The Firearms Forum banner

thank you vietnam veterans!!!

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Snakedriver 
#1 · (Edited)
im new to the forum and i just wanted to say-thank you for everything you did over there!!! im very proud of all of you for defending our freedom.
WELCOME HOME!!! :D sorry just seen a thred for the same post.

#3 ·
Thanks, SKS---the plains of Colorado sounds like the wide open spaces--and welcome here to the site where we enjoy each others company. Gunner and I were almost suburban neighbors over there, and at the same time too, but never got to meet---he was down the street in Hue and Quang-Tri and I was up on the north end of God's Little Acre at DongHa--just a hoot and a hollar apart but it took all these years for us to visit each other. They call me Chief around here but not because they are Indians but because that's what the Navy called me!!! Please tell us about you and yours---plenty of space here so embellish all you want--we do that frequently. Best regards, Chief

#6 ·
SKS,

Feel free to ask questions and join in on the forums any time.

It's nice to see young folks taking an interest in 'our' war and as Six said, Thank you for thinking of us.

#9 ·
Thank you sir.......

#13 ·
one thing i learned real fast when i got drafted in 1967. just go with the flow. you cant change what is going to happen. if a bullet in nam is going to get you well then it is just going to happen. i did my 2 years one in nam in the delta. got home in one peace and got back to living in the real world [ southern california in the late 60s.

#14 ·
Welcome (NAB)....and thank you for your service---what branch of service were you---I was in the Navy Seabees---had been my entire naval career. Many of the old-timers from WWII didn't think the Seabees lingered around but we did...hell, lots of folks thought when John Wayne 'buggered' that big old D-8 CAT into that Jap pill box, it was the bitter end---I refer of course to the 1944 movie, THE FIGHTING SEABEES.....Linger long troop---tell us some stories about you and yours....Why the 'handle', NOT A BIKER? Chief

#18 · (Edited)
For various reasons I've been avoiding this particular forum. I pulled ( volunteered) for 3 tours in 'Nam. First in 1961 as a "adviser" to ARVN and in other places that will be unnamed to the Rhade 'Yards. Back in 65, again in 1970. From the beginning I knew I could not fight to keep the corrupt government of Vietnam going. But as any grunt knows, we fought for our brothers in arms. PTSD was a part of me until 2001. That was the first time a civilian type said thak you for serving. The memories, although growing fuzzy are still with me. But the nightmares, being startled by loud noises and flashbacks have eased up considerably. Now I can smile when thinking of the good times I had with my Bro's in stand down mode and even in hot LZ's.Even in a firefight we could laugh at the morbid humor we used. Thank you from the bottom of my heart SKS 2005. Dan Hawk Msgt. Us Army Ret.

G
#19 ·
Welcome to VMBB, Dan. Glad to have you with us. We all know what you mean by being reluctant to get involved with anything that brings back any of the unhappier memories of Vietnam. I was much the same way, and I still am to some extent; indeed, we all are. Yet I believe that will not be a problem here on VMBB. This is just a place were we old reprobates can get together and BS about the world in general, remember some of the funnier or unusual incidents we experienced, and simply reminisce a bit now and then with other guys who shared much the same experiences. Somehow that seems to help in some odd way. I have found that to be true anyway. You'll find some very nice people here, ones who know how to listen.

#20 ·
Thanks to the Nam Vet's.

I enlisted 11 NOV 75 First and only Duty Station was the USS Prairie AD-15
Did 2 west pac cruises.. discharged 10 NOV 79 as a BM2/E-5

Reinlisted with California Air Nat'l Guard 163 Air Refueling Wing / Civil Enginer 1996-2002 Southern Watch rotation Prince Sultan Air Base with the 363 Air Expeditonary Wing formerly the 4404th PW (Khobar Towers) once again SSGT/E-5

Subic Bay !!!! Olongopo City !! Subic City !!!

I can Taste the San Miguel Beer and the smell of $hit River.... Ahhhh The time I had there..... :D

Monkey meat on a stick ??? love it !!!

God bless ALL who served and the Families of the fighting Men and Women...

#21 · (Edited)
PTSD was a part of me until 2001. That was the first time a civilian type said thak you for serving. The memories, although growing fuzzy are still with me. But the nightmares, being startled by loud noises and flashbacks have eased up considerably. Now I can smile when thinking of the good times I had with my Bro's .................
I know this is an old thread, but something said here by Dan Hawks struck a note. Around 1990 I joined the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association (VHPA)to be able to rekindle the bonds I had with my fellow pilots from Vietnam. We get together each year in a different city around the Country over the July 4th holiday. It's been a great experience for me to be able to share my memories with people that shared a common experience. We have over 14,000 active dues paying members now. My wife enjoys it as much as I do.

In the year 2000 we had our reunion in Washington, D.C. and the VHPA paricipated in the big 4th of July Parade down Constitution Ave. from the Capital past the White House to just past the Washington Monument. What a great experience that was!!! The applause of the crowd, the shouts of "thank you!" and "welcome home!", along with hundreds of salutes from men and women in uniform along the route was moving beyond description. As we marched past the reviewing stands in front of the White House filled with dignitaries the Commandant of the Marine Corp, and Chairman of Joint Chiefs called "attention" and snapped a slaute that they held until we had all marched past. Wow, there wasn't a dry eye in our crowd. There was a lot of healing that went on that day, it was clear that a now greatful nation appreciated our sacrifices and what we had done for our Country.

If any Vet. is still carrying that pain, find a group where you can belong and let it out. It feels so much better once you do. If you were involved with helicopters in Vietnam, our reunion over the 4th of July this year is in Philadelphia, Pa. and San Diego, CA next year. Come join us and enjoy the fellowship. Everyone is welcome! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.