The Battle Continues .....

Discussion in 'VMBB Fire For Effect' started by SixTGunr, Sep 12, 2004.

1. SixTGunr

SixTGunr New Member

Yeah folks ... I'm still at it with regards to acquiring my benefits through the VA ... :mad:

I recently was denied yet "ANOTHER" time and this has been going on now for just about five years. As always its very depressing to receive such bad news but that just makes me want to go after 'em that much harder.

I do not complain that much because in reality I do have it a lot better than some others I have talked to. I do in fact have a primary care physician and access to treatment in mental health and receive meds. No problem there at all other than the fact that I have to travel almost 100 miles one way just to see the doc.

Because of the fact that I am not receiving any percentage of any kind ... Nada ... Zip ... Zero ... There are certain things that I cannot get.

For example: They will give me all the eye exams I want ... Can I get glasses ??? Absolutelly Not!

They will give me dental exams of all kinds ... Can I get a bad tooth pulled ??? Absolutely Not!

Really makes sense don't it ... ???

I have had several different NSO's through the years and the next one always seems to "have it together" a tad more than the last one but so far I'm still battin' ZERO ...

Give Up ... ??? NEVER ...

Oh well ... Time to do some more research regarding my case ...

Six
  2. Hope 69/70

Hope 69/70 New Member

You brought a sudden memory back Six.

You brought up about glasses. I will never forget those terrible looking things the Army used to give. I always went to an eye doctor off post to get mine. No way would I wear those terrible looking things that were issued. - Hope
  3. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

You mean dem pointy things Hope??? LOL!!!!!!!!:D;)
  4. SixTGunr

SixTGunr New Member

They were rather prehistoric Hope if my memory serves me correctly ... :D

I'd even settle for a pair of 'em if they'd only give 'em to me ... :(

Six
  5. azgunner

azgunner New Member

Regarding glasses, you should be able to go to a military instalation and get glasses from the optometry clinic there, even if it is birth control glasses.
    The Army's 'frame of choice' program may allow you to get decent looking eyes for nothing. Fort Leonard-Wood may be able to help you out.
    Even if you have to get the ugly frames, you should be able to find another shop to put your lenses into another frame. Take them in and ask them...

The Fort-
    http://www.wood.army.mil/

The hospital-
    http://glwach.amedd.army.mil/

OPTOMETRY CLINIC
    http://glwach.amedd.army.mil/PhoneASP/clinicnext.asp
    (573) 596-0048

Retiree Assistance
    Information Desk: (573) 596-1784 / 1787

This should be good info for you. Let me know if I can get you anything else.

aaron
  6. SixTGunr

SixTGunr New Member

Thanks Aaron ...

I'll look into that ...

Actually though I am not a retiree with only doing four years (1966-1970) in the Corps ...

Did not do twenty ... Without having any disability percentage of any kind (as I am still fighting for that) I was under the impression that there are a lot of services that I cannot get such as the glasses I explained. I have a good frind (retired Gunny with 20 years and he is at 100% disability) that gets everything and anything but with me not even having 1 percent I can't get certain things. Matter of fact .. they travel over to Leonard Wood monthly for stuff.

I'll definitely look into this though and let ya know. Thanks a bunch sir!

Six
  7. azgunner

azgunner New Member

No problem Six-
    Please let me know if I can do anything else...

aaron
  8. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

Good info there, az!
  9. azgunner

azgunner New Member

No problem at all. I've been asked all manner of questions and had so many "problem" soldiers in the last few years, I've had to become a research monkey just to keep up. The info for Six took about four minutes to find...
    Nothing but glad to help!
    aaron :)
  10. Hope 69/70

Hope 69/70 New Member

azgunner, hope you visit us a lot more. Are you on active duty?

I had to laugh at you referring to those glasses as "birth control glasses" The men must have been what you call "very safe" because they are the ones I remember seeing wearing them. I imagine free was a lot cheaper then trying to purchase a pair from the allowance we used to get once a month.

Hope