The Bill of Rights Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shooter45, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

This was written by a good friend of mine. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

The Bill of Rights Day

December 15th has been known as Bill of Rights day since 1941. The following is an op-ed piece of unknown origin regarding this day:

“The Bill of Rights defines America . Why don't we celebrate it?

“The Constitution of the United States would never have become the law of the land without the Bill of Rights. Several states refused to join the Union unless there was a Bill of Rights to limit the federal power and protect individual rights. Why don't we celebrate it?

“The Bill of Rights guarantees fundamental civil and human rights: the freedoms of speech, press, assembly, religion; protections against unreasonable searches and coerced confessions; rights to counsel and a jury trial. For these rights and freedoms people have struggled for centuries. The Bill of Rights remains a beacon to freedom-loving people worldwide. Why don't we celebrate it?

“The Bill of Rights does more: it defines the limits of government power. More directly than any other single document of law, the Bill of Rights stands between tyranny and liberty. Refugees flee to the United States , not for its "three separate branches of government," not for its arrangement of senators and representatives, but for its liberty. The foundation of that liberty is the Bill of Rights. Why don't we celebrate it?

“We have special days for the birthdays of great leaders, to remember special events, and to honor our military services. But all of these remarkable people and events aimed to advance the cause of liberty -- the cause of the Bill of Rights.

“Let's celebrate it! Every town, city, and state should designate one day as Bill of Rights Day. The logical date would be December 15, because on that date in 1791 the Bill of Rights was finally ratified. Just one day per year, let us fly the flag, put up a poster, and most important of all: read the Bill of Rights. And read it to our kids, in libraries, in schools, in homes.

“Let's celebrate December 15 as Bill of Rights Day, and declare our support for all of the Bill of Rights for all citizens. We owe it to our forefathers, and we owe it to our kids.”

Galatians 5:1 (KJV): Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Written by Pastor Terry Trainor
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, shooter -

There are few holidays that have stirred LESS interest than this one -
    And that speaks volumes about the current culture of our nation, I fear.

Terry
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

4. artabr

artabr New Member

It's really a shame. I have 4 calenders in my house and not one has the 15th marked as Bill of Rights day.

Art
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you!

And I know; NONE of my paper calendars show this holiday either; it took an electronic calendar I have (Calendar Magic) to turn this one up.
    Roosevelt declared it a holiday in 1941!!