The Legend ......

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by JohnHenry, May 30, 2012.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You know, I've always heard that the way you can tell a poser is he talks about it. If someone in a bar is telling all his exploits where he was a Green Beret in Vietnam, it's a pretty good bet that he was neither a Green Beret nor in Vietnam. "People that have been there and done that don't like to talk about it." Heard that for years and years and years.

Guess that doesn't apply any more.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Alpo, not every guy who talks about it is BS , its a big part of PTSD treatment , but picking who you talk about stuff with and where is just as important . and from what i read that sides not taught all that much in the US and so folks have hassles and get shouted down for no reason ..

but yes there are a lot of BS glory hounds out there too , 40 year old 'nam vet's ;) we recently dug one out who'd been lying to the system since 1946 claimed he joined a militia and got caught by the japs and locked up in changi for 6 years .. he became head of the POW association ... all BS he's now in gaol, 90 years old or not and he'll do 4 more , thats what ya do with the BS'ers

ways to pick te difference

the folks doing the PTSD or ainxiety stuiff will talk military friends and team mates , missions and actions but not the gore etc , they stop there , its not good to dwell on that but the lead up prep , know what you did was correct is settling especially with anxienty folks , We try to teach to be like a steam valve , let it out slow and even , let folks know what you did , they have a interest and let em know your the same as them but your experiences differ, and that the military strengthens your , makes you a bit better

to be proud of thier own service as sometime these illness's trick folks into thinking otherwise

the doofus's who talk BS about killing and such .. BINGO ...
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Rules of thumb like that aren't necessarily accurate, particularly when describing vets. Some guys absolutely will never talk about their experiences, others wont except when talking to another vet, yet there are others who do because they are trying to make sense of these experiences by discussing them.

When it comes to posers there's also this ploy. I've known some who will say, "I don't want to talk about it" for good reason; they've got nothing to talk about. But in saying they don't want to talk about it, they really are. What this particular poser is implying is that "my experiences were so bad I can't talk about them, so think of me as a hero".

One shouldn't judge the voracity of another on such an erroneous supposition as that. There is a good chance your opinion could be very very wrong.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

like the new avitar ROMT
  6. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

I read the book, it's good. He is not one of the sort that thinks he's better then everyone else. In fact he considered himself lucky, when he was on the scope, terorists just seemed to walk out in his view. I'd buy it for a friend.
  7. Airdale

Airdale Member

Good read. I highly recommend the book. He's a good ol' Texas cowboy. Runs a low profile training facility there now.