The .22 Magnum for Self-Defense, American Rifleman, 5/24/13, with test results

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by mjp28, Jun 2, 2013.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

The .22 Magnum for Self-Defense, American Rifleman, 5/24/13, with test results

(This is a great article in this month's AR magazine, even comparing the .22MAG with the 9MM and .45ACP...interesting results!)

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/the-22-mag-for-self-defense/

Due to its light recoil, even a novice shooter can deliver six accurate shots in seconds from a lightweight, .22 WMR revolver.
    By Richard Mann

A practical personal protection plan should include a handgun, but that handgun should, without question, be one you’re comfortable with. As you become more experienced you’ll have the opportunity to further evaluate the situation and trade-up as your comfort and skill levels increase. For some, a .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) might be the best place to start. It’s also affordable, readily available and relatively easy to shoot.

The .22 WMR is just one of many cartridges that comes in handguns sized for personal protection or concealed carry. A compact and light handgun like Ruger’s new 16-ounce LCR is a perfect example of a carry-size .22 WMR revolver. For those who want to carry the smallest handgun possible, North American Arms’ less-than-6-ounces Mini-Revolvers, with 1-inch barrels, are about as small as small gets.......CONTINUED IN LINK......

(Oh the Ruger LCR WMR is a beautiful gun, now a NA with a 1" barrel, well might pass unless you really want something tiny!)
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Way back at my old house I did my own tests, got my 55 gal. drum we burned in and got out a bunch of ammo and guns to try out.

.22 .22MAG .25 .38 pistols and my .22 Win 290 rifle and 20 ga shotgun.

Well ammo does make a difference of course, kind of fun shooting a 20 ga "pumpkin ball", 00, and FMJ vs hollow points, birdshot and whatever else was around.

I was really impressed with the .22MAG and not impressed with a little .25 auto. Brand new cheap little piece of Italian made junk jammed on shot #1, scratch that for a defensive weapon.

Loved my first gun I ever bought a Winchester 290 .22 21S/17L/15LR as fast as you can pull the trigger...you never forget your first. :D

Oh those were fun years, shooting in your backyard anytime you wanted. :)
  3. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

This is a good informative article. One thing I don't agree with in the article, was the statement that unlike hunters that shoot to kill, people try to wound to stop the BG. I was taught "Never pull a gun unless your going to shoot. If you shoot, shoot to kill." I have passed this down to my son. Also treat every gun as loaded. Pulling a gun should be the last resort.
  4. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

A dead intruder can't return to your house to try again- AS LONG AS YOU ARE WITHIN YOUR RIGHTS TO USE A PARTICULAR LEVEL OF FORCE. If you have to end a life, part of the fallout is having to live with that choice, not to mention all of the legal ramifications.
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I agree unless it's a really unusual situation. Think fast you might have one chance. (like a stumbling drunk who is unarmed, etc,) don't fire unless you have no other choice, if you do be prepared to do "what's necessary", even drop the BG cold.

When I showed people my guns that never shot I had my cardinal rules:

1. Most important TREAT EVERY GUN AS IF IT'S LOADED, no matter what.
    2. Never point it at anything unless it's your target.
    3. NEVER pull the trigger unless you want that gun to fire.
    4. Maybe as important as #1, NEVER pull out a gun unless you're ready and able to fire it! If you pull it you've just escallated the situation....the other guy might just pull his gun and fire or charge you.

When/if possible run away!

And the article did say just having a pulled gun may cause the BG to take off running -but- that's not a 100% guarantee!
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I bought my wife a Taurus PT22 because she is very recoil sensitive, but she's not strong enough to pull the trigger on these little .22s. The Ruger LCR trigger is no better. I have an old SA/DA Taurus .22LR revolver that she has no problems with. I might look into the Taurus ULTRA-LITE Model 941 .22 mag. And it's only $500. Just because these little guns are light weight, and small, does not mean that handicapped people, or small people, can handle/shoot them. http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=367&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/04/steven-visser/gun-review-ruger-lcr-22/