The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot Trip

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (4/17/02 8:26:52 am)

The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot Trip
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I woke up Friday morning with the realization that I had not heard the alarm clock, yelled at mom, put my boots on and we ran out the door. Made it to the airport in time (thank god it's only 5-6 minutes away - especially at 5am in the morning). Got on the plane and proceeded towards Kentucky.

Had a 2 hour layover in Minneapolis-StPaul and then a 3 1/2 hour layover in Detroit. Somehow missed connecting with a good friend while in Detroit - for some reason we couldn't find each other (man is that place big now that they've redone it).

Got on the plane to head for Louisville and there I sat for almost 40 minutes before we finally took off. All I could think was damn going to be late and I sure hope Packrat waits as he was going to pick me up (he drove up from southern Florida to go). Anyhow made it about 1/2 hour late and looked around while waiting for my luggage - didn't see anybody who resembled Pack - I began to get worried. The bag arrived and I headed out the door to see if his car was anywhere around. A nice white Firebird pulled up and a man stepped out and said TLynn? Yippee I had not been forgotten (good thing to because I'm not sure me renting a car and trying to drive in a city [or even out of the city] would of been a good idea).

About 30 minutes later we made it to Brandenburg - where the hotel was, checked in and went to the meeting room to visit all the others who had arrived. Had a blast Friday night visiting and finally went to sleep about 2am Saturday morning. Got up at 7am and headed out for the Creek. It was muddy and they wouldn't let the Firebird into the lower lot (good thing too considering some of the 4x4's that got stuck later and had to be pulled out). Went to the school and parked and waited for the van to show up - 4 van trips later and we finally arrived.

Pack even exclaimed how many more people were there this April as compared to last year. He also forgot his checkbook so the driver of the van took him back and also didn't let anybody on the van till he got back on. In the meantime I bought a subscription to ShotGun News (about time I guess). Pack showed up and off to the show and shooting we went.

I did not shoot anything this past weekend though. Pack had arranged for me to shoot a Vickers but unfortunately we could not get to the Creek in time. Got to watch a lot of shooting and Saturday night the tracer fire was out of this world. The colors alone made it worth it! We spent Saturday morning and part of the early afternoon looking at stuff and watching some of the shooting, then we headed back to the hotel for some rest before the evening shoot.

Saturday night after the shoot we got back and crashed - didn't even bother to see if any of the others wanted to visit (I was just plain tired and I'm sure he was as well).

Sunday morning up bright and early and back to the Creek. This time we got into the upper parking lot so we barely had to walk far to get to the actual events and vendors. Some had already shut down, packed up and left. And after the torrential downpours that occurred (which didn't seem to stop the shooting any - lol) even more left or didn't bother to open. Wandered around and picked up a few items here and there including an adjustable trigger for my AK - will let you all know how that works when I get it in and test it out on the range.

I had the most fun watching people - it was a trip. We got tired about noon and left, took a little nap and Pack took me to the Museum and Fort Knox - awesome tanks! Spent a couple of hours there (it was funny about the searching of all vehicles going in - we had 453 rounds of 7.62x39 in the trunk - we also told them we had it). They let us in anyway and we wandered around the museum.

We left finally went back to the hotel and cleaned up and he took me to Indiana for dinner (closer going there than into Louisville). We came back and proceeded to talk until 2am - got to quit that. Got up at 6:30am, got dressed, finished packing and he dropped me off at the airport and headed back for Florida.

Going to go next April - this time if nothing else I'll pay the money to use a flamethrower - now that was cool!

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/17/02 9:20:35 am)
    Reply Re: The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot Trip
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like it was a great weekend. One thing for sure ... It sounded far better than my weekend anyway. Thanks for laying put the itinerary "T". Glad ya made it home safely

"What more can I say ..... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time"

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (4/17/02 12:48:31 pm)
    Reply Re: The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot Trip
    A very full and busy itinery --- after that i sure bet it was good to get back into your own home and surroundings. Thanks for the walk-thru. Wilborn

ruffitt
    *VMBB Staff*
    (4/18/02 4:01:31 am)

Re: The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot Trip
    TLynn -

Glad you had a good time.

What do you thing of that good ole Kentucky red clay? It's a blast when it's wet and slippery. And that same clay is one of the reasons there is so much standing water when it rains down there - the clay won't let the water penetrate into the soil.

Too bad you didn't get a chance to go to the "First Chance - Last Chance" while you were there. Hardin County is a dry county, and Bullitt county is a wet county. So, - naturally the "First Chance" is the first place in Bullitt County that serves liquor when you head north on "31". Likewise, it is the last chance to get a drink as you are going south on "31". Spent many a day/night in that place once upon a time.

Maybe, just maybe, next year Tag-A-Long and I will come down for the shoot, and we'll take you there.

Anyway, glad you had yourself some fun and made the return trip safely.

Regards
    RuffItt

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (4/18/02 7:43:26 am)

ruffit - would love to have you and Tagalong along. Only problem I see is if it were muddy again - it would be hard getting around (the actual shoot is in a very strange area got to go uphill to see part of it and downhill to see the other part. If'n it was dry you'd have a blast.

I for one liked the rain and mud but then again the weather there beats the 32 degrees this morning here.

ruffitt
    *VMBB Staff*
    (4/19/02 3:12:46 am)

TLynn -

Been there - done that.

I was stationed at Ft Knox from mid-1972 until I retired from the Army in September of '79 (except for the year I went back to Korea from 77 - 7 . Only visited the "Creek" one time, - way back when----.
    RuffItt

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (4/20/02 10:48:15 pm)

T,
    Where there any quad-50's there? If there are when you go again, ya gotta see if you can try out the 1/2 inch artillery. It's loud but what a kick in the a$$!
    Glad to hear you had a safe trip.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (4/20/02 10:58:06 pm)

berto - I think there might of been. I do know something was really booming at some point - the whole ground shook. Didn't get up to the firing line to see much though - got sidetracked at all the gun stuff (lol).

I am going back next April and this time I intend to shoot something or at least rent the flame thrower.

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (4/21/02 12:19:46 pm)

Zippo girl!

berto

Endeaver to Persevere