1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

The Best Scope

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by nadroj, Sep 4, 2009.

1. nadroj

nadroj New Member

I know that rifle scopes are not necessarily a reloading subject. Since I reload this is usually where I look to get good info on all subjects. I recently bought a Savage, Stevens 308 bolt action. Great rifle but I am wondering what is the best scope to put on it. There are nice scopes at good prices but I want one that get me right up to the targe at 200 yards and last the life of the rifle if well maintained. I know that there are a lot of different types out there and everyone has their favorite. Maybe just some good advce is what I am looking for. Thanx in advance for any information.
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Optics are an area where you will get what you pay for. It sounds like your max range will be 200 yards so you don't need a super magnification scope. You may even want to get a higher quality fixed power in 4X or a 1.5 x 6 variable. I don't know what your budget is but Leuopod makes decent optics as does Burris. What I would do is shop around and look thru a bunch before you make up your mind. Most have a lifetime warranty but check it to be sure.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  3. Freebore

Freebore New Member

With todays computer operated (lenses grinding software) equipment available to any manufactuer, the quality of optics has improved greatly over the years. In early years many of the expensive optics were hand polished making cost very high, today, duplicating this quality by computer is far less costly.

There are many good quality scopes at fair prices on the market today, I would look for good fit and finish along with clarity. Unless your into very long range shooting from a rest, I would stay away from anything over twelve power (12X), 3-9's work great for most shooters.

One of my first scopes was a Weaver K6 (fine crosshair) that I used for most everything (wish I still had it today).
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Today inexpensive scopes are often optically superior to expensive scopes of 60 years ago. Lens making is now mostly a CNC process, not a skilled art or science.

Better and high end scopes will have better optical systems than cheap or inexpensive scopes. However, the "law of diminishing returns" is a reality once you reach the mid range products. For example a $200 scope may be twice as good optically, as a $60 scope; but a $1200 scope is not likely to be twice as good as $500 one; more like 10% to 15% better.

The big differences in scopes are the robustness of their adjusting systems. My inexpensive scopes will not reliably hold their zero's; especially when subjected to heavy recoil or the vibrations caused by auto-loading actions. One major maker once advertised that its best scope would take 10,000 shots on a 375 H&H Mag. Its next to best grade was good for only go 2000 shots on the same rifle.
  5. Wildalaska

Wildalaska Former Guest

Im a firm believer that the cheapest scope one would ever buy is a leupold or Trijicon. If you want to pay more than that get a Zeiss, S&B or Swarovski
  6. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Weaver used to be the scope of the day for reliable, and not expensive. No longer on the inexpensive list, but still is good. I own several that served more than 40 plus years, However, most of the scopes with the exception of a few high end ones are a combination of China/Japan manufacture with some of the old made in the USA names. Weaver, Redfield, Bushnell, and others fall in that catagory. Optics are better even in the lower price range, than some of those in days gone by. Many say that you get what you pay for, but I can't see a specialty scope that costs many times more than the rifle:D