The .17 Aguila rimfire round.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

22boomer
    (2/19/02 2:58:00 pm)
    Reply The .17 Aguila rimfire round.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I keep seeing all this hoopla about the .17 HMR and I'm not sure if it will be good enough to "replace" the .22 magnum but now I found out that Aguila is going to produce a ".17 Aguila" that is based on the .22 LR cartridge. It will have a 20 grain bullet and a muzzle velocity of 1850 ft/sec. They plan on future rounds with lighter bullets and higher velocities. Volquartsen is already making a barrel for the .17 Aguila that will fit the 10/22. The ammo cost is in the .22 LR range. I know there are no samples tested yet so this is all hypothetical but I just wanted to get some opinions on this round.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/19/02 3:06:51 pm)
    Reply Re: The .17 Aguila rimfire round.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If they can keep the ammo cost down it has a chance. Can't be godd for anything other than plinking and it will be hard if not impossible to beat out the 22lr for that.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/19/02 3:21:41 pm)
    This seems to get better each day, now the velocity is slower yet with a 20gr buddit. While the .22 mag fires a heavier buddit faster 40gr. This is not something new, as Cooper rifles tried this years back and some in centerfire too. It was a dude then and it will be this time round too. The claims that everyone is building rifles and barrels adds no weight to the argument, see the old .22 and all the rifles made for it back then.....doomed to repeat history. Maybe this is the time to buy ammo for storage, gonna be worth more than the rifle. HUM? IDEA! (light-bulb) I`m Gonna be rich........LTS

22boomer
    (2/19/02 3:32:00 pm)
    Yes, you'r right about the plinking, I was wondering if the higher velocity would extend it out further and have a flatter trajectory. The manufacturer plans on a lighter bullet, like the one on the .17 HMR that might put it up in the 2000 ft/sec range. I was thinking that with a good barrel on my 10/22, it might have some good accuracy at 100 yards plus make a nice little varmint rifle.

22boomer
    (2/19/02 3:37:55 pm)
    LTS,
    This round is based on the 22lr not the 22 magnum is a lot less expensive than the 22 mag. remember the 22 mag started out at around 1800 ft/sec and people bought it. this will work through a regular 10/22 magazine so the only change is the barrel.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/19/02 3:52:51 pm)
    The new .22LR`s range from 1650-1850fps with a 32gr bullet and they are starting to go to a 30 and 28gr. So tell me what gain you are making, none. Sorry, these just ain`t doin it for me and granted it`s my "onion"....but I don`t see any advantage. The centerfire .17 was hot for a while, now it just has a cult following....but I like it, very explosive out to 300 yards, now thats fun.....but the two new .17`s bring nothing new, except higher prices for that ammo. For the cost of a barrel for the .17 for my 10/22`s, I could feed several for a long time with longrifles. JMHO and that ain`t much. Regards LTS

22boomer
    (2/19/02 4:20:01 pm)
    LTS,
    you'r right about the cost of the barrel, that's my sticking point. My problem with the hyper .22lr's is that the lighter bullets are great for velocity but I have found that the accuracy suffers a lot. I was thinking, if you want to chop weight off the .22 bullet to get more velocity why not just make the bullet a little smaller and see if the accuracy is still there. I won't try any of this till I see some real specs on the round, like how accurate it is at 100 yards and the velocity at that range.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/19/02 4:34:57 pm)
    One of my 10/22`s is built around the CCI Stinger....36gr hyper. While not match quality it still groups well at 100 yards, always around 1 1/2" or less, but it is set to preform at 80 yards and will be consistent at 5/8" or less. This round drops 1 1/2" at 100 yards. This is from a butler creek 20"HB that I broke in. Regards LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/19/02 4:37:44 pm)
    For hunting those new 22lr with the very light bullets are junk. I do not understand this trend by the ammo manufacturers to go with the super light very fast. I have been buying the 60gr Aguila .22lr for hunting the last thing I want is a bullet that weighs only 17gr.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/19/02 4:44:08 pm)
    You got that right Pig, don`t use them Stingers on a squirrel. Man they tear one up, a year or so back....I started using trunicated .22`s, good smack and tail lifting qualities, but finally gave up on them because of misfires. Sad day, now use Reminton Sub-Sonics. LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/19/02 7:43:45 pm)
    Yep and those light buddits are worthless on coon takes a whole magazine full to kill one.

I got a coffee cup in my garage full of .22 lead that impacts on a coons skull and does not penetrate. Hollowpoints are the worst. They are good for flesh hits but when I am hide hunting I take only headshots and the hollow points hit the bone and explode doing no penetration at all.

Had all these problems with the 40gr buddits. I cannot imagine shooting lighter ones. I might as well use birdshot.

Vibe77
    (2/27/02 9:18:04 am)
    LIKTOSHOOT

You said

"The new .22LR`s range from 1650-1850fps with a 32gr bullet "

I would like for you to name one that actualy GETS above 1750 or even close. Only Aguila even advertises this speed and they don't reach it over a chrono, and that with a only 30 grainer. Not many actualy will chrono over that lower number of 1650 either, but NONE will reach or even get close to the upper number.