The Colony

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maximilian II, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Anyone else watching The Colony on Discover Channel?
    10 strangers from different professions and backgrounds are put together in a survival (urban) environment for 10 weeks. It's of the dreaded "reality show" ilk but passes itself off as more of an experiment, with some engineered problems introduced for the colonists.
    The scenario is vaguely one where a biological disaster has occurred at apocalyptical levels. Setting is Los Angeles.

For a reality show based idea, it's pretty thought provoking. I notice there are not any "survivalist" types in the colony.
    More memorable characters are:
    Handyman. A high-strung type, he's really one of the most useful members but everyone would be better off if he was a little more cool-headed.
    Contractor. An ex-con and workaholic, he's a tough workhorse.
    Doctor. Actually not just a doctor but the one person who pushes the hardest for security measures against the "Marauders" who periodically show up.
    Trauma Nurse. Unless someone gets hurt she'll be useless except as eye candy. I have a hard time believing she's really a trauma nurse. Most I've met are more mentally tough.
    Martial arts instructor. I'm disappointed. I've been a martial artist for 28 years, the producers have found a poor example.
    Computer Engineer. Smart older fellow, he knows a LOT of science which is more useful by far than his profession would lead one to believe. Builds a solenoid-activated flamethrower for defense even though he's really non-violent.
    Rocket Scientist. She hasn't done much so far.
    Machinist. He's doing his part quietly thus far.

Can't recall the others so far. Maybe I misremember and there are not 10 people.

Anyhow, I like watching and laughing at some of the priorities they come up with. For example, one argument is that electricity is more important than toilet paper. Um, disagree! I can live without power but I WILL have TP! Anyone thinking otherwise can be my bum-cleaner.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I seen previews for it, but wasnt too thrilled with it. In the previews they show people coming over with guns.... where are the colonists guns at? If it indeed were this post apocalyptical situation, guns would be easy to acquire. Yet they dont have any, and they spend a lot of time developing other weapons. Which is okay. But for them not to have any guns just doesnt make any sense to me. I could be wrong, this is just what I gather from the 2 or 3 previews I have seen.
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

The participants aren't actors. They can't really kill people but some of the people who portray "outside influences" are armed with Kalashnikovs, M2HB's, and Colt 1911's to emphasize the danger element and to make them more "untouchable" and thus forcing the participants to negotiate.
    I agree, OH HECK YEAH one of my first priorities in this situation would be to arm myself assuming I didn't already have my own stuff available. They're having to do it the hard way.
    My first thought when they encountered aggressive "Marauders" was to take the fight to the enemy, scout out and begin the most appropriate offensive campaign against them.
    But then I did say it was thought provoking. I'll happily learn from others' errors, they don't hurt as bad as my errors.
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I been wanting to watch this since the first preview... Problem is that it goes off at 10:00pm here... 4:00am comes a little too early for that.

Can you watch it on-line?

Crpdeth
  5. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Last night Discovery was replaying all the previous episodes back to back, so I got to watch the first three but had to call it a night at 11pm. I was entertained watching how they overcame obstacles like fresh water and recharging the batteries they were using for power. But like others have mentioned, they have not been given the ability to defend themselves and most don't seem really inclined to.

I will say that it's a good thing they DON'T have guns because some innocent actor playing the part of a thug would get hurt. I'd be surprised if no one ended up injured in some way anyway.

I wish I could have stayed up and watched more.
  6. ARB

ARB New Member

The colonists are very good at what they do. However, It's hard to imagine that these people would be so lucky as to find each other. Where is the used car salesman, housewife, etc.? If I was to survive an apocalyptic disaster, it would be great to band together with masters of all important trades. Also, the "outsiders" clearly could take over if they wanted. It is what it is, a pretty good show.
  7. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Guns would have been my first priority. Then TP :eek: :D

Sounds like it might be kind of interesting. But my survival mode and Hollyweird's ain't the same.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I tried to watch the first episode, but couldn't get interested because these nit wits were setting themselves up for disaster. The first priority in any survival situation is to arm yourself. You will not survive if you can not defend yourself. A club would be first if nothing else was available at the moment. A hand gun would possibly get you a shotgun or a rifle. You must always be looking to upgrade your ability to defend yourself!
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Watched it for about 5 minutes, last night. "Traders", one with an AK, another wearing a holstered auto of some kind, are in the compound. After the trade is completed they then want more. They want oranges. The guy that appears to be the spokesman for the compound says they ain't got no oranges. But this pissed-off woman goes and gets them some. Another woman, as the first one is getting them out of storage, is saying, "We aren't going to give them all these, are we?"

I changed the channel, then. That was about all I could stand.

Roving band of armed men, after TSHTF, could be traders, but more likely are brigands. No way would I allow them inside my compound. Now they know what we have, how many fighters we have, how we are armed. Real good chance that tomorrow they will come back and they will end up with everything the people in the compound have, plus a bunch of strong male slaves and a bunch of new whores.

If they are worried about killing the actors, arm the survivors with paintball guns. Or real guns using those paint bullets cops use for training. Might be interesting to see one of them suddenly pull a gun and cap all the "traders". See if the other survivors say, "Oh, wow. We now have weapons plus all their trade goods. You rock, Bob", or, "Murderer, murderer", and banish him from the compound, or "Murderer, murderer", and hang him from a tree.
  10. bizy

bizy New Member

Ya, I've been watching also.. Most of the ideas and things I've thought of myself, but don't have the nerve to do it without my trusty AK & bulldog. I prefer wilderness survival as opposed to living in a use to be city..
  11. ARB

ARB New Member

They also desperately need to pick a leader. If I had to listen to all that bickering, I would open the gate and join the guys with the guns.
  12. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

make believe was fun when I was ten. the real world isn't shown on TV.
  13. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

+1 .................never watched or cared for "Survivor..Big Brother...the bachlor(et) with a rose...24...etc....."...

Have seen this one some though...while waiting to surf other shows on the channel....

Can understand the concept...audience selection.....and heard there was talks of arms w/blanks ..but final decision was to be real as possible.....

DOnt really care for it as to a REAL situation/scenario...Although I have watched with interest concerning the way most of these individuals have
    "sunk" or molded themelves into character.....protraying a genuine sense of realism to current time stamp...ie...extreme role playing...I am assuming they live in this situation 24/7.as in other shows....and unless there is some extreme acting going on...I feel there will be need for some serious counseling when the series ends........?

2 cents..
  14. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

Dont watch thier TV any more. When the media stopped reporting the news and started making it up.
    I waste my time reloading and listening to music
  15. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Haven't watched it. From what I've just read, doesn't sound like it's anything that I'd even want to watch. I agree with other posts here. Priority number one...GET A GUN!!! Period. It does not matter what else you build, scrounge, improvise, etc. If you are unarmed, the zombies can just waltz right in a take it. Plus, if you have a decent rifle, you won't starve as long as there are tasty animals to shoot.