The all new .327 mag.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Pastor C, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

Do you think the new .327 magnum will be the next big thing?

6 shots instead of 5

greater power

how popular do you think they'll get?:cool:
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

shooters/gunguys seem to be traditionalist. i'm impressed with the ballistics but isn't it a re-invention of a slightly hotter H&R mag the fact you can pack 6 in a small revolver is ok but then again why bother when there are 9mm revolvers ( almost the same ballistics) and of course the 357 mag. i see it going the way of the 41 action express, and the 9mm federal . but thats just an opinion
  3. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

I think it will be less popular than it deserves. Partially because is a revolver round, and lets face it, wheelguns are not as popular as semi's. (I love revolvers, so donĀ“t take this the wrong way)
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

that is also a good point i never considered. i too am a revolver guy though i own more than my share of auto's i'll pick a revolver first everytime. but revolvers have taken a back seat to auto's. and with automatic's becoming better and better the trend eill continue...
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    IMHO, the .327 won't make the grade. It is strickly a SD round, and has no application in any other form. The sixth rd. doesn't make that much difference since most all revolvers already have six. What is the advantage? One extra shoot from a short barreled gun? If ya can't hit anything with 5, 6 won't be much help!
  6. Sandman

Sandman New Member

It seems to me that it fills a gap. More stopping power than a 9mm or a .380 (it even has higher fps and energy than .38 special) in a small enough package for concealed carry, with less recoil than the big guns. Seems ideal for concealed carry as well as for an SD weapon for women or the recoil sensitive. As far as it being strictly a SD round, isn't that the case for the vast majority of handgun rounds? I don't know if it will catch on or not, but it seems pretty good. I am thinking about getting the SP101 in .327, but haven't decided yet.
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i highly doubt the claim of better stopping power than a 9mm. a federal 85 grain in 327 jhp goes 1330 fps with 334 ftlbs of energy. snappy yes . now look at the numbers for cor-bon ( considered a top choice for self defense) the 115 grain jhp 1350 fps @ 466 energy, the 125 gr jhp 1250 fps @ 430 . the 90 gr jhp 1500 fps @ 450. all heavier bullet weights, which equals better penatration, more energy to dump on target, and a proven caliber with proven designed bullets.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The arguments for the 327 (same power as a 38 special, but 6 rounds in a J frame, instead of 5) are the same arguments that came out for the 32 H&R. I, personally, don't see a need for it, but I'm sure that there are folks that will buy it.
  9. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

if one wants 6 rounds instead of 5 in a 'j-frame' style and does not already have it in 32 H&R magnum than the new 327 federal is a good option. also, if you have a 32-20 you pretty much have the 327 power already.
    32 H&R dies can be let out to make 327 federal.
    i would like to see ruger make a single-six for it [327 fed/32 H&R--two cylinders]; the cowboy shooters would buy them for their lady friends.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  10. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Yeah, but they never loaded the .32 H&R Mag up to true mag power because all of the older handguns out there could not handle the pressure. The .327 actually does what the .32 H&R was supposed to do.

On the stopping power issue, the 85 grain is not the only available load. There is a 100 grain and a 115 grain load available as well. Comparing an 85 grain load in .327 to a 115 grain in 9mm is not exactly apples to apples.
  11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ok fair enough..... so compare the heavier loadings of the 327 and explain to me how they will have "better stopping power" and are you considering the short barrel lenght, you'll have with a ruger sp . the testing of the 327 was done out of a 2in barrel the testing will not reflect real world ballistic numbers.
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Not really a need to do the dual-cylinder thing for those two. Shooting .32H&R in a .327 chamber is the same as running .38Spcl in a .357Mag. A little more bullet jump til you hit the forcing cone but that's usually not a problem unless you're a bullseye shooter.

Yup, you're right on the .32H&R factory loads never being loaded up to it's full potential. It wasn't because of any older guns that couldn't take the pressure though...the .32H&R was a new longer cartridge that wouldn't chamber in any older guns (as is the .327, stretched out even a bit more)
    The guys that jumped on the .32H&R for silhouette shooting out of the Contender brewed up some real high-pressure 115gr loads that would embarrass the .327 out of a revolver (just like they did for the .32-20) but no way would I ever fire them out of a revolver (single-six or even the SP).

The SP101 is stout enough to handle the higher pressures that the .327 is being loaded at. I used to roll some pretty stout loads for my .32H&R SP101 for hunting. They weren't up to the .327's advertised power lever but pretty darn close. I would be a bit worried about long-term lifespan of a Taurus or Smith J-frame size gun in .327 though.

I just wish that Ruger would do a 4" adjustable sight full underlug version of the .327 SP101. I had that one in .32H&R and am still wishing I still had it. That was an excellent trail gun! I'm still thinking about getting a 3" .327 and using it to terrorize the cottontails again. I just don't think the 3" balances quite as sweet as that little 4" did.

The .327 is definitely a niche cartridge...whether or not it sticks around very long only time will tell. Personally, I think it's a mistake to market it as an SD round but then again since marketing the .32H&R as the hottest new little trail gun number of the 80's didn't really pan out it might make sense to direct the .327 towards another market. Either way, I like the fact that there is still a decent little .32 available.
  13. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Okay, lets say comparable (at least in terms of FPS & energy) power. If I were trying to decide between the 2 (and I am not because I have a couple of 9mm's and no .327), it would be more a question of whether I wanted a revolver or an automatic than a question of which was a better caliber.

I read the results of some testing done on a production SP101 and velocities were right at the published numbers (1400fps for the 100 grain load). Penetration was good also. Maybe I did misspeak in saying it has better stopping power than the 9mm, but I think it is fair to say it is comparable.

Not saying it is the greatest thing out there, just that I think there is valid niche for it to fill if it catches on. They don't seem to be pushing it very hard. Just kind of putting it out there, only producing three loads for it, not spending much money and just hoping it catches on. It appeals to me, and I am not one to dote on wildcat cartridges or the next best thing. I am looking at getting a CC permit, and don't like the overall size of my 9mm autos for that use and I have no interest in shooting a .357 snubby. This serves as a compact revolver with good stopping power that can double as a SD handgun that my wife can use (she is not comfortable shooting my 9mm's, too bulky for her).
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Only .38's and lower, are not sutible for hunting. .22's, .25's, 32's, and 38's.357, and up will work OK at close range as designed. .357's, .40's, .44's, 45's, 50's, in either revolver or semi-auto will do the job. So the majority of calibers in hand guns will work. The .327 might work as a hunting rd. if the barrel were long enough, but I'm not real sure. It's kinda like .380 being the least of the considered SD rounds.
  15. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My SP101 .327 should be here in a couple of weeks, payment got sent today. Not sure if I'll love it or hate it, but I figure I've got to at least give it a try. I'm tending to think that with my med frame body and smaller hands, it will be a great little revolver............ and besides, I'm getting sick of only GN posting up picks of new toys :p :D I'll post up a new thread once I get it out to the range. I'm just hoping that they've got the cylinder issues figured out. I did get a good deal on it (IMO), $439.00 NIB.