Texas Hog Hunt

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by garydude, Jan 18, 2012.

1. garydude

garydude Member

A longtime friend invited me to south Texas to join him on his hunting lease for some hog hunting. The short version is- got one, just under a hundred pounds at just over 100 yards. Details below if you are interested.

My friend leases hunting property in south Texas, about 30 mins from Laredo. It is mostly thick desert scrub that has numerous dirt roads passing through it that allow for unobstructed shooting. The animals are brought out of the scrub by lightly spreading corn and grain on the road to be hunted, and if all goes well your target animal will shortly show up and present an opportunity. My buddy had pre-scouted this area and had noticed a small group of three wild hogs and upon my arrival at the ranch we corned the road. Thankfully the pigs cooperated. Three came out, two large and one small, and started merrily eating the corn about 150-200 yards away. Naturally I draw up on the biggest but my friend says "Don't shoot the big ones, shoot the smallest one." Of course I wanted the biggest, baddest one out there, but he insisted the small one was the perfect pig. After about 15 minutes of waiting for them to maneuver into a good position I was able to take the smallest at 105 yards with my buddies' 7 mag, factory federal ammo 150 grain noslers (I think). As you would expect the round was more than capable of leaving this little porker DRT; fully metabolically inept in very short order. A very humane kill. He weighed about 95lbs or so. We cleaned him up, took him back to the camp and had some of the meat marinated and grilled over a camp fire. Outstanding taste, and I can certainly see why I was told to shoot the little one as I'm sure the old boars would not have been as tasty.

We went out a couple of times more, but the hogs were very wary and never presented again for another shot.

All in all a very memorable hunt and one I would gladly do again!

Attached Files:

• hog2.jpg
      hog2.jpg
      File size:
      152.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

yep, that's perfect eatin size. the big boars are crap. With a 7 mag, I'd have tried toget them to line up and get a double. :D I've killed quite a few around here. Never been hunting in texas though. I trap them mostly around here though.
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I smell BBQ.............
  4. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Nice eating size. I prefer Feral hog meat over any other, domestic or wild.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I enjoy a great hunting story. I have never had the opportunity to hunt wild boar but I would like to.
  6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

feral hog is wild
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes.
  8. NEILT

NEILT New Member

9. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Pregnant females make the best eating. Nice, tender and juicy.
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The come with a built in appetizer (Piglet wings)... Was that wrong?