The Great Hunting Scam, my version, whats your's?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by jack404, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I'm starting this as hunting funny story thread, so feel free to jump on in and share your funny hunting story , everyone who hunts has one or 2 ;)

the past couple weeks i been bragging in the admin check in thread about going to bag a scrub turkey ( mallee fowl) i keep hearing

i've set out a couple times to chase him down and got no where , calling him up each time

i've gone out in rain and light drizzle and called and heard him call back and so headed of into the soaking thick scrub / rainforest that boarders the escarpment here,

i've found his calling perch and put a nice selection of grubs and bugs on it to hold him there so i could get a shot today ..

i get up there and while i'm waiting the wind comes on cold , i mean real cold for here , i'm home now and its saying 6 deg C and with the wind maybe -10 deg C , but the bugger calls so i sit there , i'm gonna have me a turkey dinner or bust , i waited 40 mins in the wind and cold over looking this small clearing he has as his call roost and centre of his territory , i here a rustle and out pops this bloody lyre bird, and straight away just up onto the dead tree log that he has as a perch and calls out a clear as anything , a scrub turkey call !

he's bloody lucky i was that ticked off with being scammed for 2 weeks i did not shoot , otherwise i'd be having lyre bird for dinner ..

so ok i been made a monkey by a undersized chook with a habit of imitation

so whats your hunting stories ??
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

got to clean my laptop now!! spued coffee all over it!!
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Years ago, while married to my first wife, all the men in the family decided to do a little squirrel hunting down on the Red River in central LA, one Christmass. There were about 8 of us guys in the hunt. One of the brothers-in-law was Jerald, an ex-con who was also a body builder. A very strong man! Since he didn't own a shot gun, I graciously loaned him one of mine, a little light 12ga single shot, along with a hand full of #4 high brass. We all split up, and headed out in different directions, each to do his own hunting. We had decided before leaving the vehicles that we would return in 4 hours. The morning was cool, and pleasant as we began our hunt. As I hunted thru the woods I kept Jerald on my right, about 50 yds out. I had bagged severl squirrels that morning, as had apperantly some of the other guys judging by the shooting going on. I had heard Jerald shoot 4, or 5, times, and just knew that he had bagged a few himself. As it started getting colser to time to head back I circled around to where Jerald was. Meeting up with him I asked if he had been lucky enough to bag a few, and he could see that I had a few to add to the pot as they were hanging from my belt. Jerald had shot nothing, and blamed it on the gun, saying that it didn't shoot straight. At that time I didn't know what his problem was, but I knew that it wasn't the gun! Jerald, and I, headed back towards the truck, hunting along the way. I soon spotted a squirrel in a tree, and since Jerald had nothing, I gave him the shot. He thumbed back the hammer on that old 12 ga, and dropped to a kneeling position. Up untill that time I was watching the squirrel, if Jerald missed, I would shoot. When he went to the kneeling position I had to look around at him, cause it was something I had never seen anyone do before. As I looked around he pointed the gun at the squirrel, and closed both eyes. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and shouted at him to stop! He opened his eyes and looked at me wanting to know why I had stopped him! I told him that he had both eyes closed and didn't want him to waste a shell, because he would hit nothing. I shot the squirrel, and we went to get it. I asked him why he had kneeled down, and then closed his eyes. It took a minute, but he finally convessed that the first time he fired the shot gun it had kicked him down. He said that he had never shot such a powerfull gun in his life, and when he shot it the second time it kicked him down again. He said that he had kneeled down so the gun wouldn't knock him down again, and that he did not know he was closing his eyes. He begged me not to tell the others, but it got out later anyway. I jsut couldn't keep my mouth shut! I guess you would have had to of been there, but it was so funny I laughed till I cried!
  4. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

My brother in law comes down every year for deer gun week here in Ohio. I grew up with him as a kid so I have known him for a long time; good guy and a countless source of entertainment for all during the deer gun week.

Out of the 8-9 years he has been coming down he has taken 3 deer home with him. I can tell story upon story about his escapades in the deer woods. Every year he does something that is just flat out funny, leaves me scratching my head or both.

I will start with his first tagged deer. It was his second year down after going home empty handed the first year. Year one he did get a shot at a 4 point; however, by the time we tracked it down it was found and removed by some low life SOB. We had the unfortunate luck of the deer expiring by the parking area of the State Park that we were hunting; such is life on public land.

Anyway year two finds us in one of the coldest winters for this area in some time. We are both in tree stands hunting 100 yards apart. First two days go by with nothing seen by anyone. I hit the ground trying to push something to him as he sits in the tree stand, but no luck. Day three comes, his last day, and my mid-morning he is grousing over the radio about not seeing anything and is cold and needs to get down. I encourage him to stay put just a bit longer and I will try pushing something to him to which he agrees. As I am working my way out of the tree stand I hear BOOM, BOOM, BOOM real quick. I think to myself he must have been shooting at a runner, and then his voice comes over the radio and says that was me and the deer is down! I’m shaking my head laughing to myself because I knew it was him, we were the only two in the area and at 100 yards it still sounds like you are next to the guy shooting. Any way I congratulate and he asks me what he should do next?

I asked him if he saw the direction the deer ran off, he responded that it did not run off, that it just laid down. I asked him at this point if it was still alive, to which he responded that he did not know for sure as it laid down behind a thicket that he could not see through. He told me that 3 came in; a mature doe and two smaller deer and that he shot the first thing that gave him an opportunity. I asked him which one he shot and he said he couldn’t remember, but he only saw two deer run off. So I said sit tight for about 20 minutes and give the deer time to expire. I told him I would start making my way over to him.

On the way to his location I hear another 3 shots, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, and I’m thinking to myself what the hell is he doing? I get on the radio and ask him what the hell is going on. He replies that he was too cold and excited to wait so he slowly got down to sneak up on the deer. Well you can guess what happened right? The deer hears/sees the commotion and was getting the hell out of dodge, problem was that one of his first 3 shots hit the deer in the hind quarters, and it was a yearling, so their natural instinct is to bed down. Now it wanted nothing else to do with being there and tried to run, but couldn’t, hence the next 3 shots.

So I finally arrive at his location and he is standing over his first deer ever happy as can be with a big grin on his face. Again I congratulate him on his first deer, then look down at this poor yearling that has six holes in it and looks like Swiss cheese. He has never gutted a deer so I walk him through it and as you might expect with six holes in it the gut was busted. He’s all worried about it and I explain don’t worry we’ll get it cleaned up and it will be alright. So we set about finishing the task at hand. Mean time I have a buddy that goes with us each year and he was hunting on his own. He heard all the commotion and called over the radio that he was headed to our location.

Now one thing you need to know about my BIL is that he buys every gadget known to man for any occasion and one of these gadgets happened to be a deer sled; made of plastic and rolls up like a bed roll. Not a bad thing to have, but not something that I would hump into the woods strapped to my back pack, and not for such a small deer. He is excited that he gets to use this thing so after we get the deer gutted he starts strapping the little deer to the sled with the ropes that came with the sled happy as a pig in mud with his first deer.

By now my buddy shows up and takes one look at the deer and asks who shot the dog? Instantly all signs of glee are gone from my BIL’s face and I admit it was priceless to see. After getting the deer secured, or so we thought, in this sled contraption we start making our way out of the woods. The deer, because of its size, kept falling out of the sled, so we had to stop every 20-30 yards and re-secure it. I was getting agitated and so was my friend that it was taking so long to get this deer out of the woods. It seemed like every step we took that yearling fell out of the sled.

Finally it fell out one to many times and I could not stand it any longer. I handed off my gear to my buddy and told my BIL that we were through with the sled. He looked at me and said well how the hell are we going to get this out of here. I bent down picked up the yearling and threw it over my shoulder and told him a hell of a lot quicker than you were moving.

Needless to say for my BIL his first deer is not a great memory but it is for us that were there with him.:D
  5. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

Here in Nevada we have two kinds of rabbits.Jack-rabbits and cotton tails.You only eat the cotton tails.I still had a licence from deer season so we went rabbit hunting. A friend eats and cooks them so it just weren't killing them and wasting the meat.I was using a Mitchell-Arms AK-22.I really wasn't aiming through the site just spraying bullets at a rabbit 100 yards away and I missed with the whole 29 round magazine,the rabbit was bouncing up and down and side to side but bullets hit within inches all around the rabbit.I quickly reached for another mag but as I looked at the rabbit standing on it's hind legs listening at a distance with it's ears sticking strait up,I was sighted in for the kill but I didn't shoot.I figured it survived the whole mag full of 22's so I let it live.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. pops42

pops42 New Member

high up on the blue ridge mountains of Va.
    yea that one deserved to live a bit longer ,but that reminds me of yesterday ,it was around 100degress here after my boy had got home from school and done his home work he ask me if we could plink a bit in the back yard so i said yea ,and we had been doing it for about an hour i had seen a squiril watching us for about 30 minutes or so it was a good 75yards away or so and my little girl came out to join us and she seen it right off the bat , and asked if we could shoot it ,i said naw they aint in season so we shot up our target some more and my boy decided he was going to shot it anyway he had his little 22 and shoot at it twice and it never moved so my little girl said cota give me that gun and one shot right in the head ,i didnt realize she was going to shot it ,so they went to get it so we could clean it to eat and cota said i sure got a nice one ,remi looked at him and said noway i killed i am going to eat it ,you want one you shot straighter next time and get your own, i laughed the whole time i was cleaning it
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have a great hunting story but I don't think the statute of limitations has expired yet. :eek::D
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

We were out in Central Nevada one year with a young Airman from Nellis AFB and another young who had done quite a bit of shooting but no hunting.

Those two were heading back to camp just before sundown and kicked up a little forked horn. Now Joe had the Springfield with 6 rounds up and Mahlon had the Enfield with 7 rounds up.

Have you ever seen a 90 pound deer with 13 holes (counting only entrance) in him? :D

Pops
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    many,many years ago i had two friends that got me a special hunt in a indiana powder plant,they both worked there for many years and actually had a tree house with power for lights and heat,it also had a roof.the main thing was it was hidden from the road and if you did not know where it was you would miss it.i was told where to go in at and to not use a light because it may be discovered.they told me that after i entered the trail and had gone about 30-40 yards to raise my hand over my head and when i felt a low limb i was to make a immediate right to the tree and nice climbing ladder.this was not something i usually did without a light but i had to trust them.i guess i had my arm stuck in the air after only 20 yards but i didnt want to miss my turn.i walked very slowly and it was a little spooky in almost total darkness.i finally hit the limb and grabbed it or so i thought but i actually had a hold of a great horned owl,it must of had a four or five foot wing spread.the wings almost beat me to death because i couldnt let go,i was terrified.thank god i had a good bowl movement that morning or i would of had to change my pants.it took quite a while before i could make my self move again,i will never forget it. old semperfi
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My dad took his pastor squirrel hunting. The preacher had never hunted anything in his life, but wanted to learn. Dad loaned him a shotgun, and they set out one winter morning. They split up a little, not so much that they couldn't holler at one another, and started out thru the woods. About good light dad walked up on a owl that had killed a squirrel, and eaten the head off of it. Dad's approach scared the owl off, so dad picked up the squirrel, put it in his hunting vest, and continued to hunt. After about an hour had passed, and neither of them had seen a squirrel, dad decided that they might try another place. Walking over to where the preacher was, dad asked him if he had seen anything, and the preacher said that he seen nothing. Dad told him that he had only seen one. The preacher asked him why he didn't shoot it, and dad told him that the squirrel was close enough that he didn't need to shoot. Dad told the preacher that he had just decided to ugly him to death. Now the preacher knew my dad fairly well, and he knew that dad was up to something, but he decided to go along with this uglying squirrels to death thing. So he asked just how that was done. Dad told the preacher that when he spotted the squirrel he was real close to it, about 20 feet. So he hid bethind a tree, and shook a small limb just a little to get the squirrels attention. Then suddenly he stuck his head out from behind the tree, and uglyed the squirrel to death. One look from the squirrel at something as unly as him was all that was needed to make the squirrel's head explode! The preacher knew his leg was being pulled, but when dad produced the headless squirrel! Well, what could he say. Dad kept him on the hook for several weeks before he finally told him the real story! The best part was when it got out to the other folks in chuch!
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

1987, the plains of Colorado, two hours east of Denver. My father-in-law asked if I wanted to go antelope hunting with him and a buddy. He loaned me a .25-06 he had built himself, frickin thing was nine feet long and weighed 25 pounds. (Slight exaggeration, but you get the picture.) "Naw, you don't need to sight it in, it's already sighted." We spent three hours bouncing around on his buddy's land, taking a few shots at coyotes, and finally set up at the bottom of a long hill. We'd spotted a couple of does on an antelope trail. Antelope don't jump, as the bones in their legs are hollow, so when they reach a barb wire fence they hunker down on their bellies and scoot under the wire. Definitely something worth seeing. A fine buck eventually came along. I had the elephant gun across the hood of the truck and just as I squeezed off the perfect shoulder shot, he stepped forward and I shot him (the antelope, not my father-in-law) through the lungs. Then he disappeared. I was convinced my father-in-law wanted that gun to put me on my ass - he was "funny" that way - but I had held on and made the shot at 420 yards. The only half-decent thing he ever said to me was 15 years later, when he admitted he never thought I could make that shot.

I knew the antelope was somewhere over that hill and I wasn't lugging that bazooka up there, so I took off on foot with my .357 S&W. Found him a few minutes later in a box ravine - what a mess, blood and foam spraying everywhere out of his chest and mouth. Got close enough for a good head shot and finished him off. Left a fine meal of innards for the scavengers, gave the meat to my father-in-law's buddy, and I got these.

Attached Files:

12. whip

whip New Member

Fifteen years ago I went on trip to Canada to hunt bears with some friends and took along my 10 year old son. My son loved the hunting bears over bait and we had a great time. First night in the stand my son tried to help the guide with the bait for the barrel. He ended up getting the secret bait scent all over his boots. My son climbs in the stand with me and the wait begins. About two hours into the wait I see a small 2 or 3 year old black bear coming into the bait. As the bear comes to the bait it hits the trail of my son to the tree stand. Bear turns and follows the trail to the base of the tree we are sitting in. Then we hear scratch scratch and suddenly the bears head pops up over the floor of the tree stand about 10 inches from us. Both of our eyes were big at this point. Suddenly the bears tongue shoots out and licks my son's rubber boots that are covered in the secret bait to draw in the bears. At this point I moved my bow with an arrow towards the bears head just in case I needed to keep it from trying to take the boot and the boy from the stand. The bear looked up at me, bawled, then jumped from the stand and ran off through the woods. We were both speechless.

Last winter I took my new son in law hunting coyotes. I told him to be ready and watch to the west down wind side for the coyote. Second call series he is run over by the first of three coyotes that came screaming into the call. Coyote jumped over his legs at a hard lope. He was to startled to shoot. My daughter killed a second coyote that was to the south and then all holy heck broke loose. My new son in law opened up with my AR on the third coyote dumping it on the first shot at a dead run. Lucky shot! Then he turned on the first coyote that was now about 100 yards out. I Ki Yied and it stopped and he started shooting 29 rounds later it was still traveling away at a much higher rate of speed. I laughed and laughed. He is learning however and getting better every trip. But he hit the hard 100 yard running shot and missed an easy 100 yard broad side standing shot. I just need to keep reloading ammo for the AR for the next visit.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

how big is a 2-3 yr one ?