The cost of S&W revolvers!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by LDBennett, Nov 28, 2010.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have not bought a S&W revolver in about 10 years (I have plenty I bought before that). My daughter's husband has a blue Model 10 that he is contemplating selling to me for my son's wife so he can get a stainless version to replace it (he's into stainless ???). So we went to the the S&W site and OH-MY-GOD the prices of S&W revolvers! There was not one steel 38 priced below $500 and some were $1000. I think his replacement costs will kill the deal?

I guess that is what you have to do to the prices to make guns in the USA as the Ruger pricing was similar. We may all be into plastic guns if this price escalation keeps up!

LDBennett
  2. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I'm shopping for a Ruger GP-100 4", and of course I'm also looking at compilable S&W revolvers, what I've found...(at least here in New Jersey)....is the S&W's are anywhere from $200.00 to $500.00 higher than the Ruger, and that includes the special edition GP-141-P Royal Phoenix from Lipsey's......

It's getting hard to swallow paying than much money for the simplistic mechanism of a revolver....no matter how refined they may be......
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  3. djdarrin

djdarrin New Member

I just picked up a S&W model 642 for $465, plus the $50 rebate after that.
  4. K75RT

K75RT Member

5. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I think I am going to sell my 6" 686 if anybody is interested. It's got the factory target grips plus two other sets of grips, PLUS the original factory box, paperwork, cleaning rod and brush (unopened) and even the wax paper ! It's a no suffix straight-up 686 in excellent condition.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

We had a new Smith and Wesson .38 spacial "bodyguard" with the laser on it out this past weekend. I think the only thing on it that was steel/metal on it was the barrel!
    It did shoot real good, but the price on the new revolver (which this one was), man!
    The prices are going up and the metal/steel is fading!
  7. LDBennett

We shot an older aluminum framed short barreled defense S&W this weekend and it hurt the hand to shoot. I'm not all that affected by recoil but when the recoil is so sharp like that, it hurts the hand. I would not own any gun so light that it hurts to shoot it. That takes all the versatility out of the gun making it purely defense only and probably making you not want to practice with it (not good!).

LDBennett
  8. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Yes, they are way overpriced for what you get.

Apparently, though, the market will bear that price. Won't for much longer I imagine. I think USED firearms will be a hot market pretty soon.
  9. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I have both a S&W 37 Airweight that I regularly shoot with +p's and an old Charter Bulldog (light weight) in .44 Special, and while I have MANY other revolvers, these are the two that I both shoot, and carry, most often. I just fell in LOVE with the alloy framed revolvers and dont mind the recoil of either one.

I have always been a proponent of buying good USED firearms, and S&W revolvers are no different. If it were me, I would bird dog the three biggest "on line gun auction/sale" sites (BRANDX, AuctionArms and GunsAmerica) and haunt the larger gun shows in your area, and handle, inspect, and check lockup on all the S&W Kframes I could find, in both .38 and .357 and see what I could find. Although I am not from the Peoples Republic of Cali, I would expect that you could find excellent examples in both blue and stainless, in either caliber, for right around $300. (Of course, firearms prices in the Obamanation HAVE climbed steadily. Thank you Mr. President.)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  10. LDBennett

The problem in California is that dealers in CA can only sell guns on the "List". New manufacturers have to submit several guns for testing (I think to destruction??) and pay a large fee to get the gun on the list. Every variation including color has to be tested separately. It also has to be renewed every few years for more money. When a model is discontinued it eventually drops off the list. That means the used gun market through dealers is pretty much limited. Private party (consignment sales through dealers) is possible but the gun still has to go through the same process as a new gun which can add as much as $100 to the price if you have to take the handgun test too. That includes buying a gun from a friend or neighbor... the sale must go through a dealer for handgun registration and check of the buyer.

So finding a used gun in CA can be hard and expensive if it is not a "Listed" current gun.

Then there is my exact situation. My son-in-law is trying to upgrade. The gun he wants to sell has a new barrel and just came back from S&W getting the full treatment including a new cylinder. It is like factory new. I seriously doubt he wants anything but the latest greatest brand new. Buying used might not fit that bill (??). The whole thing may be dead because of the S&W and Ruger exorbitant pricing.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  11. fritz

fritz New Member

How much do you want for it?, and were are you located?
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I also think the prices are too high, even for some of the used models. I really want a S&W in .44 spcl, but at $7-800, I might go with the Charter Bull Dog Target in .44 spcl. Not what I really want to do, but the Charter is half the price new, as the Smith is used.
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

a local gunstore advertised your choice of a smith 642 or 638 for 329 after rebate. new. i have 350 for my 642 used
  14. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

s&w prices were increasing long before obama took office. and it's really a shame because smith revolvers are excellent pieces . not as robust as the ruger but more refined , at least in my opinion. perhaps one reason the prices are outragous is smith and wesson has to defend themselves in court when silly ass law suits are brought agaisnt them by ... for example the city of chicago ie mayor daily :mad: and the fact on the automatic side they make lemon after lemon and have to raise the prices to help pay for warranty work and recalls :D and lets not forget about the lost contracts they endured at the hands of glock,sig beretta and h&k. there was a time when smith rules the law enforcement area in sales, not so much any more the last i read was they are number 4 on the list in total law enforcement sales
  15. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

S&W are expensive but they are also the premium revolver right now. I think if Colt was still producing SA/DA revovlers the prices wouldn't be as high. Come to think of it, S&W is walking the same path as Colt. They may end up out pricing themselves.

That being said. I do think the performance center models are worth it. The one I have has the best trigger I've ever used on any handgun. The fit and finish is perfect. I don't understand the entry S&W prices but the performance center versions are worth it to me.