The Art of Reloading a Handgun - Help Required

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Percussore Lynx, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Percussore Lynx

Percussore Lynx New Member

Heya everyone, I'm new to this forum, so perhaps I should post a short introduction before saying anything else.

Now, if you check my profile, you'll find that I may be a little young to be joining such a forum, but don't worry, I'm not here out of stupidity, or as a result of some immature joke or dare, I'm here because I have a genuine interest in firearms, and I wish to expand my knowledge.

I'm hoping that the general community around here can help enlighten me with confusing issues I have come across in my recently-started studies.

Anyways, for my first post I have a few issues relating to the reloading of semi-automatic handguns (as a generic term).

I'll be basic and stick with something simple, just in case my not stating a specific weapon might cause confusion, so let's use the Beretta M92F.

Now then, here are my qualms:

1) If my knowledge is correct, the process of reloading a basic handgun such as the M9 goes thusly:

- the spent magazine is ejected via the small button just in between the grip and the trigger

- if the old magazine wasn't completely emptied, all that is required is to insert a new magazine, as there should still be a round in the chamber

- if the old magazine was used up, then when the new magazine is inserted, the slide must be pulled back, which cocks the hammer, which (in turn) loads the first round of the magazine into the chamber

Which leads to my question... taking the third of those bullet points into account, can you manually cock the hammer to load a round into the chamber, instead of pulling the slide back?

If what I have said here is completely wrong in any sense, please help enlighten me so that I can be sure that I won't be speaking garbage on the matter in the future.

2) I have seen in films and on video games (although it's probably pretty obvious that these forms of media aren't very good as reference points) that when every round in a magazine has been used up, therefore leaving no rounds in either the magazine or the chamber, the slide remains pulled back because the hammer has no round to load into the chamber. My point is that, once a new magazine has been inserted, the slide just seems to spring back into its original position. Does this happen as soon as a new magazine is inserted, or does something have to be done in order for the slide to return to its original position, so that it can be pulled back once more to load a new round into the chamber?

Again, the same rule applies as before, if I have no idea what I'm talking about, please help me.

Finally...

3) I have heard that the slide can still be pulled back to load a new round into the chamber even when there's already a round in the chamber, and that such a method of ensuring that there's always a round loaded into the chamber can cause the gun to jam relatively often if not done carefully. Can anyone please extend on this description for me?

Thanks in advance to any help offered, and I hope to fit in to such a community online, ^_^

---

EDIT: My first blunder already, I've just noticed that there's an 'Ammunition and Reloading' section of the forum. If this thread should be there instead, then a Moderator can move it if he or she wishes to. I apologise for this.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Percussore Lynx:

The Beretta 92 is pretty typical of the normal pistol you might encounter.

The magazine holds the rounds to be fired (any number may be loaded up to the capacity of the magazine). The slide normally strips the cartridges off the top of the magazine. Unless the slide is pulled fully to the rear, the top cartridge will not be stripped from the magazine and pushed into the barrel. When ever the slide is pulled (or cycled by firing) fully to the rear, the slide extracts from the chamber (end of the barrel) either the previously fired cartridge case or an unfired cartridge. The action of loading the chamber with a cartridge can only be accomplished by the cycling the slide to the rear.

The normal sequence of use goes like this. A loaded magazine is placed in the guns handle and seated till it latches in. The slide is pulled back and released to allow it to quickly return forward. This action strips the top cartridge out of the magazine and puts it in the chamber of the barrel. The hammer is left cocked by this action. If the gun is desired to be made safe the decocker lever can be pressed or the hammer lowered manually (done by pulling the trigger and slowly, with full control of the hammer with your hand, all the way until it seats forward). If the gun is not decocked the trigger only need to be pulled (single action) to fire the cartridge. If the hammer is lowered to the safe position the gun can be made to fire by simply pulling the trigger hard (double action) where the hammer moves to the rear and releases, firing the catridge in the chamber. The act of firing cycles the slide, extracting the spent cartridge case, and loading a new cartrige, leaving the hammer cocked back and ready for a single action firing. After the last cartridge is fired the slide will cycle back and lock rearward (cocking the hammer) . A new magazine is inserted and the slide release must be pushed to allow the slide to move forward and stipping the top bullet from the magazine, loading it into the chamber. The hammer is left cocked making the gun ready to fire again. Alternately, the slide may grabbed in its rearward positon, pulled back a little more and released to allow it to travel forward seating a new cartridge. It is important to allow the gun this action under it full spring action and to not interfere with that action by releasing the slide under the control of your hand. It must be let to fly forward.

QUESTIONS:

"Which leads to my question... taking the third of those bullet points into account, can you manually cock the hammer to load a round into the chamber, instead of pulling the slide back?" NO>>>>>

"....slide just seems to spring back into its original position. Does this happen as soon as a new magazine is inserted, or does something have to be done in order for the slide to return to its original position, so that it can be pulled back once more to load a new round into the chamber? MUST PRESS SLIDE RELEASE OR PULL SLIDE FURTHER TO THE REAR WITH YOUR HAND>>>>>>>>>>

"...can cause the gun to jam relatively often if not done carefully." IF YOU OPERATE THE SLIDE SO THAT IT'S ACTION IS FAST (LIKE IN THE ACTUAL FIRING OF THE GUN) NO JAMS WILL OCCUR BUT IF YOU MOVE THE SLIDE SLOWLY TOTALLY CONTROLLING IT, THE GUN MAY BECOME JAMMED. IT WANTS THE QUICK ACTION TO OPERATE CORRECTLY.

"....there's an 'Ammunition and Reloading' section of the forum....." THAT IS FOR "RELOADING" THE CARTRIDGE WITH A NEW BULLET, POWDER, AND A PRIMMER. YOUR "RELOADING" QUESTIONS PERTAIN TO GUN OPERATION>>>>>

LDBennett
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Percussore Lynx.........and welcome to TFF.

LDBennett has pretty much answered your questions, but I just wanted you to know that we especially welcome young gun enthusiasts here.....and are always ready and willing to answer any questions you might have.

Remember.....there are no stupid questions. Only people too stupid to ask questions! :)