the biggest problem in youth groups today...

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by Dan Newberry, Jan 11, 2012.

1. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

David A Noebel wrote a book entitled "Understanding the Times". It is a little deep for most youth but still a great read. He has an abridged versions and a lesson kit for youth groups to use.

Several have produced youth group materials related to this type of information that prepares Christian kids when they go off to college.

I can't remember the name of the book right now and I can't find my copy but Dobson and Focus on the Family have produced good materials for it.

I still recommend "The Lie" by Ken Ham. It's an easy read and fully explains how humanism is influencing our kids.

os
  2. Ace243

Ace243 New Member

The biggest thing to help youth is to live a righteous life and be an example to them. Being a great example all throughout your life is what others need, not just youth. My father was the greatest example for me when I was growing up. I always wanted to be like him. His demeanor and spirit and life he had in him is what I wanted to be like. The love and friendship he showed to all. I had a great dad. Don't get me wrong, we cannot be complete pushovers, and my dad was definitely not that. I've seen him mad often enough, but it was never anything petty. Jesus never told us to roll over and take everything anyone throws at us. "Then He said to them, 'But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.'" Luke 22:36 NKJV. We must be able to discern things for ourselves. I think that is the most valuable lesson I was taught as a child. I used discernment throughout my life to tell what was bullarky and what had truth to it. Even if it has some truth to it, does not make it completely true. I was in public schools and learned a lot, but I always looked at things through the lens of my faith in Jesus. Even through college I always applied everything to the bible. It worked great and I was always finding things that were tweaked to exclude God and had a false belief- it was irritating, but I do believe everyone does what they do because their soul is in search of the Holy Spirit. I think our spirit knows there is a God and it seeks him out-even if our minds do not acknowledge it. So I think if we teach our children to think for themselves and have a close praying and seeking relationship with Jesus, and to discern things in this world for themselves (Test the spirits), they will find their way just fine. We have to teach them these things.
    I am 22 and just graduated college, this was my lamp; discernment.
    Pray and read the bible. Fellowship with brothers and sisters. There is hope, but we have to take action. Even if we homeschool we have to speak up and pro-actively seek out positive change. Everyone needs to stand up for what they think is right and do the right thing, no matter how many or how few people are doing the same. Right is right. Everyone has a different role to play.