The Best Scope Rings and Bases

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Frankb, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Frankb

Frankb New Member

Who makes the best scope rings and bases for holding zero? I talked to a man who builds rifles that are guaranteed to produce 1/2" groups at 100 yds.
    He said he uses clamp on Burris Signature rings with incerts with either Weaver Grand Slam steel bases or with Ferrel bases. He says the Leupold style turn in front bases with windage adjustments on the rear bases can lock in stress. I have used various bases and rings. What do those of you who do long range shooting and competition shooting think? What combo will work even for heavy kicking rifles (.338 WM and up)?
  2. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

Frankie,

What he says might be true. But like my boss once said in the machine shop. That isn't hard. - This is hard! He was refering to T1 Tool Steel.

I thought that it was hard and it was. But there is Stainless Steel Alloys that are even harder. Like a 48 - 52 Rockwell C

The .338 Winchester Mag doesn't kick that much. I had a .300 Weatherby Mag built on a 1917 Enfield that kicked pretty good. As a matter of a fact, I had a pretty good Weaver Scope that I mounted on it because I couldn't sight it in. Within 3 shots the lense broke in the eye piece.

I used a Weaver Base - which I believe was Aluminum, since most of them are. The Leupold style bases are a very good choice. Most good gunsmiths I know lap the bases after mounting on the gun. The run out in the bases are a mininum, but even just skuffing helps retain the scope in the mounts.

I also sometimes use a small piece of sand paper - 1000 - 1500 grit inside the rings to help hold the scope in place. Loctite also helps for people that do not want to use sand paper.

I have a Redfield Mount on one of my .270's and it has never moved in 10 years of hunting. But then again - I take pretty good care of my firearms and never drop them or lug them around in the back of a pick up truck like some people.

Here is a good article for you to read.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_9_49/ai_105642911

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/brand.asp?brand=REDFIELD
  3. Shooter973

Shooter973 New Member

Ruger Factory Rings and Bases will do very well thank you.