Texas Carry laws for non-residents?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by user_error, Dec 30, 2005.

1. user_error

user_error New Member

Can't really find this information on the net (packing.org is down), so I'll ask one of you state law experts/dealers here at TFF.

My brother in law is getting married in Texas next month. Usually I'd feel pretty safe, but while I'm there I will be going out to check out some local real estate and mobile homes to purchase, and I would like to open carry while I am there out in the boons (especially around Austin). I am an Arizona resident with guns registered in AZ. What are the TX laws governing non-resident open carry? Concealed carry? What about issues like how to transport the firearm while in a vehicle? Are there any caveats I should be aware of so I don't get myself in trouble?
  2. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

Do you have a concealed carry permit from your state? If not, Texas allows concealed carry in your vehicle if you are on a bonifide journey(ex. Traveling through the state.) however, once you check into a motel or location where you are staying your journey has ended. You may not carry a loaded weapon on your person or in your vehicle. Handguns should be stored unloaded and locked in the trunk.(with no permit) If you have a concealed carry permit from Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, or Wyoming you are cool.(you may carry concealed in your vehicle and on your person.)

I used the NRA Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States written by J. Scott Kappas to obtain this information.
  3. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

You forgot one thing Texas does not allow open carry period, unless you are on your own land.
  4. user_error

user_error New Member

Oh wow, I didn't know that! That itself is important. I am getting my ccw permit next week, so I will have to either keep it in my vehicle or keep a jacket on...

I guess I'm kinda ignorant... I would have thought Texas laws were more lax than Arizona, but that's probably just the stereotype. I greatly approve and defend Arizona's "open carry always allowed" and just figured the other "gun states" would follow suit. You TX residents: write your state legislature!
  5. Deputy Dawg

I personally wish Texas had the same open carry law as AZ..
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

The handiest place to get answers to questions like yours is at Packing.org. They have a synopsis of the laws for each state and reciprocal carry items.

Try http://www.packing.org/ and pick your state(s) in the box upper left corner of the main page.
  7. Deputy Dawg

Law Enforcement can carry a concealed weapon in all fifty states I would like to see a CCW law passed that would allow the samething for everyone else.
  8. user_error

user_error New Member

Yup, I have since visited packing.org and read the laws. The website was down at the time I started the thread, though. Another hacker attack sponsored by Nancy Pelosi, I assume.
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Packing.org has a different take on "traveling", perhaps due to a recent change in Texas law:

http://www.packing.org/state/texas/#statecar_law
  10. Deputy Dawg

11. Dawg, does all this mean that if I drive my SUV in Texas with twin Ma-deuces mounted on top of the cab, it's legal? :D :p

Just kidding! Just kidding!
  12. berto64

berto64 Active Member

As long as they are CONCEALED and you have a class 3 license.

LOLOL

Might make an interesting test case.
  13. Deputy Dawg

I think that would work.........LOL