Texas Land?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kingnothingugm, Feb 24, 2009.

1. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

Does anyone have any info on acreage in Texas? Nothing too big. 5 acres more or less. Web links if you have any. I have always wanted land in Texas. Seems like as good a time as any to claim a piece of it for myself. I know some people buy land through Ebay, but finding a legitimate deal through Ebay is rare. Any info is welcome. Thanks all!
  2. islenos

islenos New Member

One must be careful with buying land in Texas. There are 5 or 10 acre lots for 300 to 500 an acre. Problem is the acreage is land locked, no water, no electrical and no road access. But if you just want land to own, it's cheap and taxes are the lowest around.
  3. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

www.realtor.com, and look at where you want. Stay EAST of I-35 or just west of it, and I would recommend Tyler/Palestine/Nacogdoches areas. The reason is that the acquifiers end just west of I-35 and if you have to have a well, it's very problimatical.

Land near Dallas is about $7500-$10,000 per acre, much cheaper in East Texas.

I've lived throughout this area all my life. Drop me a PM if you want some more info.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

look into the HILL county area. namely around Whitney TX, Land down there is relatively cheap and you have one of the best damn lakes in texas so close you could smell it. A family member just recently bought 10 acres right behind the Whitney high school, paid 55K for it and it has a small pond, a barn and running water and electric. The deals are out there. you just have to dig for them.
  5. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

That's what I meant by Ebay. Plenty of land in Texas for sale on Ebay with no way to get to it and no chance of building anything. Electricity wouldn't be a problem(I like solar, wind and generators if necessary:D) Water would be a little more difficult but I could deal with hauling water if I could just find those deals with actual road access or an easement which allowed access by vehicle, or horse even, without legal issues. I would just like a piece of quiet, undisturbed land where I could enjoy the peace and pass the time. Texas seems to be the best area for this with all the open untouched land available.
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Man, many years ago I got a wild hair to buy up a bunch of land. At that time I lived in Texas.

I found 100 acre pieces for $300,00 etc, central and east TX. Bummer.

Then I found 100 acre tracks for $10,000. Hmmmm. So I went and looked at one. It was down by the border. There was nothing but dirt and grass. NOTHING. Nowhere close to bring anything in, nothing. It was like Kuwait with scrubby grass. It was like a twisted version of a scene from Dune.

Just saying if you see a deal too good, look before you buy.
  7. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

Wonderful advice. Which is why I am here and not Ebay. I figure the good TFF members from TX and those that know TX would steer me in the right direction. Thanks for the help and advice so far guys,
  8. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

When and if I ever get back down there, I'll probably be heading to Austin for the music....

But one time I took a ride and I forgot what towns I drove through but I remember it being west of Dallas/Fort Worth....and the land was gorgeous....hill country....just beautiful....

I'm planning on going down for a visit in May....and can't wait!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Lori you must be taking about the mineral wells/possum kingdom area out in palo pinto/stephen county. It is absolutely gorgeous out there. I have driven a truck all over texas and that particular area makes me feel outta state. When my kids are grown I am going to purchase land out there...
  10. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:)

Have heard lot about 7R Ranch...no negatives yet ?...

www.7rranch.com/:cool::cool:
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

okay 1shot, heres the only negative i can think of, you have to be Bill Gates to live out there;)... It is a beautiful place, just pricey
  12. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

10-4 JLA....Ive heard good about it..but never a need to price it..it figures......

but hey....shouldnt be a problem for you.....Ive been cryin all day cause I went to the bank to get some money....and they said YOU had it all ?:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  13. islenos

islenos New Member

Now the question is, what are you looking for in the land. Texas has a very diverse landscape. I think the only thing we lack is a rain forest:D We Texans here on the board are scatter across this Great State, once you define your purpose and landscape requirements, I sure one of us could be your man on the scene.
  14. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Try to find with mineral rights intact.
  15. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

Thank you! and yes, I might look that way for land too.... if I can ever get out of NY!
  16. Blackhawk Dave

7R is a hype. Cheap land priced high. How else are they paying for all those ads?

Just be sure to check for water and electricity availability. Also, avoid the black gumbo land. It'll shatter a slab foundation and it's hard to grow things on, especially trees. Limestone caps run up to the surface on the west side of Ft. Worth, so you can have very rocky soil. You want trees, go south or east. You won't get any mineral rights unless you're real lucky, so you might end up with an oil/gas rig on your land, so check out what's going on in terms of that type of development.

You'll want rural electric service. We have deregulated electric companies (they stick it to you - try 35% profit margins for TXU and its successor). Also, more thinly populated counties in east Texas generally have lower taxes.
  17. topper

topper New Member

kingnothingugm, before ya buy land in texas, make sure it rains there sometimes. most of central and south texas is currently gripped in a devastating drought and no end in sight. i live in se texas and it's always dry here and has been for the last 31 years in my particular area, so check i out good.
  18. momo

momo Former Guest

I would recommend somewhere around Kerrville, its just WNW of San Antonio. I live in south Texas on the border with Mexico, if I had to move it would either be to Kerrville or Ruidoso, New Mexico.
  19. Blackhawk Dave

These outfits like 7R develop the land, then leave the homeowners holding the bag. We're doing an appraisal in one of these developments over on Lake Bridgeport. The people went in there, buying all the lots in one weekend. They haven't been able to sell one of these overpriced lots in over 2 years, the development's unfinished, and the developer won't account for the HOA monies.

Be very, very careful and do your research before jumping onto one of these developments. Always buy after the hype's gone.
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek: Uhhhh, The gunshop has it all now...;):p:D