Thanks Bob.

1K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  cointoss2 
G
#1 ·
polishshooter
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(10/28/01 1:05:08 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Thanks Bob.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was thinking on the way home, and some more today as I was fondling it, how even just a year ago I would not even have recognized the Astra at an auction except as "some cheap Spanish gun," much less bid on it, and been tickled to death when the guy said SOLD and pointed at me...

THANKS.

Couple of questions before I go shoot it this afternoon...

How common is it for the barrel not to match?

And it looks funny, having the barrel marked 27327 while the serial number on the gun itself is 723XX...how could the barrel be OLDER than the gun itself?

Maybe that isn't a serial # on the barrel?

Second, I have two boxes of ammo, one I got at the Gun Show that is marked "Tetrinox" and no corosivo, no erosivo, 1977, I can figure it out, but the one I got at the auction is 1962, it's from Pirotecnia de Sevilla, I assume it's corrosive, BUT what is the bullet weight, are they the same?
What is a good price for ammo, at the show it was all $5/25 or more? What do you shoot?

And last, until I get back, where does the brass USUALLY go so I know where to spread the tarp so I don't lose them in the grass...or is it all berdan, so I have no worries unless I hit them with the mower?

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Bob In St Louis
(10/28/01 8:35:53 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks Bob.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A lot of these more recent imports have had the barrels switched at the arsenals - you will find a lot of them with non-matching barrel numbers - what I find interesting with yours is it looks like the barrel number is mirror image of your pistol frame number ????? strange.

The 1962 ammo will likely be slightly corrosive - primer compound, not the powder. All of this stuff is berdan as far as I know. I have gotten the ammo in 1,000 lots in the past from SARCO, and if you look in the ammo section in Shotgun News, you will find a company that has a bunch of it for sale, I am thinking $160 to $175/1,000 depending on corrosive or non-corrosive. The bullet weights - I am not sure, I will need to look it up, but I am thinking it normally runs 15 to 20 grains heavier than your 9mm Parabellum ammo. Most that I remember throw the brass about 8 to 10 feet to the right, and just a tad forward.
Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
(10/28/01 8:55:25 pm)
Put two clips through it, and my neighbor came over so I let him shoot it some too.

Shoots well, just the trigger is too creepy for me.

Takes three hands to pull that heavy slide back against that heavy spring, and I hate heel clips releases but other than that, I like it!

Now I have to take her apart to clean it, and I'll bring it with me next week so if by some chance we can meet up I can show it to you.

BTW, is there any place I could find spare mags for less than $25? Loading one mag all the times sucks, but yesterday at the show all I could find was $25, on mag dealer said they had usually had them at $20, but left them all at the shop, so I'd have to order and pay postage. I thought I saw them cheap somewhere, or am I confusing them with Destroyer Mags...
We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Bob In St Louis
(10/28/01 9:04:04 pm)
I will sell them to you at $15.00 each, postage paid.
Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Flhunter
V.I.P. Forum Host
(10/30/01 4:04:36 pm)
Bob, thats the same thing I picked up on....Polish??? That Astra serial number isn't 72372 is it? Nah can't be...

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Xracer
(10/30/01 6:26:35 pm)
Polish....COTW lists the Factory Load bullet as being a 125gr. FMJ.

It also says that an Astra 400 will shoot .38 ACP without any adjustment.

polishshooter
(10/30/01 8:41:28 pm)
Yeah, mine says 9mm/38. But I imagine 9x23 would be easier to find than .38ACP anyway.

The instructions say something like "contrary to popular belief, ONLY use 9mm Bergman-Bayard (Largo) OR .38 ACP, NOT .38 Super, or any other 9mm..."

No, it's not a mirror image, just the first three are.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.