The Firearms Forum banner

The Best Of The Lower End Manufacturers

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  DixieLandMan 
#1 ·
Which is the best and most trouble free of the following manufacturers?
Cobra
I.O.
Phoenix
Taurus
Kel-Tec
Bersa

Which brand is the worst?

#2 ·
for me it is like this
Bersa
Taurus
Ket-tec
Phoenix
Cobra
would not list IO since they can't seem to get things right and if you do end up with one and there is a problem they won't even return your email/faxes or phone calls or your FFL dealers

#3 · (Edited)
I would place these into two groups.

Bersa, Kel-tec, Taurus (Equal, just alphabetical)

Then lower: Cobra, IO, Phoenix (again alphabetical)

Some of Taurus' stuff will be better than some of Kel-tec's, but then on other guns it will be opposite. Both Kel-tec and Taurus are "idea" companies that frequently introduce new styles that are unlike anything else currently in production. When one of their guns shows strong market viability, one of the higher-end manufacturers will copy it in better materials and with tighter quality standards (S&W and Ruger have been guilty of this in recent years). Bersa seems less innovative, but they still make good firearms at a low price point.

#6 · (Edited)
I'd have to say that in my experience it would be:
Bersa
Kel-Tec
Taurus (customer service is their downfall)
High Point would mix in about here, but IMHO they are aimed at a different market.
The rest of them I haven't handled. Just see some negative stuff about the on the internet.

#10 ·
My thoughts mirror what Camping Josh posted, based upon both personal experience and from feed back from my circle of serious gun owners and shooters - all of which have CCW permits and carry and shoot regularly.

#14 ·
I'll group them like CJ did except I'll break them into three groups, and all in my humble opinion of course.

!st: Bersa, Taurus (own firearms from both).

2nd: Hi-Point, Kel-tec (own firearms from both).

3rd: Cobra, IO, Phoenix (no plans to own).

#16 ·
Where does American Tactical rank?
I see they are in CDNN catalog.
American Tactical Imports is an importing company; they represent several manufacturers. This is one of those harder-to-answer questions without knowing which particular model you're looking at.

I've heard many, many positive reports about the .22LR 1911s that they offer (manufactured by GSG), but I can't really tell you anything specific beyond that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.