. Scope retails for near that, so I am not complaining. Just surprised that the bolt is less accurate.

#7 ·
My 77/22 will shoot about 1.5 inches at 50 yds. My best 10/22 will half that, consistently. The 10/22 digests any ammo accurately ... just a ragged hole. The 77/22 does vary with ammo type. It likes Eley but I don't plink with that! A Remington block of 22rf that I have had for a decade works quite well in the 77.

My 77 is one of the 'green' stock models (thin laminations) with a Leupold VX. Got it all for $400 on a consignment. Scope retails for near that, so I am not complaining. Just surprised that the bolt is less accurate.
Your 77's just like mine minus the Leupold...and sounds like you got one heck of a deal on it, considering the price tag on them!
And I'm as well suprised that the bolt is less accurate?
I bought a 10/22 stainless/laminated stock about 15yrs ago and ended up selling it...still beating myself up to this day. But as far as accuracy,(77/22) I havent been able to beat it with my other 10/22. It's right there so to speak.

#8 ·
Stating generalizations on accuracy is meaningless because when done that way it is relative to the shooter's experience. It only makes sense to talk about numbers when comparing. It makes sense to shoot at the same distance, the same group sizes and average the result over at least 5 groups. Pretty much the standard is:

50 yd range
bench rested
scoped rifle
ammo the gun likes
5 shot groups
average of five groups

Under the above criteria my Volquartsenized 10/22 will shoot 1/2 inch groups. My CZ Varmint in 17HM2 also shoots 1/2 groups. My entry level Anschutz (model 64 action) Silhouette with adjustable trigger shoots 3/8 inch groups. Others may be able to get these guns to shoot better but that is my results.

Lets hear some NUMBERS on what is accurate for all of you under these standardized conditions.

LDBennett

#9 ·
I've shot 10/22's for years and then bought an Annie 64. There is absolutely no comparison. With the same ammo and same conditions, the Annie will outshoot the 10/22 everytime. It's a pleasure to shoot something like that. It got me chasing ever more accurate 22's. There is only so much a stock 10/22 is capable of.

#11 ·
You're comfort with a certain action/rifle has a lot to do with it. My dad, for instance, doesn't like my Annie. It's not what he is used to, so he shoots better with his Browning 52, for instance, than he does with my Annie. I like the super light trigger of the Annie and have adjusted to the action, so I can shoot both.

#13 ·
I've never shot a Model 52 or Remington 40X mostly because they are too expensive for me. My Anschutz is the entry level competition gun and that is about my limit, financially, for a bolt 22. But I also have come to like two stage triggers as provided on the better European guns and not the feather light single stage ounce triggers usually associated with American competition rifles. If I have to buy a Model 52 or a Rem. 40X to shoot them then I guess I'll never have the opportunity. To each his own, I guess.

LDBennett

#14 · (Edited)
LD, All my comparisons are your criteria ...
50 yd range
bench rested
scoped rifle
ammo the gun likes
5 shot groups
average of five groups. Though I do give up before 5 groups sometimes.

I have had some good ones - Remington's, BSA's, Anshultz's, ... but the best is a Walther kkj Olympic that came from Denmark with a lady who immigrated to Canada. Got it along with her husband's Shultz& Larsen 7x61 S&H. This couple (as old then as I am now!) liked me for some unknown reason! The kkj is the only one of its model I have even seen. Single shot, adjustible trigger down to DANGER, apperture sights front/rear though I also got a 10x Weaver with it, not a bull bbl, beautiful blonde/reddish French walnut stock. I liked to put up a 50 yd target then shoot the 4 corner tacks out in four shots and watch it fall. It would consistently shoot .30"-.35" (better at times) with black box Eley (pre-Remington Eley!). This was expensive ammo then so I used it mostly in matches. Still have a couple of boxes. It is my benchmark rimfire. Have an Anshultz that is close. My Rem 40x was third. Some others that were really good. All were better than me ... and better than I deserved. But, I am still impressed by a 10/22 capable of 1/2 " groups essentially (I just have to polish trigger works!) out of the box! I think there are guns that are made after machinery has been calibrated that have better tolerances ... like the fabled Wednesdy vs Friday or Monday car. Yea, as an engineer I know that with today's techniques calibration is constantly monitored and tweaked but some guns are just better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.