The Election

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gunfyter, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Election determines fate of nation

Published in the Daily Record on Oct. 6

By Mathew Manweller

Due to the high demand for this column, the Daily Record has decided to post it online. It is normally not the paper's policy to post opinion columns or editorials online. This column will remain on the site until Oct. 27. Should you want to purchase a print copy of it, please call (509) 925-1414. The opinions stated on this page do not reflect the opinions held by the Daily Record. This content is owned by the Daily Record.

In that this will be my last column before the presidential election, there will be no sarcasm, no attempts at witty repartee. The topic is too serious, and the stakes are too high.

This November we will vote in the only election during our lifetime that will truly matter. Because America is at a once-in-a-generation crossroads, more than an election hangs in the balance. Down one path lies retreat, abdication and a reign of ambivalence.

Down the other lies a nation that is aware of it's past and accepts the daunting obligation its future demands. If we choose poorly, the consequences will echo through the next 50 years of history. If we, in a spasm of frustration, turn out the current occupant of the White House, the message to the world and ourselves will be two-fold. First, we will reject the notion that America can do big things. Once a nation that tamed a frontier, stood down the Nazis and stood upon the moon, we will announce to the world that bringing democracy to the Middle East is too big of a task for us. But more significantly, we will signal to future presidents that as voters, we are unwilling to tackle difficult challenges, preferring caution to boldness, embracing the mediocrity that has characterized other civilizations.

The defeat of President Bush will send a chilling message to future presidents who may need to make difficult, yet unpopular decisions. America has always been a nation that rises to the demands of history regardless of the costs or appeal. If we turn away from that legacy, we turn away from whom we are.

Second, we inform every terrorist organization on the globe that the lesson of Somalia was well-learned. In Somalia we showed terrorists that you don't need to defeat America on the battlefield when you can defeat them in the newsroom. They learned that a wounded America can become a defeated America. Twenty-four-hour news stations and daily tracing polls will do the heavy lifting, turning a cut into a fatal blow. Except that Iraq is Somalia times 10. The election of John Kerry will serve notice to every terrorist in every cave that the soft underbelly of American power is the timidity of American voters. Terrorists will know that a steady stream of grisly photos for CNN is all you need to break the will of the American people. Our own self-doubt will take it from there. Bin Laden will recognize that he can topple any American administration without setting foot on the homeland.

It is said that America's W.W.II generation is its 'greatest generation'. But my greatest fear is that it will become known as America's 'last generation.' Born in the bleakness of the Great depression and hardened in the fire of W.W. II, they may be the last American generation that understands the meaning of duty, honor and sacrifice. It is difficult to admit, but I know these terms are spoken with only hollow detachment by many (but not all) in my generation. Too many citizens today mistake 'living in America' as 'being an American.' But America has always been more of an idea than a place. When you sign on, you do more than buy real estate. You accept a set of values and responsibilities.

This November, my generation, which has been absent too long, must grasp the obligation that comes with being an American, or fade into the oblivion they may deserve. I believe that 100 years from now historians will look back at the election of 2004 and see it as the decisive election of our century. Depending on the outcome, they will describe it as the moment America joined the ranks of ordinary nations; or they will describe it as the moment the prodigal sons and daughters of the greatest generation accepted their burden as caretakers of the City on the Hill."

Mathew Manweller is a Central Washington University political science professor.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Excellent, but sobering.
  3. jsmarriner

jsmarriner New Member

WOW thats a great article. Its a shame that any liberal who reads it will call it propaganda and not take it seriously.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Superb comments.

Too bad that those who should heed it most have a closed ear/eye to anything.
  5. Glocker

Glocker New Member

Personally, I don't believe an election is going to determine our fate.
  6. dge479

dge479 New Member

My personal belief is there are very long reaching effects of the next election. The next term will more than likely see some Supreme Court judges. I think it would be bad for the 2nd ammendment , as well as the 1st for the nation .
    I have no reason to believe that the Weasel would not appoint the most left leaning judges possible. Plan on firearm and ammo taxes , Kerry supports the idea. Why stop there , just ban them. maybe he can appoint some people to power, like Pelosi or Daschal or the drunk from Mass.
    This is a very big election, there is alot at stake.
  7. offeror

offeror New Member

There used to be a name for the U.S. when our leaders were not standing up to aggression -- "paper tiger." In other words we could be counted on NOT to defend ourselves properly or take action in the world when called upon, so we were a paper tiger. Democrats were usually responsible for this condition. Throughout our history, our "paper tiger" periods are when we TRULY got no respect, and foreign interests took global advantage of it -- everyone agrees on that bit of history regardless of what they think about the current state of affairs.

The idea that the world does not respect us now, with Bush avenging 9/11, is pure political posturing. They respect us more, they just like us less at the moment.

Thinking Democrats know this on some level, but they would never say it because it's an election year, and besides, their party is the home of anti-war activist groups, the ones that do all the marching for "peace." I do not want Kerry to win partly because I believe he WILL happily convert us back into a paper tiger ASAP. In fact, as I hear him talk about negotiation and being a better ally and going hat in hand to the U.N. and normalizing things here at home (for more gun control), he is actually promising to put the paper back in our tiger, and would do so proudly.