The Gun-Show "Loophole"

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by hogger129, May 28, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

What is the "Gun Show Loophole?" I was reading some news about concealed carry in Wisconsin and how some gun control advocates are willing to compromise and allow concealed carry to happen in Wisconsin if the "gun show loophole" is closed. What exactly is the gun-show loophole? I guess only federally-licensed gun dealers have to run background checks. I mean wouldn't running background checks on ALL firearms be a good thing? I think it would certainly help them stay out of the hands of people that shouldn't have them. I guess I don't understand what that term means. And why the gun-control advocates want it closed. Usually gun-control advocates have something they're not telling us. What is the hidden agenda behind their "compromise?"
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. wpage

wpage Active Member

Its like the do nut hole in SS. Hard to get a handle on.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

To close the "gun show loophole" , which doesn't exist, every sale of a firearm will have to be checked. The only ones allowed to check a firearm buyer are firearms dealers and LEO. So, when you decide to sell you Browning to a buddy, so you can afford that Henry, you will both have to go down to the shop and pay for a background check.

Now, this is a good thing, because it will make all those thieves,burglars, dope dealers and gang members show up at the local LEO shop in order to sell and buy their stolen guns. That in itself will stop all those guns from committing those crimes. It might even mean that fewer guns will be stolen, as the guns will know that they are not to change ownership without a background check. The guns then might turn on the thieves and shoot them. That would save the honest gun owners the trouble of having to get out of bed to protect their homes, families and selves. Sounds like win/win to me.

Pops
  4. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    The "loophole" is the U.S. Constitution, which makes the states pre-eminent in the regulation of the ownership, possession, and use of private property. An intrastate transfer of private property from one person to another, where both are residents of the same state in which the transaction occurred, is not subject to regulation under the Commerce Clause.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

ROFLMAO
    Good-un Pops.
  6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Outstanding point!
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed! Very well said.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Thanks guys. I just didn't know what it really meant and I know gun-control advocates always have some tricky business behind their smiling faces. So I wanted the low-down on it from you guys first.
  9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Remember, the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife;):p
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Richard, check your PMs

Pops
  11. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    The so-called loophole is where private citizens sell their goods to another private citizen. This is done without a waiting period or back ground check. The anti's think that's how bangers and hoods get their guns. Actually, to tell the truth, I've been to several very large shows and you don't really see a punk laying down $600-700 for an older collectible pistol or rifle. The new stuff is sold by the licensed dealers. They make you do all the forms, etc. So, the loop hole is you buy from a PC, and walk out with it. You buy from a dealer and you get to go to their store and pick it up after the legal time has been fulfilled. So, Bob's your Uncle, that's it in a nutshell. TJ
  12. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

Q: What do you call it when a guy (or gal) buys a firearm privately from another guy (or gal) in their home, driveway, on a country road, in a restaurant parking lot, etc.?

A: a completely legal “face to face” transaction.

Q: What do you call it when that exact same guy (or gal) buys that exact same firearm from the exact same other guy (or gal) in the exact same fashion in the parking lot of a swap meet or gun show?

A: a “Gun Show Loophole”!

The media would like you to believe that private sales taking place between individuals who are not part of the gun show are in fact what the “loophole” is about. An individual who is not in the business of selling firearms, yet trades or sells a firearm to another private individual, is not obligated to obtain the federal license required of gun dealers or to call the FBI before completing the sale. This is a PRIVATE transaction and thus is not part of a “gun show” and is by default not part of any “loophole”.

In essence, “gun show loopholes” are akin to the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.
    The jury is still out on Santa.
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Pretty much sums it up Annie.

Thanks.:)
  14. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

[​IMG]
  15. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I have seen dealers purchase guns from private citizens at the shows, but have not seen citizens selling to other citizens out of the trunks of cars, etc. like 'they' are always talking about. Could be that it just doesn't happen around here, or I don't see it happen. Perhaps I don't look shady enough to be in on the secret. ;)
  16. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

First time I bought a weapon from the guy, he had me sign a piece of paper that meant nothing. Next ones were just handshake and thanks very much. Same as when i sell one. I don't believe in that loophole accusation and sure don't feel like I need to 'comply'.
  17. RJD

RJD New Member

"the last gunshow i went to, my buddy bought a glock 22 40 caliber from a private deal. no background check, no ID, just cash and a handshake. the way it should be, and the way it still is some of the time in kentucky"

If I bought a gun from a guy I didn't know I would always wonder if I might now own a stolen gun.
  18. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Thats happens when you have made the entire loop thru a gunshow trying to sell a nice piece and you've encountered all the a-holes degrading your firearm to lowball you. And just as you're leaving, after wasting your time and money someone comes thru the door, see's what you have and its exactly what they are looking for and gives you good money for it. But there again even the leftists have coined the phrase the "So called gun show loophole":rolleyes::confused::eek:
  19. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

20. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

close the "loophole" and the bad guys will still get guns. The only thing it would accomplish is to slow down the good guys from protecting themselves.

FWIW, I used to see trunk sales in the parking lot at local guns shows all the time, but not as much any more. There has been no law changes, so I can only attribute it to everyone is holding on to what they have.