The greatest challenge of a pastor in the south

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I was hoping pastor Terry would tell me that it would be ok. I mean, give me a reason to go on. Why would any of us go on? Why? I mean, the presidency and all else is a hopeless matter in 012 and there is nothing left to live for. Right? Right? I mean, if your a christian you certainly wouldnt worry about who is going to be in office in 012 or anything else for that matter, right? Stop eating now! Stop exsisting and quit your jobs now! Why toil one more moment? Why? I am getting weak now.........gulp.....
  2. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

I hear you, I have to deal with racism just about everyday mainly from family. I have nothing against anyone no matter the race, I do not think am better then anyone else just because of color. The thing that gets under my skin is when people try to use the Bible to justify racism. All I can do is pray for these people and hope God will open there eyes to there ignorance.
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

people...its up to each Pastor to decide IF they desire a wage for preaching. the best ministers I have met are those who truly recieved the calling of the lord and do not accept a wage for doing what God has asked of them. now God also tells me to support these Called ministers in whatever way i can. if it be food, car repairs ect then I am called upon by God to do so. Just like some of use have been "called" to give cash to certian people, ( and we all on this forum said it was Gods way of providing) So to will God provide for out favorite pastor here! AND DOUBLE D, EAT STARVING YOURSELF IS A FORM OF SUICIDE! besides I dont think i could bear the sound of your final moments. so if you are determined to die some way,,eat ALL the food so those IDIOTS wont get any!! OR send to Ampaterry! im sure he would appreciate the change from beaneeweenies!!
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'd probably just skip over that post. ;):D:D:D
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I saw no reason to argue with you, Double D, as it seems your mind is made up.

I will watch you fade, then will preach your funeral.

And out of deference to your wishes, I will collect $$ from the participants, and spend it on myself.

LOL!!!!!!
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ha! I knew it! Just kidding. Anyhow, thanks for offering to do the preaching....
  7. ampaterry

I have been looking at some real necessities we need -
    Gold plated bathroom fixtures!!
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Terry,

'Spose you could preach mine after I eat myself to death? ;)
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I went back and read Terry's orig post and I realize that i did not have the correct understanding of what was being said so i have retracted my statement.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  10. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Well I guess I have to ask a question. Was he upset that the preacher used the word nagger or that naggers will be in heaven?
  11. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

sadly, i'm pretty sure it was because they'll be in heaven.
  12. ampaterry

Sure, if the money is right -

:D

Seriously, preaching a funeral is the hardest of my duties. I attempt to lighten the mood with humor, yet maintain the solemnity of the day. I attempt to give closure to the family and friends of the deceased, while getting the fact across that the goodbye need not be permanent.
    It is FAR harder than a wedding, dedication, or regular preaching service.

Hunter is right, sadly. He ceased going to church because one said there would be blacks in heaven. The implication to me was that this man would rather burn in hell that have a black neighbor in paradise.
    This was many years ago, but the attitude remains in this rural isolated area.
    Not that long ago, I walked into a hardware store in Erin, and the clerk IMMEDIATELY came over to me and asked if he could help me.
    There was an elderly black man at the counter with merchandise in his hand that he wanted to buy, but the clerk had left him standing there to come and wait on me. I motioned to the black man and said "He was here first."
    He looked miffed, and went and rang up the black customers purchase.

Another time, there was a very nice restaurant in Dixon that we enjoyed going to on special occasions. There was usually a line waiting for tables, because this place was GREAT.
    On this trip, we were there after church, as were most of the people in the line. Two couples ahead of us, there was a very nice looking and well dressed black couple. When it was their turn to be seated, the matre di pointedly ignored them and took the couple behind them.
    We stood there frowning, trying to figure out why he did this, since both were parties of two -
    Then he came back again, ignored them AGAIN, and took the next couple in line.
    I turned to the black couple who were now directly in front of us and said "The food here is good - but not good enough to put up with this!"
    We turned and walked out the door, followed by the black couple and several other white couples who had witnessed this.
    We have not been back.
  13. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I'm not much for going to church. But on the last several occasions I was in church, I noticed that I was the only white man in attendance. Everyone was kind and I felt right at home. After services I enjoyed a good meal with friends old and new.

This is not to say that Michigan is without racism. But I can say that heaven most assuredly will have a great many black saints in attendance. Should I get there I, for one, will enjoy the company of all my brothers and sisters.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  14. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

people of color, that would be all of us, are a part of God's creativity. who am i to not appreciate His creation?

this is the way i look at "race". we are all 1 race, the human race. ;)
  15. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I have often wondered if God in his wisdom created diffrent skin colores as a test for his true believers? after all ist NOT the color of your skin that matters to GOD, but the CONDITION of your SOUL!!