the biggest problem in youth groups today...

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by Dan Newberry, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Dan Newberry

Dan Newberry New Member

Our youth are not being taught to defend the faith. They are being given no apologetics teaching whatsoever, from what I'm seeing.

Then they toddle off to college where their faith in Christ is whittled away at, little by little, by egg-headed hell-bound reprobate faculty members... and they come away from university as agnostics or else outright atheists. Statistics prove this.

So we need to teach our children to defend the faith, not only against atheists, agnostics and followers of false religions, but even against Laodicean pseudo-christians who espouse evolution as a way that God created life over "millions and millions of years"... :bleh:

Our young people should know enough facts of science and nature to refute such nonsense. They need to understand how to show the atheist that he is in fact more religious than any Christian ever was; the atheist has science and his own understanding as his god, and he himself believes in some truly astounding fairy tales (once upon a time there was nothing, then nothing exploded, now there's everything)... :rolleyes:

If we don't teach our youth HOW to defend the faith, then when they are challenged by the unbelievers they encounter they may fall away from Truth.

Dan
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Look around you at our youth. The large majority have never seen the inside of a Church. Most of those that have gone to Church with mom, and dad, are usually gone by the time they are 18. And they only went because mom, and dad, made them go. They were not interested, therefore they learned nothing. Christianity is taught in the home, not in Church. Church is a place we go to re-fuel, home is where we live our faith. Last night I was listening to a preacher talking about this very same subject. He reminded us that there are things in our homes today that our Grand Parents would have busted our butts for in the past. These things set up our young people for the days when the enter into our public schools to learn that mom, and dads, religion is junk, and that America is the Bad Guy, the agressor, and the one to blame for most of the worlds problems. If you have children, and you are not involved with their schools, and with the school board, then you (we) will loose those prescious souls.
  3. rosierita

rosierita New Member

too many christians have been lulled to sleep by satan's "song"... too many are living like the world lives... they have forgotten their 1st love.

we made the "tough" decision to homeschool our kids. my family was totally against it bc it went "against the grain". it scared them to death. they couldnt understand why i had to be so rebellious... (my grandparents nearly had strokes when we left the family church too.)

so.. our kids received a christian education, at home. at the start of each day, we read a chapter in the bible & prayed together, then they read lessons from a biblical perspective.

when you remove "the world" from the equation & bring them up w/ that independence, it DOES make a difference!

we've still faced challenges, don't get me wrong, both kids are very independent, but they can hold their own. both carry strong convictions & both, at times, have shocked me at just how strongly they can stand on them!

our doing this was a huge sacrifice in time & money, but there is no better investment.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you love your children, get them out of Public Education!
  5. rosierita

rosierita New Member

amen!
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I agree 100%.
    As Spurgeon said, our pastors today (he said that a long time ago) are "entertaining the goats, not feeding the sheep."
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I agree. "A fool saith in his heart there is no God."
    Why would I want to put my child in an education system based on Fools and their doctrine?
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

This is absolutely true!

I have tried to teach my children how to defend Christianty and it is not as hard as you think...

atheism: how can something (the universe) come from nothing? takes less faith to believe that God is the Creator...

age of the universe being 13B years vs 6,000 years from what we know from the bible: you have to know that the methods used to age the universe are based on assumptions, and can not be proven with certainty (half lives of isotopes have not always been constant)!

evolution: really a non issue, believe it if you wish... evolution doesn't tell us how something came from nothing... if evolution is really true and man evolved from apes why are there still apes?

there is no truth: is that really true? did you just state a truth?

The real defense of the faith today is from other religions that claim to be true Christianity... these are the ones that take more careful study, but at the end of the day the main issue and difference between them all is the Divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ and how man can receive eternal life...
  9. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree - the Public Educational system is HORRID.

But we are ALL paying for it -
    We HAVE to straighten this system out.

The atheists, the ultra-liberals, have an agenda.
    They are winning because they concentrated their efforts in two areas:

Education (They have taken over the Public system virtually completely)
    Communication (they have taken over MOST of Hollywood and broadcasters)

To win, we must do more than pull our kids from public school and burn our TV sets; we have to TAKE THOSE AREAS BACK!!

Keep pushing your legislators for a Voucher system for the schools.
    Give parents a say in WHERE their kids go to school, and the liberal and failing public system will either close up shop, or change their agenda due to lack of students.

Keep writing and complaining about the CRAP that is being broadcast into our homes.

JMHO, of course -
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

As a minister to youth (in a somewhat nontraditional role), I really don't think that the lack of apologetics is the biggest problem in youth ministry. Don't get me wrong; that is sorely lacking, but I see it as a symptom of a larger problem.

Over the last 60 years or so, churches have actively divorced youth ministry from the family. Despite teaching throughout the Bible that the father is the head of the family and responsible for teaching, we hire young men--usually those who are not even fathers themselves--and expect them to fill that role. The youth minister is supposed to teach deep biblical truth, offer complete counseling services, lead missions trips, all while maintaining a "fun" atmosphere--and doing this for every young person in the congregation.
    We expect that they will be able to deeply impact the lives of our young people in a way that will cause permanent, transformative life changes, and we want them to do it in two to five hours of interaction per week.

And we are shocked--shocked--that this system fails. :confused::confused::confused:

If a student attend Sunday School, Sunday night youth group, and Wednesday night youth group, that's five hours per week. Parents have their children for that long every night.

The biggest problem in youth ministry is that the Church has been letting parents shirk their responsibility. When our young people head off to college and then fall away from the faith, it's not a failure of the youth ministry; it's a failure of the Church and of the family.
  11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I would agree with that. When I was growing up in Church, the parents were the youth pastors. We did not have a paid youth pastor.
  12. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

another point i would add is that parents can not rely on the church to teach their children how to have a relationship with Jesus Christ... parents need to teach their kids how to pray and communicate with God, how to read scripture, how to live righteously, and most importantly parents need to walk the talk in their own life or their kids won't believe it is real...
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Paid youth pastor?
    Heck, my church does not have a paid ADULT pastor!

LOL!!

I sure do agree, though.
    The family should attend church AS A FAMILY.

I remember a little Baptist church we attended in IL.
    I LOVED that little church, and got WELL grounded in the word there.

But there was a lady there, a stalwart of the church, that wanted to teach adult Sunday School.
    They determined that Scripture forbade her to teach adult men on the basis that this would be a woman taking authority over a man, so they split up the adult Sunday School into Men and Women, so she could teach the women.
    We HATED it.
  14. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There are four public schools here that came under intense scrutiny 3 years ago. They were told, in no way to be misunderstood, the educational programs, and the quality of the teachers at those schools suck. They were given until the end of this past school session to get ON TRACK with the private / charter schools, or they would be closed and the students would be transferred.

Wow, now everybody's grades have improved, and graduation has been the norm.
    Just ask the teachers and principals at those schools. It's a lovely day in those neighborhoods. :p:p:p:p
  15. rosierita

rosierita New Member

how we are raised affects greatly our ability to relate to God. fathers need to see & accept the responsibility that God gave them in the relationship w/ their families...

how a son's relationship w/ his daddy goes = how that son relates to Daddy God, how valued he feels, how he sees himself, etc. sons 1st experience love of a daddy from their earthly dad.

how a daughter relates to her daddy = how she relates to Daddy God, how valued she feels, how she sees herself, etc. daughters 1st experience love of a daddy from their earthly dad.

i'm not trying to gloss over a mother's role in the rearing of children at all, i hope i'm not giving that impression.. a mother's responsibilities in the rearing of children as just as important.

but man those daddies are so important!
  16. One Shot

One Shot Member

David A Noebel wrote a book entitled "Understanding the Times". It is a little deep for most youth but still a great read. He has an abridged versions and a lesson kit for youth groups to use.

Several have produced youth group materials related to this type of information that prepares Christian kids when they go off to college.

I can't remember the name of the book right now and I can't find my copy but Dobson and Focus on the Family have produced good materials for it.

I still recommend "The Lie" by Ken Ham. It's an easy read and fully explains how humanism is influencing our kids.

os
  17. Ace243

Ace243 New Member

The biggest thing to help youth is to live a righteous life and be an example to them. Being a great example all throughout your life is what others need, not just youth. My father was the greatest example for me when I was growing up. I always wanted to be like him. His demeanor and spirit and life he had in him is what I wanted to be like. The love and friendship he showed to all. I had a great dad. Don't get me wrong, we cannot be complete pushovers, and my dad was definitely not that. I've seen him mad often enough, but it was never anything petty. Jesus never told us to roll over and take everything anyone throws at us. "Then He said to them, 'But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.'" Luke 22:36 NKJV. We must be able to discern things for ourselves. I think that is the most valuable lesson I was taught as a child. I used discernment throughout my life to tell what was bullarky and what had truth to it. Even if it has some truth to it, does not make it completely true. I was in public schools and learned a lot, but I always looked at things through the lens of my faith in Jesus. Even through college I always applied everything to the bible. It worked great and I was always finding things that were tweaked to exclude God and had a false belief- it was irritating, but I do believe everyone does what they do because their soul is in search of the Holy Spirit. I think our spirit knows there is a God and it seeks him out-even if our minds do not acknowledge it. So I think if we teach our children to think for themselves and have a close praying and seeking relationship with Jesus, and to discern things in this world for themselves (Test the spirits), they will find their way just fine. We have to teach them these things.
    I am 22 and just graduated college, this was my lamp; discernment.
    Pray and read the bible. Fellowship with brothers and sisters. There is hope, but we have to take action. Even if we homeschool we have to speak up and pro-actively seek out positive change. Everyone needs to stand up for what they think is right and do the right thing, no matter how many or how few people are doing the same. Right is right. Everyone has a different role to play.