tennessee takes preppers guns

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by ryan42, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

David Sarti is a doomsday prepper and was featured on feb 7th show.He has recently had all his guns stripped from him by the state of tenn stating that hes not mentally stable.David is disabled and has breathing problems and he told his dr the when he couldnt get his breath that was the closest hes ever come to taken his own life.David is a christian man and says he would never do that.He said it was a bad thing to say but he was trying to protray to the dr how bad the breathing episode was.guns was the only hobby he could still do and now he cant do that and they have taken his right to self preservation.I dont know how to post the link but if you go to CHANGE.ORG and type his name in the search petition box it will pull the story up and you can sign a petition they are sending the governer of tenn to try and get them back.I thought you all would want to know thank you.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

There are other threads about this.

This guy David may have said that, not actually meaning what he said. I have watched him on tv and get that impression that he talks with words to make his point. He may have used words that can be mistaken by others that dont know him well enough to understand he was not serious. Today it seems that you need to consult an attourney before you open your mouth and say anything.

Well lets say for a moment (just for giggles) that he was serious. What good did it do to take his guns away? If he really wanted to kill himself he could use a rope or jump off a bridge, razor blade, ect. But i guess since they have his guns he will certainly not kill himself now. Since when was it the responsibility of the govt to make sure you dont kill yourself? OK (just for giggles again) if the govt really does care what are they doing about his well being right now?
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Sorry I didnt see any other threads before i posted,thank for telling me Ryan
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

any excuse to remove guns , these shows are setting folks up
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I agree,I wouldnt show my guns on tv if it were me,the least people know what I got the better
  6. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Living in Tennessee I can honestly say I feel sooooo much safer now......:rolleyes:
  7. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

That's why I would never go on any kind of TV show, and don't discuss anything other than my current complaint with a doc. Just things people don't need to know about me.
  8. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Even in Tennessee doesn't a disabled person have to be judged mentally unstable by doctors and lawyers expert testimony in a trial of sorts? My brother, who suffered from Alzheimers related Dimentia had to be examined by a doctor,nurse and lawyer before being judged incomponent.
  9. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I am sure that if the local PD hears about you and sees some weapons on TV that they are interested in possibly liberating from the PD after they are seized.....well a PD would never do anything in the way of self-interest would they????? Like when they drag race impounded cars and shoot impounded guns are the ranges.....hmmmmmmmmm.
  10. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I am very familiar with this. I had someone send me a link to the vid he posted about what happened.

First, I don't think he is crazy. Different, eccentric, yeah, but not mentally defective.

Here is what went wrong according to me and me only.

First, if you are a prepper, don't put yourself out there like that. Making videos on youtube and having a following of people is a mistake if you are trying to prepare for some type of SHTF situation. There is a thing called OPSEC. Keep quiet about what you have or have done and only share your preps/plans with those close and you trust that will benefit not come back to take what you have.

Second, he made another mistake by being on the NATGEO special show that was and is geared to make label all preppers as weird and fringe society folks.
    They edit those things to make you look worse than you are and he probly didn't even get paid for it. I have talked to the girl Megan out of Houston on that show and she said she didn't get paid either.

Third and most important, never, never kid with a Dr. or and Medical staff or LEO about suicide.
    They can't take chances that you might be serious.
    I think the DR way over-reacted in this case. He complained about periods of not being able to breath and was tested for heart problems but was clear. The Dr suggested a breathing tube and he joked about he would rather be dead than have a tube sticking out of him.
    Even after trying to clear it up with the Dr. he was followed home by the Sheriff after refusing to go to the ER on his own and forced to go the the ER and then admitted for 3 days for observation against his will.

after being released, I don't know how long, days or weeks, he tried to buy a Glock and was turned down on the NICS check and he got a letter saying he had been declared mentally defective and could no longer buy guns.
    As far as I know, they didn't come and take his guns only prevent him from buying more.

The NRA, after showing interest at first, has so far not helped this guy, and he said that the GOA and Larry Pratt is helping him. I do not know to what extent.

Here is my conclusion. This guy is a fellow American. Maybe some of us wouldn't be his best buddy or want to live next door, but he has the same God given rights as we do. A mistake or two on his part should not have ended up with him losing the right to buy and possibly own guns.
    If they do this to him and the rest of us allow it, it only empowers the "system" to do it to more of us. A few years ago, there was a movement to disarm any war vet with PTSD symptoms. Think about that.

I hope this guy gets support from all of the gun community and from the GOA to reverse this process within the state of Tennessee
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  11. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

12. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I signed, thats just wrong.
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Hmmm..I would have expected the southern states to be more likely to defend the right to keep and bear arms. I will certainly go and sign the petition, though I've always had doubts about the effectiveness of on line petitions.
  14. yetiman

yetiman New Member

I had a brother in law who liked to take pain pills and drink whiskey. One night he grabbed his wife and put a loaded gun to her head in front of the children......A judge ruled that he could no longer own guns so they were all taken out by his father. I'm sure some of the same reasoning went into this decision, so maybe he can be declared sane and given his property back. Bottom line is, if you are dumb enough to go on a television show that is going to portray you as a freak then don't joke about killing yourself to your doctor or shrink........
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Whether or not appearing on the TV program was dumb or not is irrelevant. There was nothing in what he was purported to have said to this doctor that would warrant having his right to keep and bear arms infringed. The man seems quite rational to me regardless of the fact that he's preparing for an event that others think is unlikely. This is an example of how too many people in our society today want to promote their own sense of importance by sticking their noses in other peoples business.