Test fired my cast bullets!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Feb 18, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

I packed a 5 gallon bucket with dirt and padded it down hard. I placed a 1/4 " steel plate on the under the bucket. I loaded the case with 5 grns of Power pistol and used a cci primer (not magnum) in a .38 special case. I fired the bullet into the bucket it went through 14" of packed dirt and into the plate and back up into the bucket. I retrieved the bullet it did not fragment just mushroomed from the impact onto the steel plate. I could see the rifling cuts in the bullet. The bullet was lubed with that Alox stuff ( it is all I have as of now). I will post a pic of the bullet.

Well let me know you think. O.k. Plano any suggestions or ideas as what to watch for?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Sounds like you're doing just fine, Frosty. Watch the chamber area for Alox build up. Have fun! What size did you size them to and why?
  3. frosty

frosty New Member

Plano, these are not sized. They are shot as cast. The reason why is because the mold I have is a Lee double cavity that has the multiple rings to gather the Alox. Lee states that these bullets can be shot as cast due to the design of the mold. I have only shot one bullet just to try it. I measured my cast bullet and compared it to a commercial bullet and they were the same. I am going to order the sizing stuff anyway.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The size of the bullet depends on your barrel size, not a commercial bullet. Have you slugged your barrel? After you slug your barrel, then you should size the bullet to .001" over the barrel for good accuracy.
  5. frosty

frosty New Member

I will need a digital caliper to get it that accurate for .001.
    Yes, I need to slug my barrel.
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

No you won't. I can read a dial caliper to .0001 of an inch and so can you if you look at it and read it right.
  7. frosty

frosty New Member

Yes, sir.:D