1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

The Family Car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lead, Feb 5, 2006.

1. lead

lead Well-Known Member

All the talk about memories of the past that's been generated by the Winchester and Colt news made me think about my other favorite toys, cars.
    For me, I grew up in a house were we always drove around in a Rambler station wagon. Yes, a Rambler!
    My dad had an old Coast Guard buddy who went to work for a Rambler dealer after he got out, so that's what Dad always bought. We would take family trips in those things, driving from the Jersey Shore, to Minnesota, where my aunt and uncle lived.
    We even had one of the models with the push button transmission :eek: .
    Anyone else have fond memories of the old family vehicle?
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Dad went over to the assembly plant in LA and bought a '49 Plymouth station wagon in late Summer of '48. We put 250,000 miles on that car and I gave it to his brother when Dad died. Uncle M. put another 50,000 on it and gave it to his youngest son, who put another 25,000 on it while attending UCLA.

In '68, I was down there and my Uncle took me to a junk yard nearby. There was that old Plymouth, sitting in the yard with the engine running! They were using it as a parts runner. They would start it in the morning and shut it off when closing up for the night. It never had the heads nor the pan removed. We put in three clutches and Uncle M. put in two.

Wish I had it today.

Pops
  3. AGB

AGB New Member

I learned to drive in an old car my father owned, a DKW vemaguet, 64. It was wrecked in 1975, he sold the parts to a fellow who fixed it. Later in 1980 I still could take her for a spin. But did not got her back. Later in 1982 got my first car, a Brasilian built Dodge Dart, like any U.S. built 1969 dart. Have it till today. Guess I'llnever sell this car. And although I love to drive my today's car, a 1994 2500 V10 2 wd Ram, I like to take the old Dart for a ride from times to times. Still feels great after so many years.
  4. I don't think I will ever forget the first car I ever had, a 1954 Chevrolet 6 cylinder in-line with the shift on the column. I even remember the color, a sort of "vulture vomit" green, as I recall. :rolleyes: I put 50,000 miles on that car driving back and forth to school. When it finally gave out, it had almost 150,000 miles on it.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I learned to drive a Farmall H tractor and an old '38 Buick Special, long handled shift on the floor. Standard ole transmission for the time. I was about 7 or 8 years old.

My first vehicle, other than the family vehicle, which was a Chrysler New Yorker 4-door sedan the first year of their V-8 engine with an enormous amount of torque, was a '28 Hupmobile Phaethon 4-door convertible with a straight 8 engine and the first year for them, an electric starter. If it didn't catch on the first try, the battery was drained and there was no second chance. So - - You dig out the crank. It usually started on the first or second pull. Rue the day, however, when it backfired after several tries and my getting angry and spinning the crank the full 360° still in my hand. Broken arm time!

At about the same time I had, and truly wish I still had, a '30 Model A roadster with the rumble seat. It was my favorite or favorites.....

First drove over 100 in the big Chrysler New Yorker. We had a trooper in my home town that would close off a back road with a long straight stretch and let the kids do 0-60 and high speed runs supervised on Sunday afternoons. That lasted a couple years until he was transferred to another post. I was just 16 by that time!!
  6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

First car I remember was a '57 Chevy station wagon. yellow on white. Then a '61 Chevy wagon. Dad worked for Fisher body in FLint, Mi. I remember drawing straws w/ 4 brothers to decide who would sit in the rear seat w/ the beagles, when we went to Grandma's. Dad would splash Aqua Velva on the huntin' dogs for the 2-1/2 hr. ride. Can you say CARSICK?!! LOL
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

'61 Ghia - Karmen, that is.... Swapped engines by dropping it the old one out on a spare tire and lifting the car off of it. The family had a Volkswagon of some sort in the driveway from my birth through about age 22 or so. Ghias, Bugs, Vans. Never a Thing, tho' - although I'd like one one day.
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

First family car I remember was a '54 Buick Special, got a brand new Century 4 dr hdtop in 55 and drove that forever it seems like.

Helped my Dad overhaul the engine & tranny at 90,000 miles and kept driving it.

My first car was a '52 Ford 2 dr. sedan with a Flathead V8 in it & 3 onna tree. Thot I really had me a hotrod! Graduated to '55 Chevvies after that.