The .41 or the .44?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Pistolenschutze, Oct 29, 2007.

1. How about some opinions on the .41 v. the .44 magnum revolvers as backup field carry weapons. If you look at the specs, the .41 (in a Mod 57 Smith) v. the .44 (in a Mod 29 Smith) are so close that the difference is practically meaningless. I have a Mod 29, but I've always been intrigued by the Mod 57and the .41 caliber in general. I remember when those revolvers were first offered in the mid-1960s. At the time they were marketed toward state patrolmen, mostly as a more effective weapon than the .357, especially with a 210 grain bullet loading. This caliber never really caught on, but I wonder if it has simply had a bad press.
  2. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

Summer: Chimacum, WA; Winter: Casa Grande, AZ
    I had a S&W N frame .41 Magnum 8 1/2" barrel. It was a real hand cannon.
    I liked it because it seemed to kick no more than a .357 but left a hole almost as big as a .44 Magnum. Ammo is 175 or 210 grain...
  3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I'm on the lookout for a revolver in .44 mag, but if I ran across a nice Dan Wesson in .41, it would be coming home with me.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Pistolenschutze:

I have S&W's in both 44 and 41. When loaded to max for each, the 44 mag hurts to shoot unless you have gloves on and are a big recoil fan. The 41, mag on the other hand, recoils less and is not that unpleasant to shoot. If I had to pick one over the other it would be the 41 for max loads. But.....

I reload 44 Mag down to 44 special levels. My model 629 has a 4 inch barrel (retrofitted for ease of handling from a 8 3/4 inch original barrel) and is an absolute sweetheart to shoot that way. Its no more than a big push and the thing hits whatever you point at. Talk about a devastated soda pop can! It is one of my favorite guns.

But the thing is, you GOT TO HAVE BOTH!

LDBennett
  5. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Pistolenschutze,
    I will try soon to post up pic's of both...and the target results...;)
  6. I completely agree with you on the .44 Special level downloads, LDB. I often do that myself. In a heavy N-frame revolver like the Mod 29, it makes the .44 Mag a pussycat to shoot and extremely accurate. When I take the 29 out to the range, I will usually put 18-24 rounds of full power through it, then switch to the softer loads for more comfortable practice. I often do the same thing with my .357s as well, loading down to about .38 special +P or ++P levels for ordinary practice.