1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

The downfall of Math in the US....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Oct 13, 2005.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Sometimes, the truth hurts.......

The Downfall of Math

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this? It's because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s; i.e.,

Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
    4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
    4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2005

Un hachero vende una carretada de madera para $100. El costo de la producción es $80.

Pretty sad....

mike
    gn
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

A child from todays Math classes is not taught simple Math by practice of the addition, subtraction, multiplication, division tables tables but by the names assigned to the processes by scholars. Consequently the young lady could probably tell you the entire theory of Math but probably never did that many problems with real number manipulations. This is the plan of the scholarly highly and smart education management teams that set forth the Math ciriculum for our public schools. They forget that not all students (in fact most students) need lots of practice with the numbers to become proficient using them. Knowing how to do it is not enough. You must have lots of real practice so that it is done by shear memory, not by analysis of the processes.

This goes to the problem that smart people have no idea how to teach average people because they can not relate to to the process of learning the average person must do to learn. They are so smart that everything learned is easy so they like to expand the horizons of their knowledge (and their captive students) with worthless knowledge of the therory of the process (learning the names). DUMB!

LDBennett
  3. danurve

danurve New Member

Well I guess i don't have to worry about my daughter working at BurgerKing. She takes this advanced Math jazz, and the report cards indicate she's averaging in the high 80's & 90's. I took a look at some of her homework once and thought, 'when did they start putting Letters in math.?
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

This commentary is accurate for both Math and Science. Americans presently place no value on the hard sciences or math - "go get an MBA, son, you'll be a millionaire!"

As such, the technology gap, driven by knowledge, is going to get larger and larger as other countries continue to place higher value on these subjects. Visit any large university science, engineering, or math classroom - the "diversity" is unbelievable, and mostly oriental and occidental asians.

This is being written by a degreed Physicist / Mechanical Engineer. As my company continues to recruit new college talent, we are focusing on diverse hires - because that is where the talent is.... I don't need Americans with BBA's and degrees in Family Planning, I need anyone who has a good engineering degree with some out of school hands on expirience.

Gotta fix this quick!
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Today's mathmatical ignorance started back in World War II, when I was in school. It really got it's kick in the fanny, though, with the failed program tried for many years, more than a decade, "NEW MATH"!!! My eldest son and daughter and the middle daughter were exposed to this travesty.

The eldest still cannot add 2 and 2 without a calculator. The eldest daughter had a lot of tutoring from her grandfather, a physics expert who believed in the basic 3-R's, and is able to count change back with the best and without the new fangled cash registers.

The rest of the children are, for all intents and purposes, totally ignorant of simple addition or multiplication. I have to bite my tongue whenever and each time I see that ignorance in action. I tried with alaflyguy and made a little progress, but it doesn't always come to the surface.

sA basic problem with our Republic today is that we are raising ignorant children, who have no idea what a good education is.....