The Electoral College...Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Rhuga, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Why should we vote for President, when it is the Electoral College that has the final say. A candidate can win the Presidency with the Electoral College and not have the popular vote.
    I have participated in the local elections and I have seen how the folks that vote in the Electoral College in the Local Election and use their own vote and private agenda to pick who should run for President no matter what the voters say for that Party.

We should get rid of the Electoral College! It seems like a big conspiracy!
  2. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Worked for over 200 years.
  3. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

The electorics are part of the original US Constitution and as such is not a big conspiracy. It would take an Amendment to the Constitution to get rid of the electorics. Just in case you've had your head in the sand all your life, the USA is "not" and never has been a true democracy.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

not sure the EC is working the way it was intended, but it is better than letting the majority of our population choose...

i kind of like the idea that they originally had where you had to be a property owner to vote... maybe for today if you don't pay taxes you can't vote!
  5. cutter

cutter New Member

I like that idea!! No way will people on the gravey train vote to get off of it. No skin in the game they don't care.
  6. rcairflr

Here's why the 47% who don't pay taxes shouldn't vote.
  7. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

LMFAO...I don't do that much anymore..funny.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The members of the Electorial College are required by law to vote their first vote as their electorate commands them. From then on, should there not be a decision, they are free to wheel and deal.

Pops
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

One has to ponder the 'what ifs' in this process.

Would we be a nation of users as we are today?
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Personally, I think we would have reached the "running out of other people's money" sooner, had we been organized from the beginning as a "pure" democracy. Just take a look at what the Puritans learned about commune-ism, and it took them only a year. "Pure" democracy always devolves into commune-ism. From there to tyranny.

Pops
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

My wife had an economics professor who said frequently that a democracy will inevitably turn into a kleptocracy. The political class will steal dramatically from the masses, and return just enough of it to just enough of them to maintain power.

If we're not there yet, we're sure getting close. :mad::mad:
  12. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Changing how the electoral college votes, with a constitutional amendment, or not, is like rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic.

We're done folks, done. The cake is baked.
  13. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

If you get rid of the electoral college small states will have zero say in a presidential election.
    The president will be elected by Heavily populated states such as California and New York. This bozo we have now is the worst ever, could you imagine what would happen if those very liberal elitist idiots had their way and we got one like this every 8 years. Put it this way without the electoral college we would have had a run of clinton, gore, and then obama. Think about what we would look like if that had happened. I was no Bush lover either he did a lot of dumb things but man gore would have had us neutered long before and then throw obama on top of that.
  14. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    It would be good if it worked. As designed, the idea was that local folks would get together and select someone they thought had sense enough to help select the president. There was no concept that the average person would know enough about the people who might be candidates, or even what the issues really were. (And, at least since Walter Cronkite retired, I'm pretty sure that's still true, even with the advent of mass media.) Instead, at least in Virginia, we don't even know who our electors are. I was thinking of trying to run for the office of elector, and then filing suit in Federal District Court when they tell me I can't. The party officials select the electors, who never even really get to voice their individual votes, and the people vote for the presidential candidate they like. (I still think Trump has the most interesting hair.) Whichever candidate wins, all his electoral votes go to his election automatically. If it's going to be a popular election (the main reason we've had so many really bad presidents beginning with Lincoln, in my opinion), why bother with state by state tabulation at all, much less an electoral college? Being a Constitutional Fundamentalist, though, I'd really prefer to see the electoral college do its job. It is not a democratic institution, and it is not designed to be. The average WalMart shopper is not competent to choose his president, never had been, nor will he ever be. Anyone who can stir up the masses with hogwash speeches or undefined, vague promises of "change" can be president. We should be picking the wisest and most knowledgeable people we can find to pick the president for us.
  15. rcairflr

So I'd like to know who these "wisest" people are and who is going to decide that they are the wisest? Also at the end of the day (or the end of the election), what does it matter who votes, since the ones we are voting for are almost never the right people for the job anyway.

It seems like every election, we are voting for the lesser of two evils.

Oh well, I guess we can just hope for some more "hope and change".