The ammo and gun buying frenzy from first hand view...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjmitchell60, Dec 1, 2008.

1. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Below is a reply I sent to a friend's e-mail this mourning about the buying frenzy of ammo and guns. I do not see it here due to a sparsely populated area but I worked (helped) a buddy at a 3 day gun show this weekend. He sells nothing but ammo and they cleaned us out in the 3 days with us calling in favors to restock some DAILY from a near by distributor (as well as I taking up some of my old stock from 5 years ago). It is scary and it worries me as to how inexperinced many (most) of these buyers are and how many are elederly who have never shot a foirearm oir have not done so in 50 years or more. Here is my reply to my friend's e-mail asking me about the show and some other things. Does it worry anyone else?

Reply:
    Worked a gun show for a buddy this weekend. I sell guns and a little of ammo to go with the guns in my small (very small) shop (mainly internet sales though) and he sells NOTHING but ammo. People were non stop all 3 days, broke record attendance numbers all 3 days, and the people were buying ONLY ARs, and hi-cap handguns. All the dealers who set up at the show sold every S&W they had, every Springfield XDs, all HKs, baby Eagles, and any other hi-cap including the cheap Hi-Points! We were the ONLY ammo dealer there and they nearly bought us out clean. Sold every round of 223, 7.62x39, 357, 38spl, 44mag, 45acp, 40s&w, 9mm, 380, 32ACP, 25ACP, 22LR&Short, and even odd ammo that he will rarely sell one box a year of. had one man bought $2000 worth of different calibers! That went on all day for 3 days. I took some of my stock up to re-stock him Sunday and sold every round I took. I got today's price on some private ammo I had held back for 5 years now! It is a feeding frenzy out there when it comes to guns and ammo right now.

NOW for the scary part, had MANY come to buy ammo carrying 12 ga or Hi-Point handguns that had NEVER fired a gun in their lives. I showed MANY how to LOAD a magazine. Showed several elderly women and couples how to load a shotgun and the PROPER home defense loads. One lady was buying number 8s for home defense and I talked her into a little better round. Her reasoning was she did not want to kill anyone but just scare her!!! that scared me, that shotgun will be taken from her and used on her IF she ever has to use it I am afraid. Had a man about 30 years old pushing a pair of twins in a double stroller want ammo for a 380 Hi-Point. he was going to leave a round in the chamber at all times TILL the babies got old enough to reach it on the night stand, his words! He did not have a trigger lock and I talked to him a long time as to the dangers of that with a Hi-Point especially! Like I said it is crazy out there. It has no boundaries either, all races, all age groups, and all walks of life are buying ammo and guns for the first time. One man brought all 5 of his grown kids and bought all 5 of them plus himself a new Springfield XD each! NONE of them except for ONE son had ever shot a firearm in their life and that son was ex-US Army! He said he was going to teach the others how to PROPERLY use the XDs. What surprised me of that family is even though the son was ex Army, he still did not own a firearm and had not shot one since he got out some 6 years ago. It is so bad that I expect for accidently shootings to rise a LOT in the next couple of years. I am worried the buying frenzy will hurt the gun cause due to so many buyers never even knowing how to load the fire arm they just bought and also the sellers were so busy they did not have the proper time to show all the customers as they should have IMHO.
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I see what you're saying.

On the other side of the coin, people with zero or little knowledge of firearms are spurred by reasons less obvious to purchase a firearm all the time.

It's comforting to know (like you said you took time to show how to load mags, choose ammo etc) that some dealers are giving some instruction and not just taking money and moving on with no responsibility.

Maybe think about next show giving away a copy of Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety with every purchase. Hell, it would only cost a penny per copy.
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

Ditto Deltas response. Gun safety handouts would be a big help for them.

Art
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  4. obxned

obxned New Member

The safety issue is a concern, but better that these folks have a means or self-protection than not.
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

JJ, if your concern is founded with regards to inexperienced buyers, wouldn't it be ironic how fear of gun control to supposedly protect us made us less safe?...

Given that thought, with the economy in a downturn, you can expect crime rates to rise and now is as good a time as any to buy a firearm and lean how to use it...
  6. moooboy

moooboy New Member

I know I'm guilty of the same,lol But I have a lot of experience with firearms. I haven't bought much in the past 10 years other that a shotgun and rifle but in the past month i bought a mint smith 3913, marlin 444xlr,naa 22 mag( for my first ccw) taurus 4" 627 357,ruger single six hunter,taurus ss model 72 22 mag(from a buddy i sold it to and bought it back) accelerator 22 mag semi pistol and matching 22 mag semi rifle and a bunch of ammo. I need to stop looking at BrandX every morning or im gonna be broke,lol. I dont really want anything else and think im done for another 10 years:). My dealer has to hold my pistols for 3 months because i cant buy more than one every 30 days here in the land of fruits and nuts
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

jeez dude, you must have a money tree in the backyard, or youre not married;)
  8. moooboy

moooboy New Member

no i'm married with 2 kids, just know how to hide money from her and she can't see into my safes,lol
    got most of the money from selling extra parts i hoarded from my mopar addiction, still got more to sell now that my 70 cuda is restored:)
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  9. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Welcome aboard!!

So post some pics of that bad boy!
    come on
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

DODGE MAN EH! I got me an ol M882 'warhorse'. love me a good dodge:D

Attached Files:

11. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Your experience at the show is, at the least, very telling of where a new segment of the population is in their line of thinking. They realize the very real prospect of bad times coming - and they're doing something about it. This government/regime keeps doing things that show themselves to hate firearms ownership and the ability to buy ammo reliably, and the people have picked up on that (at least, more are), and they can see they need to move on that information.

Safety issues aside, it's a very GOOD thing.

Now, here, the gun show back in September was poorly attended by both vendors and customers - much lower than in the previous 2 years. So, location may have something to do with it too.
  12. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Last gun show 2 wks. ago. great selections and prices. No 30-40 brass though and 2 dealers said they couldn't get that and a few of the other older oddball cases. No bulk 30-06 an d little .308 in quantity.