1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

"The Gun"

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by polishshooter, May 12, 2011.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Started a new book, "The Gun" by C.J. Chivers.

A history of the AK-47, not necesarily a "complete history of" but a "comprehensive" history of it's influence on war and conflict since 1949..

And not "Pro-Gun" or "Anti-Gun" either; yeah, written by a NY TImes "Journalist" but he also was a Captain in the USMC at one time too...

Pretty interesting, with a lot of "caveats" on the legends and the problens with Soviet Histories/Propaganda, but then starting with the history of "Machine Guns" starting with Dr. Gatling in Indianapolis...

Boy, Hiram Maxim was really an @sshole!:p
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yep, everywhere you go , there's AK's or their clones ..
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Funny with all the Russian stuff I have owned over the years, I have NEVER (yet!:p) owned an AK, clone or otherwise...

For some reason even when I shoot them I never get too excited over them, seem to me to be nothing more than a pleasant way to waste a lot of cheap ammo...accuracy was never something I witnessed out of anybody's else's AK, except for the Valmet I fired once, but it was in 5.56...and I KINDA want to own a Galil someday, although in 5.56....

Now I have owned and enjoyed several SKS's, and my Yugo 59/66 is a little heavy for the round, but I can live with it's 3-4" groups at 100 from a bench, it's not too shabby even if it's trigger is more like a GATE LATCH:mad:....and it's good to have SOME rifle around that can fire cheap x39 ammo...:cool:

I may have to buy one sometime soon just to have one, but call me a homey, if I just MUST have a rifle that takes 30 round clips give me my AR any day....

Don't get me wrong, I will give you everything about reliability and simplicity of Russian guns, I love the Mosin Nagant and the x54 round, and I LOVE my Makarov pistols, accurate reliable AND simple....but I can't explain why I have NEVER felt all the "Warm Fuzzy" feelings everybody else seems to get over an AK.....

Now maybe if it was a REAL AKM or whatever, with three positions on the safety...;) I would feel different...(I'll tell you about the "Dirty Thirty" NVA capture off paper Chinese AK I was "loaned" for two weeks once,:) but couldn't bring myself to actually FIRE...THAT one was pretty cool;):)
    Last edited: May 13, 2011