Terrorism

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by UncleFudd, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Now, I do believe the discussion of definitions is over at this point, as everyone has had a shot at looking in the dictionary and cementing our ideas of what terrorism is. I believe that most members here are ready to resume a discussion of terrorism.

I am not convinced that overt terrorist attacks against our nation are effective. The American people, when kicked in the groin, do not fall to the ground and roll around in pain for some extended period of time. They have more of a tendency to get mad and kill the one that hurt them. My fear is not for what any terrorist might directly do to us, but it is more of what we might do on an individual and personal basis as a result of such attacks. I fear a race war in our country more than I fear suicide bombers. The terrorists, on average, have not possessed the intellect to be very successful in their damage to us. The American people, when aroused by continued attempts, will be far more effective in their retaliation.
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Geeez guys...chill. As you all know I'm not really very fond of Islam. However in just briefly skimming through the posts on this thread I don't see anything that offensive in the Doctors comments. He was making a valid point about what actions truly qualify as terrorism versus what actions we choose to call terrorism. Are we so narrow minded that we have to banish those with whom we disagree? By traditional definitions the Doctor is right; fear and intimidation are often used as a means of motivating change in the actions of others. The degree to which violence offends our sensibilities seems to be the determining factor on whether we choose to call it terrorism.

The word terror is thrown around so much these days that the meaning is mutating and evolving. Maybe it's time for a new definition. Perhaps we could say that terrorism is any act of violence displaying a wanton disregard for the safety of innocent persons, designed to effect change through fear and intimidation.

I would argue that what we choose to call terrorism depends largely on what side we are on. The then new guerilla tactics displayed by American revolutionaries was considered terrorism by the brits. Sniping at someone from behind a tree then running was downright unsportsmanlike. To many, zionist groups struggling to form the new state of Israel, commited terrorist acts (see King David hotel).

So let's be a little more tolerant. After all, dialogue is how we begin to understand others. That doesn't mean we have to accept their point of view, just understand it.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

The post was removed, it was filled with profanity directed at everyone that interacted with him. Inappropriate and juvenile.
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Oh, I didn't see that. Sorry. There I go jumping to contusions again.;)
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

There are quoted remnants of the tirade in post #55. I'm always shocked when someone breaks that name-calling rule with profanity. :rolleyes: Eventually, they all snap and start flinging the bad words around, since everyone here is talented at getting them going. :D
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Geez... if I'd have seen that I'd have never defended him. Nope, we don't need that.
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

LOL!!!

I read your first post, and thought "Good GRIEF! ROMT must have been in Basic Training a LOT more recently than I have, if that doesn't look offensive to him!!

Wheew!
    Glad THAT is straightened out!
  8. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

you are so right PC, once you call em out they generally degrade into yelling, cussing, insolent persons. Seen it lots.
  9. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Shucks Terry, your post that named me seems to have been addressed in the course of the thread. Terrorism is a highly charged subject. I get the impulse that says we should be getting some things worked out here, but that doesn't help much. You can dream up any number of scenarios, and that's all it amounts to, is dreaming.
    What I haven't seen is any discussion about the frequency of stuff that amounts to terrorism in our existing world. Specifically, crime in places where OC is allowed, vs. places where guns are strictly controlled. Things like that. I think that's the biggest deterrent to Mumbai style attacks here. An armed society is a polite society...
  10. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

From yet another frame of reference and getting back to OP's original question, I was always told that attempting to deal rationally with an irrational situation is the stuff that crazy is made of. Terrorism is from our viewpoint inherently an irrational act focused upon randomly achieving some type of maximized and hopefully widespread damage, collateral damage and then of course, recognition for same. Therefore, the only real way to battle it is that you have to get totally in tune with it. That means that today the multitude of really warm and fuzzy things that we felt really secure about in our lives as we grew up in the 50's through the 90's need to be closely re-examined in light of our changing environment. Suffice it to say that the old comfy infrastructure in our country was not designed to repel or inhibit even low level acts of terrorism. Our entire view of the world was different way back then. If you wish get a good dose of the fear of God, talk to anyone in the know of our public utility arena for an eye opening view of our country wide infrastructure vulnerabilities. We as a country are just hyper vulnerable at any number of levels and we need to harden as much of our infrastructure as we can as quickly as we can, as well as seriously ramp up our widespread potential threat awareness. Thus, your re-examination of the tactical lay of the land in light of all of the recent terrorism activities and the numerous threats of future activities is not paranoid, but only prudent. And unfortunately, what we might do at this point is almost way too little and way, way to late. So, being hyper aware of your physical surroundings, the constituency of the crowds and then avoiding situations where your personal risk factor is higher only makes sense. When it comes terrorism today, you are pretty much on your own and it is totally up to you to do those things to save yourself and your family.
  11. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Thanks to all who have stopped by and left their thoughts, ideas and comments. We do not all have to agree and as we are human, we will digress and unfortunately it does result on occasion to name calling and back-biting. One thing making it a successful post to begin with is for it to cause each of us to think which can't be all bad. And to think this is nearly a year old and still quite active is a true complement.

Sorry I did not get back sooner or interject more of my original thoughts. But serious health matters have kept me occupied for the lack of a better term.

It is true that we are threatened (under constant threat) by the radical Muslim factions. Are we to disregard or forget the thousands who died on 9-11? Or should we ignore the death threats against the producers of the comedy show where they are always killing Kenny who used Allah in jest during a show. Or perhaps pass on the woman cartoonist from the Seattle paper who had to be placed into the witness protection program because she made a cartoon using Allah. Are there not terrorist training camps inside our borders in several states? Are not Osama and hundreds of other radical clerics calling for the extermination of ALL INFIDELS? Are their Imams not demanding we allow them to practice Sharia law here in this country that has ON LAW, THE CONSTITUTION?

But my original post was not about Muslims in particular nor about the mexican drug runners now occupying thousands of acres of Southern Az. It is about terrorism period and in any and every fashion and name. Put any name or face or religion or race on it you wish, there may be bad guys who will attempt to cause you and your loved ones serious harm.

The question was and remains, are you preparing and doing everything in your power to avoid danger and dangerous situations, be aware of your surroundings, hardening your perimeters and training along with or including practicing with the tools you have chosen to use for your personal protection?

We are a land of law abiding, God fearing, friendly, courteous, and giving citizens. IN spite of the threats, we obey our laws (as law abiding gun owners probably more so than any other faction in this land). I/we will not go out and look for the very animals who threaten us and our families and friends. We will use our elected officials and the courts and the laws of this land to stop them if and when possible. But make no mistake, many are we who will do whatever it takes to remain safe and sound in our homes and any place we may find ourselves at any given time.

Therefore my primary challenge is to make my home as safe and to make it appear to be too difficult to even attempt to cause me problems. My neighbor looks easier and I also placed a sign in my yard with a large hand pointing to his house saying, "He has gold coins and is an unarmed, anti-gun, liberal". LOL
    I also try to stay away from large gatherings and when or if I do attend I try to be even more vigillent and aware in and of my surroundings.

As for thedoctor, my first thought is that he is a troll. If not an he is truly, Muslim he has actually proven my point yet I would ask one question, (probably rhetoric). Sir, if or when the shtf, how will you avoid using your catapult, blades etc against the infidels? For unless you read and follow something other than the Koran/quran, you will have no choice unless you plan to forfeit your own life for one or all of us.

Stay safe and thanks for all the thoughts and great comments.

UF
  12. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

One more item to bolster my concerns. Take a few minutes to watch and listen. The threat is here and growing primarily because of our laws and our gutless leaders. We just keep capitulating and it will only be a matter of a very short time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEmzvAVacLU

UF
  13. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Aha!!! Speaking of a shortening time frame... Check in on the front page of this website each day:
    http://www.debka.com/
    -and I PROMISE that you will see how quickly things are progressing. Iran, and the alliance that they continue to build is bound and determined to destroy Israel. We know that the US will not stand by and watch. It's a matter of ever-shortening time before we are directly involved with Iran. Consider now how completely the US and Britain have been infiltrated by Muslims. There will be terrorism on American soil like you daren't dream of right now. In your face, and in your streets.
  14. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

If the original question is how "can we be prepared to resist terrorism"? The answer would be something like this...
    We would need lots of well armed, well qualified,well trained and very alert people availabe at every possible venue. (Continue in the small arms training, add some hand to hand. Krav Maga would be a good choice. Keep some bomb disposal experts nearby.)They would need an effective communication system
    to quickly call for reinforcement and pursuit. And an effective nationwide program to detect threats and process the information would be a plus.
    Probably the best model in the modern world is Israel.

If the question is how prepared are we, the answer is not very.

If the question is can we trust the govt. to protect us? I would recommend having a back-up plan in place.

One more thing that would be necessary for the preservation of our country and our way of life is a healthy dose of loyalty/patriotism. That will help to hold things together if we aren't all specially trained anti-terror warriors.
    One of the things we're up against with Mexico is a number of special forces soldiers specially trained by the U.S who defected to the drug cartels choosing money over national well-being.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  15. dualsportrider

dualsportrider New Member

Well in response to the doctor, the teacher was telling the student the truth. The police officer was telling the drunk the truth. And the father was telling his sons the truth. Some warnings have a value of growth to them if they fall on prudent ears.
    No where in this scenario was anyone blowing up planes, buildings or people. Now if Osama Bin Laden is telling his followers that they will go to heaven and have so many virgins at their feet for going out and blowing people up. That would be a lie.

Refer to page one.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  16. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

"America is at war but Americans are at the mall" sounds like a good thing. It would play right into the terrorists hands for Americans to panic. Maintaining the American way of life is crucial to thwarting any terrorist agenda. Were it up to me, I would advocate bringing the war to them, including and not limited to eradicating entire countries or at least causing enough death and destruction as to make it impossible for them to carry on any semblance of normal life. Demoralizing the citizenry would effectively halt any support they might give to any group that professes to fight for a cause. We can afford to be humanitarian when the enemy is vanquished. It would serve as an example to any retro-religious/political warlord who would think about teasing the big dog. Peace at any price didn't work for England, France or any other country that tried to placate Nazi Germany prior to WW11. Nor did it prevent Japan from attacking Pearl Harbor. As much as we hate war, we should never sell our souls for peace. If the youth of our nation must die, let them die for complete and unconditional victory, not for the whim of some corrupt political agenda which would enforce on its own people that which we fought against a generation before. This should be our battle cry,"when we're done with them, the only place Arabic will be spoken will be in hell!"
  17. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

Pretty well said.