Thanks Muddober (Hollywood Senior Press)

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Freebore, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Thanks Muddober (Hollywood Senior Press Rebuild)

Just completed (rebuilding) is a Hollywood Senior press that was donated by Muddober. This press was disassembled and bead-blasted down to the bare castings. The castings were re-coated using a blue/black/gray texture coating and two coatings of clearcoat, The linkage, arm, and miscellaneous parts were also polished and re-blued.

Currently the press is setup for 1-1/2X12 dies (1-1/2-12 to 7/8-14 adapter bushing on order). I also replaced the shell holder ram (since this photo) with a universal ram that now accepts current snap-in shell holders. Priming is currently for large primers, but my Texan 301 H3 priming arms work on this press as well. The linkage can also be adjusted (second set of holes) to increase leverage for swaging, etc.

From what I can find, this model was made during the sixties after a 1961 revision of the Senior model, the base and (machined) column are actually a single iron casting, with the die and shell plates made from aluminum.

All tolerances are very close and machining is excellent. A very smooth clean operating heavy duty single stage press, I have to admit, I like it a lot better than my Rockchucker IV

Thanks again to Muddober

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Amazing job ! Looks like it's begging to be feed ! Love the finish on it too.
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Freebore: You actually cleaned that press up and did all that work in less time than it took to ship it to you. I am really glad you are enjoying it and it looks great.

Thanks for sharing the photos and compliment.

Ron
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats fricken awesome... You have a way with antique equipment my friend. I wouldnt mind having one like that;)
  5. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

Not really sure, but that press seems to have two sets of holes in the linkage, one set for more leverage, and the other for longer stroke. I would think that if the outer hole in the bottom link is used, the inner hole in the upper link should be used with it, to maintain the same location of the top of the stroke for the shell holder.

Or did I miss something?

Andy
  6. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Nice looking work there, makes me wonder what you could do with my ol' lady:D:D
  7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    That is a sweet looking press! Really great job on restoring too. Thanks for sharing!
  8. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I must say you do very nice work!
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You did a great job on that and fast, too. It seems like only a few days ago I saw the thread where muddober was going to send it to you. What a difference!
  10. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Andy,

You're absolutely correct, the second set of holes increases leverage considerably while maintaining the same distance for the priming operation. Leverage as shown is more than adequate for most any reloading stages, I believe the second set of holes would really be used for bullet swaging.
  11. woodyplacks

woodyplacks New Member

Yes, that really looks great! I would like mine to look like that, so, what is the name of the color and brand name of the spray paint? I`m hoping that you`re willing to share. Thanks, Art.:)
  12. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

ok another new term!! Bullet Swaging???? please enlighten a confused fella!! PLEASE??
  13. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Your attention to detail is superb! Looks better than original. Thanks for sharing.
  14. woodyplacks

woodyplacks New Member

Greetings Hunter, Bullet swaging means to force lead into a bullet die to produce a bullet of a certain size and uniformity. It takes a strong press with tight linkage to produce an accurate bullet, because of the amount of force involved. `Hope this helps.......Art.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

INDEED! Swaging bullets is some forceful business as youre cramming a big chunk of lead in a smaller hole. These old 'tanks' are prefect for such tasks because they are extremely overbuilt and you have alot of leverage. I wouldnt be suprised if some of these old presses could be used as an arbor press effectively..