The Hue City Olympics

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/29/02 10:15:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All The Hue City Olympics
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thats right gang ... We had our fair share of Olympic Games in that wonderful city along the bonnie banks of the Perfume River.

Had us a lot of those "dash" type races but ya did'nt get very far before ole' Charlie opened up on your hiney with everything he had. A Marine would go down here and there as we advance through the streets but we just had to keep moving and move we did in our own kind of way ... All the while we wuz "kickin' ass and takin' names" .....

Take "one" ... just one of ours and we'll take ten of yours and with extreme prejudice!

Sure was'nt your common "Sunday stroll in the park" but more like the childrens game of "leap frog" that got us another block or so up the road.

YUP! Those were certainly the good ole' days. :)

[​IMG]

Six Out!

"HUE CITY SHOOTOUT PARTICIPANT ..... RVN '68 TET OFFENSIVE"

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (6/29/02 11:44:13 am)
    Re: The Hue City Olympics
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes it seems as if pictures like those are things from THE TWILIGHT ZONE---you scan them, and ponder the figures there,---where are they now---did they make it up that street---did they wind up as pointless, senseless, non-meaning figures at the next morning intel report to the general--were their names included into the WIA or the KIA column of figures? The picture looks like a typical marine fire team---fire and manuever---ever vigilant, but if you don't see that enemy rifleman who has you in his sight picture, you'll trust Jonesy or Smitty or The Polack will burn his ass first---you'd be expected to do it for them---and you did. The sights and the sounds and the smells---so tensed-up that you can smell the fear---if not others, then your own. Wilborn

ruffitt
    *VMBB Staff*
    (7/1/02 11:32:56 am)

I guess I am more fortunate than most, in that I did not have to participate in the various forms of Olympics that those poor bastards (this term used in the affectionate tense) not only in Hue but also those in the bush, had to endure.

Just so I not mis-lead anyone, even tho I'm a Vietnam Vet and a TET survivor, my assignment was to Long Binh Post with the 2nd Signal Group, 1st Signal Brigade (what some call a "Saigon Warrior"). My duties there, and for the most part of my Military Career, were in the JAG field as a 71D Legal/Senior Legal Clerk. Like I stated, I was more fortunate than others in that my assignments were always to rear echelon Headquarters type environments.

About the only Olympic type activity we partook of would be a "mad ass scramble" in the 50 meter dash to the bunker when Charlie and company would try sapping or rocketing the ammo dump down by the 90th Replacement Battalion.

I have no real "war" stories to tell, as I was not an active participant in the combat sense of the word (other than a couple of deployments as a reactionary force member). I do, however, have mucho experience in "combat volleyball" and combat basketball". To those of you who were less fortunate than myself and had to endure the rigors and consequences of actual combat, you have my utmost respect and admiration.

That being said, and being all I have to offer, I offer all my deepest----

Regards

RuffItt

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/1/02 12:42:12 pm)
    Well said Mr. Ruffitt ..... We ALL did our part there no matter what assingments we were allocated. It was one big gigantic "team effort" as far as I am concerned and though some were more fortunate than others I would not have wished what I went through on anyone.

Well ..... Maybe one of my ex's :)

In any case sir .... You went .... Did what was asked of you and best of all ya made it back .....

"Welcome Home Brother"

Six

Edited by: SixTGunr at: 7/2/02 1:49:54 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/1/02 7:17:42 pm)

Thumbs Up Foks!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Rick from Mich
    (8/6/02 6:30:42 pm)
    Hey SIXT, when you guys from the 5th Marines moved up to Hue during Tet I was with a group from The 7th Marines who moved into An Hoa. Ya had to love Arizona eh?

"ARIZONA VALLEY SHOOTOUT PARTICIPANT ..... RVN '68 TET OFFENSIVE"

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/9/02 10:12:41 am)
    Sure did Rick ... Wish I could have stayed in the Arizona cause that Hue City was "definately" hazardous to your health. BIGTIME!

Six

AlT
    (8/16/02 9:00:17 am)
    I was in Hue this past February
    First went back to Vietnam in 1994 with a group of CAP marine vets. (I was Hotel 2/5 and then later with a CAP unit in 1968.) I missed the Tet offensive (darn it) in '68, but I was able to watch it on TV at the AF hospital at Cam Ranh where I was medevaced two weeks earlier. Hue is an interesting town to visit today, much more relaxing than Saigon. There is still battle damage visible, but Hue has been largely rebuilt. The old university buiding on the corner of Le Loi near the bridge is now a luxury hotel called the Morin. There is a photo of a marine machine gun team positioned during that battle on that corner in the Keith Nolan book about the battle (Battle For Hue, I think). If any of you are thinking about returning to Vietnam, I suggest you do it before getting any older. I'm 53 now and found myself tiring quicker than during my '94 visit. And don't forget to try the local beer, Huda (a contraction for Hue and Danish, I'm told, for the Danes who set up the brewery along the Perfume River).

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/16/02 11:00:18 pm)

Re: I was in Hue this past February
    Welcome Aboard AIT and Welcome Home!

Please jump in on any of the forums anytime and
    as much as you like!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

AlT
    (8/27/02 11:54:27 am)
    Canadian who served with 7th Marines in VN
    I am from Detroit and know a Canadian citizen who came down to join the Marines and ended up with the 7th Marines in Vietnam in 1967-68. I just visited with Alex Kandic in Montreal. By chance do you know him? I will give you my phone number if you are interested. I served with Hotel 2/5 and then with a Combined Action Platoon Dec 67-Dec 68... Al