that'll teach 'em

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 21bravo, Jun 6, 2009.

1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

my grandmother called me yesterday evening to tell me that she had seen a groundhog eating the blooms off of her green beans. so i walked over at about 2000hrs (i live right beside of her) to look at the best place to shoot from. decided to shoot from her 12'x14' deck.

i started the morning sittin about 50yds from the bean rows on the deck with my trusty .17hmr and sure enough 0930 rolls around and out comes a groundhog. i reach over to get my earplugs. the darn thing seen me and ran off!!! so, i changed my position and waited again. i went ahead and put in my earplugs and got my rifle up, resting in the pocket of my shoulder and on the harris bi-pod. all id have to do was click off the safety. well sure enough at 1030 it came back. i moved my hand to click off the safety and the darn thing saw me again!!! so twice in an hour i had been outsmarted by a rodent!:eek:

well.... it wont outsmart me anymore!! i moved again... but this time to my back porch about 50yds away from the left edge of her garden. i didnt wait but about 10 minutes and saw something out of the corner of my eye. looked through my BSA sweet17 3x12x40mm and saw two groundhogs play fighting at 100yds. i waited...and waited...and waited. one ran off and the other sat directly in front of a black walnut tree. crosshairs directly in front of its ear...squeeze the trigger... groundhog, minus a head:eek::D third time i saw them... so that means.. third time was the charm :D:p
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Good for you, they sound like the Grey Squirrels over here. Some are easy to shoot, they move predictably in one direction. Others are really skittish, the slightest sound and they are off, zig zagging through the undergrowth.

Good practice though. :)
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

yeah tranter. the thing that got me was, the one i shot sit still for a good while...like it was waiting for me to shoot. and if i had of been patient i would have gotten the other one. from the time i grabbed my ruger single-six and walked the distance to where the dead groundhog was the other had came out and was just looking at the dead one.:confused: like wtf just happened? ...i shoulda kept my butt in the seat. but ill get em:cool:
  4. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Patience is a virtue.:eek: Good luck getting all of them.:D catfish
  5. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

6. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

HE HE good shooting! are you going to go after the second one?

On a side note you should try shooting P-dogs in south dakota at 200 yards with a 22-250! you say to your self where did the P-dog go? over there, over there and up there!
  7. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

yeah tony, i plan on getting the other one. i saw it again yesterday evening but by the time i got back with my rifle it was gone and i didnt see it again the rest of the day. right now my granddad is in the hospital, he had another stroke, so my major concern is takeing care of my grandmother...not her garden. but i'll get em. maybe tomorrow....well, its 0215...so...today:eek:

thanks for the comparison powderhorn... great movie:D:cool:
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

good luck... i got one once with a 270 weatherby mag. onlything left was the skin:)