The cost of S&W revolvers!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by LDBennett, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Quite frankly fellas, look around you....anything made in America is going up in price for both new and used...
    Another example are Jeep Wranglers and their earlier CJ models, check out the prices on new Jeep Wranglers, they see what the used one's are fetching. The price on used Jeeps are so high right now that you're better off buying new.
    There's a 2004 Wrangler Sport at the used car lot around the corner from me, it's clean looking, but has 121,000 miles on it, and they want $10,499.00 for it.....seriously 10-5 for a basic model Jeep Wrangler with that many miles on it, maybe if it had 60K or less, but 121K your looking at shot ball joints, springs, shocks, seals, bearings, and U-joints. Plus you just don't know how well it was maintained, how often was the gear oil changed in the front & rear diff's, transfer case, transmission, or engine. Are they highway miles, stop & go street miles, off road miles.....?
    A used 2008 Sahara at another lot with 35K is going for $22,900.00, at that price I can get a brand new basic sport model with the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty......

It's no surprise the same thing is happening with good quality American made revolvers, and I can only imagine if Colt was still making the Python, it would probably MSRP at close to a grand if not over it......
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yep my eyes water every time I set out to buy one. I have been in the market for a 629 but me thinks that I may have to go another direction since it will be for plinking at the range only. They sure are sexy guns, but $700-$800 is very difficult to justify.
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

In todays money I don't think it is hard to justify if one can afford it, because it will almost never loose its value if taken care of. I am not suggesting a gun is a good investment to make money, because in my opinion for the average consumer they are not. On the other hand I do not know of many things that one can buy and use for ten years and then sell it for what he paid or at even a small profit like you can a quality gun.

Ron
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Ahhh muddober you have such a way with words. Depreciation with our hobby is almost zero, you're right! Now I just need your pep talks about once a month......:)
  5. fritz

fritz New Member

I bought a Smith & Wesson model 329 Airlight 44 mag. with a 4" barrel today, cost me $950. Got a great deal on it, good depenable guns are going to cost you good money, which i have no problem paying. Why go cheap if it is something you are going to use as proection? How much is your life worth? I personally would hate to know my life depended on wether my cheap, junk gun was going to fire or jam in the time of need. JMO.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with what's been already said above and aslo agree that if you pay the $'s and take good care of them, your not going to lose any money on them down the road, like what Ron was saying...heck, what can you buy these days that you can turn around years later and re-sale for what you have in it, if not more?
    IMO, you buy one, your getting a good gun and if taken care of, your not going to lose any money on it. I think it is like an investment....sorta the way I look at it to justify my spending...:D
  7. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

The cost of a good revolver jumped, and of course thats about the time I wanted a good .357. Watched the gun shows and to my surprise I bought a new 686 off a dealer cheaper than a used gun at any of the shows. Prices are still up on the used stuff in S&W revolvers. They are pricey little buggers.
  8. henry77

henry77 New Member

I have bought a used Model 28 lately and it looks new. Very happy at the price.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Fritz, I do understand where you are coming from, but I don't think there is much to worry about with a revolver. They are just dirt simple. An auto on the other hand is a whole different story. You can get away with a cheaper revolver, but not with an auto loader. Still $800 for a used revolver is just a little to high!
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

for 950 you could of bought a charter arms with a 4inch barrel in 44 special and had 600 left over for ammo or a second gun plus 250 for ammo. sure they aren't smiths but they work or you could of looked at a taurus tracker or model 44 and saved 500 bucks. lots of options if you shop around. now this i will grant you, with a smith and wesson if you plan on keeping it for a while with prices being as they are you'll never lose the money you would on a taurus or charter....
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    ..........., and that is why I will probably buy the Charter!
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i own 2 charter arms in 44 one a older "target bulldog" and it's baby brother and both have served me well over the years. i've heard charter arms had quality issues but that is behind them from what i gather. when i carried the littler one it was always with winchester silver tips and i never felt undergunned. to date the guns have well over 5000 rounds thru them and i've never had them fail me. also a sleeper in the 44 special world was the rossi model 720 ( i think ) 3 inch barrel adjustable sights with a non-bobbed hammer. in stainless steel.if you can find one of those used give it a good look see, you'll be surprised at it's quality . wish i still had mine it was a good one.....
  13. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I recently replaced a S&W 629 Classic that I sold years ago and just about passed out when I saw the final price. Myself, I think I will stay with the "tupperware" guns from now on. LOL At least you can get a good deal on those for right now. I got the M&P 40 full sized for $449.99, and at those prices you can get two for the price of one steel gun.
  14. fritz

fritz New Member

Just my opinion, you couldnt run me down and give me a Charter arms or a Taurus. I have personaly seen a Charter arms Bulldog blow up from shooting some mild reloads, grant it , it was an older one, but that image is still in my head everytime i hear Charter Arms. My boss has a 4" barrel Tracker, i am not impressed with it , it is excessivly loud due to the mag na porting, and isnt much on the accuracy department. I perfer to spend my money with a proven American company. I could care less if you had two identical pistols and one was made in Brazil and was $200 and the other was made in America and was $2000, i would buy the American one that is built by Americans, who have families and actually pay taxes here that support our economy, i do not beleive in investing my hard earned money in a foriegn company, that employs people that cant even spell firearm much less build one.