The Future of Firearm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WaterBleu, Apr 5, 2009.

1. WaterBleu

WaterBleu New Member

First of all I'm not sure if I post in the right section. If I posted at the wrong section please move this post to the corresponding thread.

Back to the business. For my assignment I'm to do research on the future of the firearm. But after searching on google for a good hour and half. I'm not sure what it the lastest firearm that's out there. and What the firearm development team has in mind for the future firearm. So I was hoping I could get some information from you guys.

Articals/reference like the latest gun that was introduced, or latest future model they have.

Thanks in advance.
  2. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

Do a keyword search for "metalstorm" and "cornershot".
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

That is a very interesting topic, but it could go a lot of different directions.

You could take it as the future of the firearm politically. How might laws and social perception continue to evolve?

You could also take it to be a technical question about how ammunition and operating systems will evolve. This can be broken up further depending on whether you're speaking of military weapons (sniper rifle, carbine, PDW... I think PDWs are going to be big in the near future), civilian weapons (CCW, home defense, sporting).

The suggestions above my post are good ones. You could also look into caseless ammunition. It's been tried a few times in the past, but not really successfully.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  5. WaterBleu

WaterBleu New Member

this assignment is going for the technical way not the political
    also including some possbile imagination of mine to do the trick.

I spend like an hr yesterday watching future weapons~ so fun!!!
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I think caseless ammunition will come about. It is going to be cheaper for manufacture in military quantities and the drawbacks are going to be overcome with advancing technology.

Cased ammunition is not going to go away, just because of the reloading capability that offers. Not even considering how long existing guns which use cased ammo are going to last.

Electric ignition is not going to be anything but a toy for a long time, because of the need to carry backup power sources with you. That adds to the carry load weight and bulk.

Advances in metalurgy and carbon fiber and such is going to lighten weapons and extend the life of barrels and actions for high fire-rate weapons. Actions are going to have to figure out recoil absorbing schemes to overcome the drawback of lighter weapons of high power.

Just some thoughts from an old phart. :D

Pops
  7. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

I like Future Weapons as well, but I can hardly watch it for more than a few minutes. Can't stand the host.

You could look into new / unique operating systems as well. The operating systems of most firearm designs are at least decades old, some older.

Look up the TDI Kriss for something newer.