Texas gun laws(will be moving there shortly)

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by flyingcubby, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

In your latter example I would think the revenues would be on an annual basis as they wouldn't know until the end of the day if it was greater or less than 50% for that day. The TX law worked fine for me as I don't drink so don't hit the bars but my wife and I like an nice meal out fairly regularily when were in the 5th wheel. We will be back in the Keys for this winter and my NH permit is good in FL and I try to avoid carrying in violation of state laws and not press my luck. Sounds like spring training games are out as well so guess I have some learning to do.

In NH it's Statehouse, Courthouses and federal illegal like post offices and schools, etc. so the transition can be difficult when we travel and I'm sure I have been wrong more than I would like to know especially when it comes to restaurants. I guess that why they call it concealed carry.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

keep on talkin that way and a stray aussie just may show up
  3. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

RE, Utah license. Yep. That's a loophole that a lot of Texans are taking advantage of. You get a non-resident Utah license, it's valid in Texas. 4-hour class vs. 2 day class. They may change it, but I kinda doubt it. The CCL in Texas is just about, "Officer, he was threatening my life and the life of my children, and I was defending myself. And I won't say anything else until I talk to my lawyer." You have to be able to hit the broad side of a barn in a range setting. Then pay your bucks. Took three months to get mine back from the state, but they're buried in new licenses.
  4. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

Austin City-proper is a liberal bastion. Get outside the city, conservative. Nice place to go for parties, theaters, etc. Also if you have a CCL, you can bypass the metal detectors to get into the State Capital building. He He.
  5. flyingcubby

flyingcubby New Member

Thanks Dave, anything is better than what we have here. The crazy laws seem to pertain to the agerage joe that just works hard pays taxes. The worst that are non law abiding have all the ak47s. mac 9s, 10s. The city I currently live in(Fresno) has a revolving door policy at the jail due to budget cuts. Here we have a large gang crimes and drugs. They arrest the fellons and depends on how full the jail is they my be just cited and let go. They due inforcements and they may arrest 50 at one time and if we are lucky they may keep 4 of those until trial. The Sheriff to meet her budget goal closed 2 floors of the jail and let go of 30+officers.Here we are close to a million residents in the incorporated and unincorporated area and need the space. Makes great sence???? go figure.
    Keep posting it just makes me want to hurry and move even if I half to give my house away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So any rules Texas or any of the other free states have will seem like a dream come true and heaven........Mike
  6. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

You will be free! Be free and get the heck outta that hole. A friend's boy was walking o school when they lived in excremento and some wanna be gangers took his shoes and coat.. Poor parent were scared to death and promtly packed up to move to more sane surroundings. Get out qwik before they seal the borders from exit-ers!!!
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

Texas does recognize Utah CHL but for how long? Several states, including New Mexico, no longer recognize Utah. Cross the state line and you're in violation.

For my money and time, I would go ahead and get a Texas CHL. It's easy, you can do it in one day at some places, and it's universally recognized in Texas. A stop where you show a Utah CHL may invite some unnecessary questions. Just sayin'.

But as far as what you can own, anything. Texas also allows machine guns and destructive devices. A very gun-friendly state. No restrictions on weapon type, size, mag size,ammo, anything. Welcome!
  8. kingchip

kingchip New Member

Austin is also a sanctuary city, among other things.
  9. redfred

redfred New Member

Yeah, Austin as about as liberal a city as you'll find here in Texas, but fortunately, they realize that gun ownership is a sacred trust in the Lone Star State. Once you get here and decide you want a gun, there are lots of choices. There are lots of gun stores, even in small towns - heck, especially in small towns - and there are gun shows somewhere in Texas almost every weekend. Even most Wal-Marts sell rifles and shotguns, but not "assault weapons" or handguns. If you buy from a dealer, you walk in, pick out what you want, and fill out a simple form. The dealer calls the state, gets an approval (assuming you're not a felon or mentally challenged). You pay for your new gun and head out the door. I have bought guns in less than 10 minutes.
    If you want to buy from an individual. it's even easier. Pay your money, get your gun. No registration, no license checks, no paperwork. I am meeting a guy tomorrow and trading one of my shotguns for his rifle. The deal will take place in a grocery store parking lot.
    I know things are pretty loose here, but I think that's the way the founders wanted it. Just remember, with the right to keep and bear arms comes the need to do it responsibly.
    Fred - Proud Texan
  10. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

I worry about buying a gun from someone I don't know that well.

I prefer to use my copy machine to scan in the seller's drivers license and my license on a sheet of paper that has the date of the sale or trade and S/N info that we both sign and we both get a copy.

It would sure save a lot of problems if your new gun was tied to a crime that happened prior to the date on your record.

As for carrying in a bar, I know too many guys who have a total personality change when they drink and I'd hate to be around if they had a gun when they're in nasty mode.
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I agree that if you are going to drink then you need to take some personal responsibility and leave your firearms at home. What I have a problem with is some of the dumb laws that are on the books and how they widely vary from state to state. In NH there are no restrictions, in TX it's fairly clear if it's a bar then no carry if it's a restaurant then you can (I know that isn't the law with the 50% revenue rule but that is pretty much how it works out) in FL it's no carry in bars and bar area's of restaurants so if the bathroom is on the other side of the bar make sure your bladder is empty before you enter and in other states you cannot carry where they serve alcohol. If this has to be legislated then maybe what they should do is say no drinking while you are carrying but even that is stupidly gray in interpertation. Does last night count on the morning after? It gets back to personal responsibility, up here we can carry most everywhere and there is no "blood in the streets" with bar fight shootouts between CCL holders. Given the responsibility people act accordingly without some on the dole bureaucrat telling us what to do.
  12. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

Howdy and hope you have a safe move pardner. Other than business I went there for, or our oldest daughter who moved to Semi Valley...nothing in CA ever held me. We can make room for yall here, for sure.:D

Always check yourself for final info and such, and despite best intentions of a forum , including my own , you obviously recognize these are important issues. Later google...Department of public Safety ( DPS ) Texas..for an ever improving web site link just for concealed carry....

As to weapons prohibited...also at convenience , search - Texas , Penal Code ...weapons...etc... For practical purposes...if you are clear per background Federal etc...to purchase/own a weapon, you will be same here.

Just a "couple" interesting points I pass along when people politely ask about our gun laws, as you have done.

-No "registering" per se...of weapons or owner. Just required pre sale
    background check. No limit per purchase or frequency, weapons/ammo.

- For CHL, always responsibility of user to be aware of locations, and
    a verbal or written notice of non allowance is reason to leave weapon
    off premise. As for bars....is a requirement per Texas to such places
    and their owners...if revenue is 51% from alcohol "served" , a sign called
    the ( 51 ) sign , white over blue...is required by place of business.

Otherwise, if not 51% , drinking in any section allowed, however, many
    CHL holders sometimes forget, or just dont know, the State holds them
    to a higher standard than John Q. Public. By this , I mean , in Texas we
    have the legal limit as others.... .08 , but, for a CHL carrying on their
    person , and having been drinking , there is NO limit. Any tested, smelt,
    etc, is bye bye License to carry. If you drink, lock it in trunk and leave
    it there , just " my " advice and opinion.

- Yes, recent laws around 2007, often referred to as "Castle Law" etc...
    ( Note " technically , no Castle Law officially in Texas ,as taught to me
    by DPS Legal, but name is used due to similarity to other States...etc.)
    enacted some weapon changes.

Two I find interesting are -

1- Yes, additions to "property" definitions ,to include or allow vehicles
    having a weapon , long as you own vehicle, would otherwise not be
    prohibited from weapon etc...and are legal resident and driving
    anywhere in Texas, and weapon(s) is out of sight.

2- Was also change made in 2009, you no longer are "required" to notify
    an officer or magistrate you are carrying, if stopped and asked for
    identification. This was done, because of law changes in item 1
    I listed above. State decided, rightfully so, a CHL holder should not
    be treated stricter than a regular citizen that could have a newspaper
    folded over his handgun and not have to say a word about it legally...

But for any local , remember , they took ALL penalties out of not
    furnishing CHL ID to an officer , but wording in Gov Code did not or
    wont get changed till Texas next Legislature...I teach to go ahead
    and identify, as a courtesy and other reasons.

As to the Utah carry license currently allowed here,you didnt hear it from
    me,but expect changes possibly next Session. States have a way of
    wanting to regulate ALL within their control, and especially revenue.:D

A current legal CHL Texas course is minimum 10-15 hours first time. And
    minimum 4 hours for renewal.

regards ,
  13. flyingcubby

flyingcubby New Member

Yellerdawg, thanks for the update.Now is the time to move to a different area where we have some family and can enjoy a little more freedom. Should have made the move back in the 70's but didn't. So now retired and want to have the enjoyment without Bigbrother with their hands on your shoulder all the time. Have been seeing all the good things, like the police don't seam to just slap the hands of the bad guys and then let them go. Gee what a change that will be. Thanks for the best wishes on the move...Mike
  14. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

Anytime Pardner...hope move works out.

One thing I didnt mention, but always get tickeled at....

Other States "may " have it, I dont know.....

But our Code and law has the usual provisions about a Municipality and such cant legislate arm control or confiscation, but of course can legislate local laws as to emergency conditions and public welfare, as to carrying/displaying firearms...etc...

But the one item I always smile at....in the code ( a carry over all the way from our State Constitution )..." A citizen make keep up to 25 pounds, and a Merchant 50 pounds of Black powder, that cannot be
    regulated by law....:D

So..I guess...get you a Musket, some fishin weights to melt....and you're never unarmed....:p:):D