The best handgun for defense

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. hurley

hurley New Member

at home a win 1300 defender 20gauge with a pistol grip
    out and about kimber 1911 ultra carry
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Any handgun will work if you find yourself in a position that you need one.
    But, the tarus Judge looks to be like a nice sweet deal with the handgun for self defence.
    Both the 9mm and the 45acp has all the capabilities of getting the job done imo.
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Agree with ya on that one!, but I do like my DA S&W.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i firmly believe the best handgun for defense is the one you have handy when that time comes. caliber is unimportant keeping your cool and being able to hit what your aiming at is more the key to getting yourself out of what ever situation your found in that requires a handgun.
  5. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Actually, I was a much better trap and skeet shooter than I ever was with a hand gun. Maybe it was the moving target thing. But that's the reason I have a Mossberg 500 HD with 00 buck in a mattress rack. I remind my wife to tip toe to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or you, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to as many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....

If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, you can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable.

The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Hopefully I will never have a need to pull my gun on another person. But if I do that's just the feeling I want him to have!:D
  8. hogdoc357

hogdoc357 New Member

My primary CCW is a Taurus 650 .357 mag revolver. I also have a Taurus PT 709 Slim 9mm that I have carried. My holster is a SmartCarry (www.smartcarry.com). My carry ammo is Hornady .357 mag Critical Defense. My home defense is two more .357 mags and a 12 gauge pump shotgun (short barrel) loaded with 00 Buckshot.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  9. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

How do you sit wearing that thing?
  10. zb338

zb338 New Member

The only thing I have against shotguns is that they
    are kind of hard to get into play quickly. Especially
    at night when you are in bed. A pistol under your
    pillow or on the night stand is a lot easier.
    Zeke
  11. hogdoc357

hogdoc357 New Member

Graehaven:

It is surprisingly comfortable and my revolver is well-concealed. I have NO problems whatsoever sitting down. I ride my Harley all over the place with this holster with my .357 in it. Over time while riding, it is easy to forget I am carrying. What I love about the SmartCarry is that I can wear what I want to...including all shirts tucked in. It is almost impossible to know or see that I am carrying, unless you knew it and was looking for it. The preconceived notion I had was that it would be difficult to draw from a seated position. But with practice, this also is not only doable but anyone can develop speed in the draw. The gun is carried in a place that people are usually not starring at, and since I have my shirts tucked in, no one would even dream that I was carrying and this immediately relaxes everyone around me. The other day, I was attending a party at a Harley dealership. I walked by two cops and neither even suspected I was carrying. Of course, it would not matter since I have a CCW permit. But, if I can have the general public relaxed around me and not suspect anything, then that keeps the liberals quiet and it might give me an edge when confronted in a criminal assault situation. I also realize that no one holster pleases everyone, so this is my opinion and experience. I have purchased and worn several types of holsters. The SmartCarry is the most comfortable and the deepest concealment I have experienced. Tactical Tim Schmidt (USCCA) has a nice video on the SmartCarry. This can be found at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfW0bBgnSFw&feature=related
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010