The Build (W/TFF Help)

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Airdale, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Airdale

Airdale Active Member

For a couple years I've been mulling over a build kinda
    mimicking (not duplicating) the military sniper platform. But they Changed it
    midstream to the XM2010 platform. That new platform grew on me but I couldn't find a suitable "chassis"...'Til a few weeks back. It was then I discovered the XLR industries Evolution Chassis, BEHOLD:
    http://www.xlrindustries.com/evolution.html

Well the juices been flowing ever since. I won't bore you with all the thought
    process for the choices I made for what I decided to put in that thing of beauty (looong story) I'll just give you what I ended up with.

Caliber 7mm Rem. Mag; flatter, farther shooting than .308 and less recoil than the 300 Win Mag the Army uses.

Donor Rifle Stevens 200: Been investigating Savage Stevens for builds for awhile and since the Evolution has already been inletted for Savage that seemed the most economical way to go.

The only thing left was to find out was is there a Magazine for the 7mm.
    before I layed out any cash? Today I got my answere from Kyle at XLR.

Hello Tom, Yes, The 7mm Rem Mag will feed just fine from a 300 WM magazine.

Within an hour I recieved a call from a guy from the Armslist that had a NIB Stevens 200 7mm for $300 that I had emailed about Sunday. He had brought the gun to work and asked if I wanted it. I had it home within two hours.
    Some things are just meant to be.:dance:

Now, for the TFFers role. I need some help making my mind up on certain
    build items, so here goes:

Barrel: Contour, Varmint or Bull?
    Length, 26" or 24" ala military.

Muzzle, Would it be wise to have it threaded and capped for a brake
    down the road?

Maker, Kinda down to Criterion or Shilen, trying to be economical
    but this has got to be a shooter (whole point of build).

Action: Maybe you smiths can chime in here. I know Josh has experience
    wih Savages. Is it worth lapping and squaring etc.?

Trigger: Probably just stick a Rifle Basix in.

OK guys and gals fire away, all opinions and suggestions appreciated.

Sorry to be so windy but I'm kinda stoked:dancingdots:

Pix of the Caterpillar awaiting transformation up soon.

Hope to document entire process on this thread.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Excited for you, this is going to be a great project.

I would go 26" bull barrel, but gotta know what bullets you're intending to shoot. are you looking for a 1000yrder and heavier bullets?

Hart, Criterion, Shilen, Kreiger.. the list is almost endless with todays selection of great barrel makers; I'd say you'll be happy with any of them, pick the one that works best for you. I'd take a Shilen as my first option personally.

Yes, it's worth it to lap and square everything, threads, lugs, etc.

I would have a brake on it from the get-go. ( just my .02c though)
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'm thinking 26" bull
  4. Airdale

Airdale Active Member

My $300 start.

Attached Files:

5. Airdale

Airdale Active Member

Update on my project. Barrel and tools for barrel change in route. Went with Criterion varment contour 26" from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply (NSS). Jim was very helpful and great to work with.

Ordered the Evolution chassis from Kyle Miller at XLR and it looks like a ten week wait. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Kyle has replied to every email and phone call in a timely manner answering every question very quickly.

I just want to add that the experience I've had so far in dealing with these two businesses has been a pleasent surprise. Talk about customer service!
    I had a hard time getting through to Jim at NSS on the phone (busy) but after talking to him I unerstood why. Jim will answer any and all questions completely and treats you as if you were his only customer, never rushing you.

Kyle at XLR has replied to every query within a couple of hours same with phone calls.

So far not one bad experience, unless you count the stainless barrel nut backordered from Midway:banghead:
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

SOLD! I know what my next build is.. Thanks Airdale.. My wife will kick me outta the house now.. :) Gotta build me a 'tuber' too.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Jim Briggs is great. I love doing business with him.
  8. Airdale

Airdale Active Member

The first parts arrived, barrel and lug. Tools, Action wrench and barrel nut wrench. Couldn't be more pleased with the barrel. Now if Midway would just ship the SS barrel nut.

Attached Files:

9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Shulda had Jim toss one in the box for ya. My first NSS order came just as your right there except I got the nut from Jim too.
  10. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

Awesome! Just wondering, how much does that barrel weigh? That XLR Evolution looks pretty badass. I like how the website has a picture with a S/S barrel as well.
  11. Airdale

Airdale Active Member

Wish I woulda thought to have Jim throw one in.

Don't have a real accurate scale but it looks like it ways in at 4-4.5 lbs.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Definitely lap the lugs at the very least airdale. I know the savage stevens have the floating bolt head thats supposed to give 100% blah blah blah, but it does make a diffrence. and while you have the bolt apart order a tactical knob. The factory savage hunting bolt knobs are short and in the evolution chassis they may be hard to get ahold of. If you have the tools or a smith closeby, have him face off the action square with the barrel threads and if the Savage nut is factory have him face it off square with its threads too. Itll make for a bind free fit which will help tremendously in the accuracy dept. Mostly in stopping unexplained flyers.

The criterion barrels are my choice. Just make sure you do a proper break in. My break in method is a modified version of Jim Briggs'. Do it right and you'll likely never have to brush that bore to clean it. Does the .284 bore have 4 groove radiused rifling or 6 groove? The .308 barrel i ordered has 4 groove radiused. Or 'tangentially disposed' as its properly referred to.

Im completely sold on the evolutions chassis systems too. They are comparable in price to the AICS chassis, but have all the benefits of a modular AR system with the rail options and whatnot and are completely user adjustable. Soon as i can justify burning a grand Im putting one on my savage.

The recoil lug keyway on the stevens action will likely need to be addressed before the NSS lug will fit it. Most important thing is to make sure the lug key doesnt bottom out in the keyway. Im sure Jim explained it to you, he did me when i made my first order.

Speaking of which I have an order form him coming in pretty soon for my remage hybrid. Cant wait!
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Tha savage I built was with a 26" Varmint contour .308 barrel from CBI. the rifle weighs 12 pounds after I got it all together. I think the barrel is at least 5.
  14. Airdale

Airdale Active Member

With some help from Josh I got up enough courage to remove the Barrel from the action. With a huge breaker bar attached to the barrel nut wrench it came off easily.

Attached Files:

15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its all downhill from here. Good work and cant wait to see the XLR chassis.