The full scoop on re-loading....?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Tony Mig, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

A tumbler is very handy and there are some very good inexpensive items available that do the job well.

It certainly is easier in the long run and I would almost say a necessity if you are going to reload all your ammo. One can get set up with a tumbler and other convenient items to go with for around $100.00 if you shop carefully.
  2. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

I remember the days of hand cleaning. I sho do like my tumbler and case/media seperator!
  3. Marlin

Cabela's has a small tumbler with a sifter and starter box of corn cob media and bottle of brass polish included for $57.99 plus tax and S&H, Tony. You might check it out.

Cabela's Tumbler Kit

Lyman also has a fine small tumbler, the 1200 Pro, in the range of $52.99 plus t,S&H, and a sifter can be had for little of nothing.

Where there's a will, there's a way!
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Bomba, I totally agree with you, additionally if reloading isan't something that Tony just falls in love with, then he has saved money by not making another purchase...I just wanted to voice my opinion that for the amount of money spent, you cant go wrong.

Interesting idea on the hoppies #9...The only "homegrown supplement" I've made to my media so far was some dried out, crusty, brasso and on another occasion I used a little turtle wax, with "okay" results.

I'd love to hear some more ideas for media extras, if anyone has any more to share.

~Crpdeth
  5. Marlin

Cabela also has a rotary media separator for $17.99 plus t, s&h.

This unit is very nice, too, and is a time saver. With both the items mentioned you should be able to get your cases ready for reload quickly and without any fanfare.

Media Separator
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Brasso DOES weaken the case. This was tested in military armories during WWI and again during WWII. There are cleaners out there which are safe and not terribly expensive and Hoppe's No9 doesn't have enough amonia to be significant. Personally, I use a homebuild tumbler built on the model of the lapidary tumbler. There are also plans around for a homebuilt vibratory tumbler. One of either type is well worth the money, AFTER deciding to stay with the hobby.

That will be $0.02, please. Cash only.

Pops
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys, I do appriciate every word of it. As yet, I haven't gotten any of the manuals, but I will pick at least one of them up on my next trip to the gun shop. I've been trolling through the goods at Midway.com, and so far the most attractive kit...(offering the most for the least)..is this Lee Anniversary kit. Lee want's $109.00 for it, but Midway has them for $65.99, and like I said before, it comes with everything except the dies, and the tumbler. I may go ahead and order it, then read the manual that comes with it before investing in powder, primers and bullets.

I did sign up to try and win a complete Dillion outfit, now that would be cool, it comes with a tumbler and electronic scale....
  8. frosty

frosty New Member

Tony,

You are doing just fine.

Start small.

Build your experience.

Don't be afraid to do it.

I was in the same position you are in back in February of this year.

I never looked back. Its just too fun to be legal!
  9. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Tony...I started out with that Lee kit more years ago than I care to admit. It has everything you need. I bought it from Midway too and the price was around $50.00 at the time. Inflation is rearing its ugly head.

swede