The Desert Eagle .50 isn't a pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by kravi, Mar 18, 2004.

1. kravi

kravi New Member

So yesterday I stopped by my range (read "private club") and decided to mess around a little. So I tried [renting and] shooting a .44 Magnum revolver (lots of fun). Had some kick (but a built in compensator) and was incredibly accurate. Now I'm used t o shooting the .45 ACP, so I was pleasantly surprised by the increased kick, but not shocked.

Then the guy at the range offered me his personal Desert Eagle .50 Cal. Fun, I thought. I anticipated a bit of a shock, but I knew that it was a semi-auto, so I figured the kick wouldn't be much worse than the .44 Magnum.... And anyway, I know that IMI makes a lot of quality gear (I'm Israeli though, and a little biased), so I figured that it would be good fun.

The first shot, at 30', hit dead center. I mean, smack dab in the middle of the $&@%ing x-ring, the shell casing flew past my head, and I was nearly brained by the recoil. That weapon is not a pistol, it is a canon mounted on an overly-large pistol grip.

My point, however, is that I am not a small man. I'm in good shape, strong wrists (lots of exercise, etc), didn't have a problem with the weight. I have small hands (nothing I can do about that), but I couldn't control the pistol. If I went for accuracy I'd risk maiming myself.

How, and this whole post leads up to this, does anyone ever expect to use this as a combat gun? Isn't that what it was designed for? I can't imagine very many officers being powerful enough to shoot this weapon properly. I found myself flinching (and the .44 mag and the .45 ACP don't make me flinch at all), and I'm pretty strong. So what is the point of this pistol?

-Kravi

P.S. Sorry this message just sort of runs on. I had an... interesting St. Patrick's day :)
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Who knows? Maybe they figure if you can shoot them in the leg with a bullet with that much power, it'll do just as good...

What kind of .44 did you shoot?

Country101
  3. kravi

kravi New Member

It was a S&W, but sadly I don't remember the exact flavour. Of course, after shooting it, I walked around saying "Make my day" for a couple of hours...

-Kravi
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Not sure the Eagle was really supposed to be for Combat - I always thought of it as a auto-lovers hunting gun.
  5. kravi

kravi New Member

Naw. If it was made by IMI it would have to be for combat. They don't really produce "sporting" weapons. Though if it generated a big profit, I guess they probably would :)

Their job is to create great combat weapons, and sell a lot of them to foreign governments to help defray production/R&D costs...

Of course, don't quote me on this :)

-Kravi
  6. RELTOR

RELTOR New Member

Who ever heard of 50ae surplus? These guns were made, because consumers would buy them. Think about this the 357mag was rejected by many police departments in the sixties and seventies due to it's recoil and muzzle flash at night. The desert eagles were designed by american mechanical engineers to be overly engineered. I'm not saying they are not well made and accurate, they are just too damn big and heavy for any serious use. The make the the HK mk23 seem small.

Here is an excerpt from what seems like the DE webpage? (they can't spell so well either) http://www.zvis.com/dep/dephist.shtml

It was a year of 1979, when in Minneapolis, USA - Magnum Research Inc. was founded :) There were 3 people in the begining. Three very determined persons, and their objective was very clear, to develop an entirely new semi auto handgun around the very popular .357 magnum revolver cartridge. Working name of the project "Magnum Eagle". "Fathers" of the gun are J. Lindig, J. Skildam and H. Z. Skildam, founders of the company, also B. White - technological details and development. Originally gun was designed for target, silhouette shooting and hunting.

The first working prototype was ready by 1981, however problems with cycling/feeding made MRI to look for outsiders help. Such help was soon found - IMI(Isreaeli Military Industry). So in 1983 the first Desert Eagle was produced & sold, chambered for .357 magnum. Later the much more powerful .44 magnum DE was produced, by 1987 the .41 Mag round appeared, unfortunately this promicing round later was abandoned. In 1991 desert eagle was introduced in very mighty .50 Action Express caliber, designed by Evan Wilding, rebated case, base .44 magnum, which made very easy to interchange barrels between .44 .50 AE calibers. Finally the latest but hopefully not the last .440 Cor-Bon (Cor-Bon round, necked down .50 AE, for more info about this round read in .50 AE vs. .440 Cor-Bon) was produced in 1998.
  7. kravi

kravi New Member

Good post. Thanks for the info.

I'm glad, at least, that it originally didn't have a "military" application. I can imagine all of those poor junior officers trying to shoot them.

My friend, who is a professional gunsmith for the IDF told me this morning that he's only seen two of them being worn by anyone. Ever.

They do scare me. I've seen the muzzle flash during the day and it is a good 22 cm in length. A friend of mine (an ex-US Marine) told me that at night one gets a "several" foot muzzle flash... He too owns one.

-Kravi
  8. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Same point as climbing a mountain...Just because.

ISB
  9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yup!...Jest a matter a'time here...;)
  10. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

ROFL, ahh yes times are lonely
  11. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  12. mojo45

mojo45 New Member

JUST LOVE THE BARREL!!!
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Re: Re: The Desert Eagle .50 isn't a pistol

LOL, Somehow, I knew that was comming...Er, I dont think I'm helping much.

I'll hush now.

:p
  14. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I think the .44 S&W you shot at the indoor range was not loaded with full power .44 rounds. I used to work, then was part owner of an indoor range, and when we rented out the .44 we had, it was loaded with reduced .44 rounds. The .44, loaded with full power rounds, has a much bigger kick than the .45acp.

The Desert Eagle .44 will have less kick than that S&W .44, but will have a louder "boom." I never tried the .50, and I have no need to. Yep, those DEs are big, and hard to handle if you got small hands. I'm 6'5" and my hand feels small to the DEs.
  15. kravi

kravi New Member

Why do you think I spend so much time online?

<whistling away at the wind>

Would I be even more out of order if I said that it was just too big for me?

Silencer: I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The S&W definately had more kick than the .45 ACP. I just felt that it was comfortable and manageable. I had fun shooting it. Strong wrists, remember... :rolleyes:

It was definately the .44 Magnum. And a lot of fun.

I should really be more careful with what I write, shouldn't I !?

-Kravi
  16. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

It wouldn't be my first, second, third or even fourth choice for a combat handgun but it beats a sharp stick, right? :)

If I had one it'd be for the 'fun factor', much like my reason for getting a Raging Bull in .500 Magnum. It serves no useful practical purpose for me but I just wanted one, and so I got it. If I ever got a DE in .50AE it'd be for the same reason.

I'd rather not go into combat with just a handgun but hypothetically, if that's all I had at the time, I'd prefer something along the lines of the Taurus 608, 8 shot .357 or a reliable pistol with hicaps I.E. Beretta 92FS/Taurus PT92, Springfield XD .45, Glock 17, 21, 22, Ruger P95 or one of the many other flavors available.
  17. travihanson

travihanson New Member

BAH, Desert Eagle's are a fine weapon.....If you want to use it for a club. All of the Eagle's I have shot.....357, .44, and .50 have been inaccurate, hard trigger pull, and just heavy. Not a big fan, owned a couple of them for resale purposes only.
  18. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

Regardless of your notes on the Eagle, I shall own one ere long. Ah, my love, My petite little peashooter, How I shall cherish you. You are my BBW(Big Beautiful Weapon). We shall walk together in the moonlight, and our love shall last forever.

LOL, actually I blew my D. Eagle savings on a Star PD .45.-Char
  19. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Smart thinking on the PD....Just because you used the D eagle money :), J/K, but you should try one before you buy it....You will regret it...