1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

The "FBI gun"

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

rhinoman
    (12/19/02 7:32:04 pm)
    Reply The "FBI gun"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I currently own a Glock 30 and would like to add to my one-gun collection. I'd like to purchase a 1911 in.45cal. I'm thinking of the Springfield Armory Professional (the "FBI gun"). Since they managed to beat out all the competition for that contract they must be (arguably) the best. Opinions/experiences appreciated.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/19/02 7:47:35 pm)
    Re: The "FBI gun"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are a bunch of makers that sell top notch .45's. Kimber is a favorite of many and become more popular all the time. Then there is Wilson and Colt to name a few.

Welcome to TFF
    In 49 states ignorance is a crime. In the other one it is bliss.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/19/02 11:53:00 pm)
    Depends on your price range...for the money the AFBI job costs I am with piggy...get a Kimber (Oregon for my tastes)...you won't be disappointed. Wilsons are very cool to...but more expensive. In the regular price market...Springfield rules.
    "A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"

Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/20/02 8:06:12 am)
    Reply Re: The "FBI gun"
    Both Kimber and Springfield make an excellent 1911.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/20/02 10:52:08 am)
    I don't see what it is about that SA "Professional" that makes it a $2400 gun.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/20/02 2:57:15 pm)
    Me either X'er. I would not personally spen $2400 on a prebuilt anything iun .45ACP.

That being said...If I were, hypothetically, going to spend $2400, it WOULD say Wilson on it.

I'd rather have 2 really cool Kimbers!

"A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"

jimmar
    (12/20/02 5:46:35 pm)
    It seems everyone agrees the Kimbers and Wilsons are well worth the money but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Les Baer customs? They sure are nice looking.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/20/02 5:56:31 pm)
    I have never seen a better built production 45 than a Les Baer. I rank it up there with Wilson and if you look at the money it is head and shoulders above Wilson.

The comment else where on Oregon Kimbers. Unless I'm mistaken, they are now all made in Yonkers NY.

Smoky

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/21/02 11:08:54 am)
    Yes, they are all now made in Yonkers...but the Oregon ones are out there, for sale, and are more to MY liking...which is what I said.

You like Les Bear...I like Wilson...and so it goes.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/21/02 11:42:49 am)
    Boomer: I have a Kimber from Oregon and I agree with you. They seem to be really careful on the first run and I got in on the ground floor

As for Wilson vs Les Baer....it's a price thing

Smoky the cheap

rhinoman
    (12/21/02 1:26:04 pm)
    Anything less than $3000 is within my price range.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/22/02 10:41:06 am)
    rhinoman,
    I guess the purpose for the gun would be important at that price range. Are you wanting a race gun, combat gun, show piece...what?

At that price range almost anything goes. I would certainly look at Les Baers, Wilson Combats, Ed Browns, and the Cylinder and Slide Pre customized models. Or, get you a good Base gun and send it to C&S and tell them what you want. With those $$...you have many options.

Or heck, you could just buy me a Springfield Mil Sec Gov't model for Christmas, and still get a really nice Kimber!!!!!

I just think the SA "Professional" is overpriced hype. I say this owning a couple of SA pistols...there is better stuff for the money out there.

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

rhinoman
    (12/23/02 1:11:34 pm)
    Reply "Fun Gun"
    Sorry, I should have made it clear, the 1911 is a "battle gun" for me. I just want it for shooting but it should function as a battle gun. I have no money for "specialty guns". For me it's all about function. The gun should be reliable (totally) and acurate. My carry gun (the Glock 30) is more acurate than I am!
    As for that Springfield, if you've been a good boy SANTA will bring you one. Of course he checks his list twice...Have you been naughty?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/23/02 2:26:53 pm)
    Re: "Fun Gun"
    I brought my Colt's to FBI specs over 5-years ago, only
    I don't care for or need a beavertail grip safety, don't
    need to get it hooked or hung up on anything either,
    and I shoot just fine with the standard one.

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/23/02 3:31:01 pm)
    Reply Re: "Fun Gun"
    Les Baer builds THE tightest 1911 on the market. If you intend to carry the 1911for protection, I'd recommend the Wilson or Kimber for reliability.

jimmar
    (12/23/02 5:05:30 pm)
    I've been seriously looking at that Les Baer PremierII for a couple of months now..... a lot of money but how does the saying go? "whoever dies with the most toys wins"... wait a minute, if thats the case I think Bob's got us all beat....

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/23/02 5:13:34 pm)
    The L.B. Premier II is a great pistol. Built tight and very accurate. The one I shot was new and it was all I could do to retract the slide. Now, that's tight.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/23/02 8:33:55 pm)
    Re: "Fun Gun"
    1. Yes...I have been very good!

2. I say Kimber Oregon, Kimber Oregon, Kimber Oregon if you are to carry ti around.

3. If you buy the Kimber, there will be plenty of money left to get me a SA Mil SPec and I'll be your Loyal Friend forever!!!!

4. If I get elected, I'll let you be in my cabinet...gun cabinet!!!

Important Info For ALL Americans
    "A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!" Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/24/02 7:53:48 am)
    Hey rhinoman -

Snce your basic statement was
    Quote:
    I'd like to purchase a 1911 in.45cal.

and you're only "thinking of the Springfield Armory Professional (the "FBI gun")"., I would recommend you not overlook the new Dan Wesson semi's on the market.

Regards

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/24/02 9:49:55 am)
    Wesson Patriot = $800.

SA "Professional" = $2400.

I wouldn't buy three, though!!!

Important Info For ALL Americans
    "A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!" Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

fxrhm
    (12/27/02 1:00:53 am)
    Reply The"FBI" Gun
    Kimbers. Les Baer, Wilson's, it really boils down to $'s, IMHO. Personally, I like Colt Gold Cups.

outlawraven
    (1/19/03 1:00:24 am)
    Reply yeah
    couldent agree w/ ya more there bud the gold cups rule!!

WhiteRyeno
    (1/19/03 7:46:38 pm)
    Reply Take a hard look at baers.
    You might want to have a look at sone Les Baers. I have recently purchased a Baer Thunder Ranch and a stainless Baer Stinger, and I couldn't be happier. While they are pricey, I think that they offer every bit of the quality of Wilsons for much less $$.

gregszx2
    (1/26/03 10:20:16 pm)
    Reply Re: Take a hard look at baers.
    I just found this site by accident, I sometimes haunt one of the other 1911 forums. If 3 grand is your limit, about any 1911 is within your budget. Ive read and seen how well all the above weapons perform, and other then the ocassional lemon that everyone sees, they all make great guns. If your looking for a more battle ready firearm then a paper puncher then you might look at Colt. They are back in the game at making some great 1911's. They arent the tightest, but reliability and accuracy are balanced well. Too tight a gun and you battle break in period and then some before its reliable. Too sloopy, and you might as well throw rocks at the bad guy. Look at the gunsite pistol they have out. I own 2 Colts and a Kimber, the Colts being series 80's and the Kimber, a series II. The Kimber is tighter, and has edged out the Colt in accuracy, but, I havent really messed with the Colt, I got it used, and it needs some minor maintanence. Ask yourself this, what will the TRP do that the Kimbers, other Springfields, and the Colts wont do? Spend less on oen gun and get a pair of them!
    When this baby hits 88 MPH, your gonna see some serious $&%*

jp58c
    (2/16/03 3:16:00 pm)
    Reply Re: The"FBI" Gun

R.I.P. Detonics
    Any one like Safari Arms Enforcers,ie ..Olympic?
    Have carried an A.M.T. Hardballer for close to 12yrs
    mods done Hogue grips,full length guide rod,commander hammer/beaver tail,mag funnel ,sadly they too are now defunct.
    SEMPER FI
    GLAD TO BE HERE

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/17/03 8:57:53 am)
    Reply Re: The"FBI" Gun
    ....and happy to have you here, jp58c. Welcome to TFF.

If the basic design is right (as it is with the 1911) and the materials and build quality are there, you really can't go wrong with any quality brand.

Colt, Kimber, SA, Wilson, Baer.....all excellent weapons.

c4kaboom
    (2/17/03 11:59:01 am)
    Reply TRS
    A Les Baer, Thunder Ranch Special is a very fine gun and less expensive than a majority of Wilsons' guns. No MIM in them either. Can't se spending $2,400 on a Springfield, no way. Are they still made-built in Brazil? Even the real Expensive ones?

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/17/03 12:19:03 pm)
    Reply Re: TRS
    Springfield upper end pistols have parts made in Brazil, then fitted and assembled in the USA.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2003