That'll Teach Them Darn Kids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drobs, Jan 11, 2005.

1. drobs

drobs Member

Calif. Principal Bans 'Freak Dancing'

Associated Press

LEMOORE, Calif. - Fed up with students' racy moves, a principal at a California high school has taken the unusual step of canceling the rest of this year's school dances.

Principal Jim Bennett of Lemoore Union High School said he warned students at a winter formal dance last month to either quit dirty dancing or face the possibility of not dancing at all.

But he said the students continued "freak dancing," a form of sexually suggestive dancing that involves grinding the hips and pelvic area.

The ban on dances includes the school's Sadie Hawkins dance in February and the junior and senior proms in the spring, but Bennett said they could be rescheduled if students modify their behavior.

"It's really up to the kids at this point. They have to take some responsibility," Bennett said.

Organizers of the Sadie Hawkins dance, a fund-raiser for the school's Future Farmers of America, are working with Bennett to come up with a series of regulations, which could allow that dance to go on.

One idea is to let students sign a form stating that raunchy dancing will get them kicked out.

Students hope similar regulations could lead to the reinstatement of other dances, particularly the prom.

"Some students save up all year to buy a dress or rent a tuxedo and buy flowers for the prom," said student body president Zohra Lakhani, a 17-year-old senior. "To crush everyone's dreams, it's not fair."
  2. Texas_Shooter

Texas_Shooter New Member

Wasn't there a Kevin Bacon movie like this?
  3. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

I'll probably be crucified for saying this, but as I recall from my parents' anecdotes, the self-appointed guardians of public morality had a similar reaction to the Charleston in the 1920s and the livelier swing moves of the 1940s. And in my lifetime, I remember the great gnashing of teeth in the 60s and the horror expressed at some of the disco moves in the 70s. Etc. Etc. Etc. When will these darn kids ever learn? What a petty, dumb, self-righteous, horse's butt! Probably was the kid who couldn't get a date and looked like something out of an erector set when he *did* try to dance.
  4. Rugster

Rugster New Member

Yap there was a movie about danceing with Keven Bacon.I think I know the style of danceing their speaking of.If I had a daughter and seen a young man disrespecting her that way I would ring his neck.But the problem is the girls are into it as much as the guys.Most girls dont have any respect for themselves like it used to be.Or maybe I grew up dureing the wrong generation? :D
  5. gbeggrow

gbeggrow New Member

Yep....it's was called "Footloose".

6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

The jitterbug was absolutely immoral in the 40s, as was the twist in the 50s.

Times may change but the same myopathy reigns from generation to generation!
  7. gagirl

gagirl New Member

Times change and we have just gotten old. I remember people talking about the way we danced when I was a teenager, just the same as 'we' are talking about the teens now. Kids are growing up much faster now and things are just naturally evolving. Get over it they will not always do what we want or what they should but that is part of learning and growing.
  8. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

So it's myopic to want your kids to behave themselves and act decent? It's myopic to want your kids to have the same values as you? Just curious.

I'm really not sure why this is making national headlines. Does the community support the principal in his decision? If so, then he's doing the right thing. Remember, when the kids are on school grounds, they are still under the rules of the school. If they wouldn't allow grinding of the hips and other lewd behavior during school hours, why should they allow it at a dance? The parents of these kids expect the school officials and chaperones to keep control of their kids. Should the principal let the kids make out too?

I also think that some of you who are criticizing the principal have not seen how kids dance these days.
  9. gagirl

gagirl New Member

None of my highschool dances were on school grounds and I have seen how kids dance these days. I still think that he does NOT have the right to tell my son/daughter how they should act. That is my responsibility. It is his job to teach the kids not to impose his version of morality on them.
  10. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

It's not "his version of morality". It's probably school policy. And besides, even when it's held off-campus, it's still a school activity and falls under school rules.

The rules, I'm sure, also call for no fighting at school sports events. If the kids get into fistfights at every game, then it would be reasonable to cancel all games, wouldn't it?

You guys are acting like the principal just arbitrarily decided to ban dancing because he didn't like it. He may be under pressure from parents to do something about this. Y'all are dismissing the fact that it's his JOB to keep things within certain guidelines.
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I'm in full agreement, Snipe. After all I grew up in a Superintendent's family!

My reference to myopia meant that not ALL dances are suspect, though many are. I did not mean to criticize the principal. There is no question that the principal was well withint not on his duties but mandates to take such steps.
  12. headzilla97

headzilla97 New Member

hey lap dances are cool in my book
  13. gagirl

gagirl New Member

I just get tired of everyone telling the kids their version of morality. I didnt like what was going on in the public school system so I sold my large house have a much lower house payment and now send my kids to private school. I just think it is the parents right to teach the kids how to act. Quit expecting schools to do so.
  14. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

gagirl, again, it's not about telling kids anyone's version of morality. The "moral standard" is set by the school council. The principal is just tasked with enforcing it.

But in the larger argument, school teachers wouldn't have to get involved with teaching kids morals if their parents were doing it. Teachers don't want to have to get involved with that. But kids today come to school acting like Heathens. I have a lot of school teachers in my family, so I'm very aware of this problem. Parents just don't know how to parent, or are prohibited by law from doing what's necessary to discipline their kids. Then they get upset when the schools actually enforce the rules. See a problem there?
  15. Mabooger

Mabooger New Member

Sorry but I have a hard time understanding cancelling the dances.
    He obviously hasn't seen what they try to do in the back seats of buses or in the deserted hallways or the empty auditorium. They are no different than any other generation that has grown up fro the last 200 years, their parents didn't approve of all the "risky" changes either.

I believe it is my responsibility to teach my children right from wrong & the responsibility of the teachers & chaperones to guide them & report back to the parents if there's any problems. Don't punish everyone if only a few are to blame.

Last year the baseball coach scheduled practice for 8 AM the day after the prom & proceeded to tell the kids what time HE wanted them home & in bed. Last I knew it is MY responsibility to give my kids a curfew & rules not the baseball coach.